Running thread 2023

Most training days in the last two weeks have been 30 degree heat. Some reprieve today at 28 but made up for with 80% humidity.

Time & effort based training at the moment opposed distance, running a lot slower than back in England !

10k PB (50:52) and 1k PB (4:07) this morning. An hour interval session and had no intention of it whatsoever.

This is the first time i’ve really gave a proper training plan a go and buzzing with the progress. Feel like a consistent quick 10k and i’ve managed under 50 minutes.

So my run today was 90mins for my first week of taper. Ran it out of my home area around witton Gilbert/sacriston area. Blooming heck it's Hilly round there. Did about 8 mile's and I was knackered. Post marathon hill and speed training are required. Thank god London's flat.

I haven’t been as hungover as I was today in about 5 years but somehow put myself through 15 miles. Trying to workout how that happened while having another beer now :lol:

Liquid carbs
So my run today was 90mins for my first week of taper. Ran it out of my home area around witton Gilbert/sacriston area. Blooming heck it's Hilly round there. Did about 8 mile's and I was knackered. Post marathon hill and speed training are required. Thank god London's flat.

I used to work at Lanchester Road Hospital & I never managed to find a flatish route for my lunchtime runs. They were all at least undulating.

Last edited:
34k done this morning. Probably the furthest i’ll do before the main event so nice to get it out of the way and a lot earlier than planned. Takes the pressure off a bit and will probably try and get it in a few more times before starting to taper.

Think next week will be a well earned shorter one. :lol:

Finally did my first training run for the GNR last night and did 5k in 20.44. Considering that was my first run in over 4 months after going over on my ankle 6 times within the space of 8 weeks at work in the build up to Christmas. Just wanted to get a short but fast paced run in to see where I am at and felt good afterwards.

Going out and hopefully doing a 10k over the weekend but at a much slower pace and just going to build the miles up consistently. Planning on doing a HM in training before I do the GNR as well. Is there any local events, preferably on a Sunday, that I could enter which takes place on tarmac? I don't fancy running XC anymore as I know there is a permanent weakness in my ankle so I'm a lot more susceptible to ankle injuries.

Update from me; I have signed up to a 50k next Saturday, it’s about 90 mins out of Dallas and a chance to get out of the city. The course has about 4500ft elevation and currently it’s scheduled for 28 degrees and sunny. I’d be surprised if in 3 months I’ve climbed more than 1500ft here in the city. Lots more strength training than I’ve ever done though.

With any long distance event for where I’m at in running, completing is the primary goal. I haven’t ran more than 17 mile since October..! I have enlisted a coach to help me, some might know him, he’s called Zach Bitter. He’s got me on my highest consistent weekly mileage pretty much ever and intervals / speed is probably better than my peak of last year but I haven’t tried out a 5k/10k race.

I’ve ordered some trusty inov-8 trailflys for Saturday delivery, they seem to have a good system in the US whereas I thought they were a Lake District regional brand, I’m planning on wearing them in a bit next week and for the 50k, then using for my trip to Colorado.

Feel alive again! Proper trails inbound! After months of going up and down the same 3 mile stretch of manicured path & trees in “downtown” city.

Training overall is going well ahead of my A event in June.

Good to see everyone else progressing & good luck all in the London Marathon if you’re doing it 👍👍

Last edited:
Was supposed to be hill sprints today, usually head to Roker and do a lap of the pier then sprint from Grannie Annie’s up towards Tin Of Sardines.

Talked myself out of it on the basis it’ll have been busy down there so decided to go for a 10k under 50 minutes after being so close during my interval session last week.

Would have took scraping in at 49:59, managed 48:04 :cool:.

Feel like i’m flying at the minute and just awaiting the inevitable crash. :lol:

Back