Running thread 2023

Well that's it - final long run in the bag. 20.5 miles in 4hrs and 4mins. That's good for me so, all being well I'll hopefully be looking at something around 5hrs 10mins. All downhill from now till the big day. Roll on London, 3 weeks tomorrow 🎉🎉🎉
Great stuff, hard work is done just enjoy the experience now.

I did it 2 years ago and I have never experienced an atmosphere like it especially around cutty sark.

Blyth 10k for me today, had a hamstring injury so haven't trained properly for 2 weeks so might just run it with the missus.

Well that's it - final long run in the bag. 20.5 miles in 4hrs and 4mins. That's good for me so, all being well I'll hopefully be looking at something around 5hrs 10mins. All downhill from now till the big day. Roll on London, 3 weeks tomorrow 🎉🎉🎉
I think you'll surprise yourself. You can take 10 to 15 percent off a training run on the day as you'll have adrenalin and crowd along with fellow runners to get/keep you going.

I think you'll surprise yourself. You can take 10 to 15 percent off a training run on the day as you'll have adrenalin and crowd along with fellow runners to get/keep you going.
Would love to get under 5 hours. Am considering following the 5h pacers and seeing how it goes but worried I'll knacker myself.

Would love to get under 5 hours. Am considering following the 5h pacers and seeing how it goes but worried I'll knacker myself.
Wouldn't even look at pacers. I'm planning on breaking it up into 6 or 8 mile sections. Target certain times and go from there. Its tough to keep up with pacers and if you see them disappear into the distance its disheartening. Never done London but I enter every year. Enjoy it as looks a great event. I'll watch with sore feet after Manchester looking forward to leeds

Managed to break the 30k barrier yesterday with 8 weeks to go. Kept it steady throughout, KM 30 being the quickest.
Part of the c2c being shut is a bit of a pain in the arse. Followed the diversion up a never ending path that was covered in sludge that brings you out at the SoL.

I’m probably slightly ahead of schedule for where I need to be so can probably afford to chuck in a few shorter runs. 34k is the longest one i’ll be doing with plenty of time to get there so happy with the progress so far.

Hit a 5k pb a few weeks back aswell. (22:15). Fairly confident I could improve on it still but being sensible and sticking to intervals rather than just going out fast as I can for my high intensity runs.

Get 9 or 10 in during the next couple of weeks and you'll be fine. Hope it's cooler than last year.

Not sure whether to do half or 10k. Leeds is week after and pier to.pier week after. Sensible to do 10k?
Dragged my arse out last night for 9 miles. Will try and do 11 next weekend then that'll do me.
Steady away last night on my 9 miles and I didn't feel dead at the end. If I can keep that pace for the HM then I'll beat last year's time by about 10 minutes

Dragged my arse out last night for 9 miles. Will try and do 11 next weekend then that'll do me.
Steady away last night on my 9 miles and I didn't feel dead at the end. If I can keep that pace for the HM then I'll beat last year's time by about 10 minutes
Looked at previous times for runs to see where I may have gone wrong in splits etc. Out for 10k tonight but very slow. I'll get 5 more runs in before knocking it on hear a week tomorrow.

Knocked out my 2nd 20 Mile race of this marathon block at South Park in Darlo yesterday. Happy just to finish as picked up a chest infection & my lungs were trying to escape for most of it & managed to hit pause on my watch instead of the lap button for 1 of the laps so would have done 21 laps if they hadn't been keeping count & rang the bell for my last lap.

A lot of people get caught up in the occasion & go off too fast then have to pay a price later. If you stick with a pacer at least the pace should be pretty well regulated & if you've tapered correctly you'll be in better shape than you think.

Last edited:
Good luck marra i'm sure you'll do great
Don't think it'll be my best effort but given that I was struggling to walk under 6 weeks ago I'm happy to take part. See what conditions are like and how I feel and go from there. I checked previous results / splits and my fastest marathon 4.25 was actually not my fastest first half split, I will certainly try to pace myself well and not go off like a loon :lol:

Don't think it'll be my best effort but given that I was struggling to walk under 6 weeks ago I'm happy to take part. See what conditions are like and how I feel and go from there. I checked previous results / splits and my fastest marathon 4.25 was actually not my fastest first half split, I will certainly try to pace myself well and not go off like a loon :lol:
Easier said than done to try and go off steady

Back