Running thread 2022

Startfitness- DA recommended some socks from this website and I haven't yet got round to ordering-i hate internet shopping. I think someone may have then suggested they went there and got trainers fitted so I assume there is a physical shop but I cannot see one on the website. I wondered if there was a shop in Sunderland and I could nip in before the match Saturday?
One in Durham, just off market Square

Completed my long run of 8 miles to night 1hr 44m.
Negatives - found the first half quite tough.
Walked for the first time ever at around 5k up a hill.
Positives -
I went out 😀.
Longest run yet.
Chose a hillier route.
No blisters on my toes (first time in my more miles london socks thanks for the recommendation @D.A )
Completed my target distance (longest run yet.
Didn't get a dodgy tummy 😀
So overall a pleasing run. I normally run on a morning first thing and the times I've struggled more seem to be on an evening. I think I might be better suited to running on a morning, though not always possible.

Positives -
I went out 😀.
Longest run yet.
Chose a hillier route.
No blisters on my toes (first time in my more miles london socks thanks for the recommendation @D.A )
So overall a pleasing run. I normally run on a morning first thing and the times I've struggled more seem to be on an evening. I think I might be better suited to running on a morning, though not always possible.
Well done! Great progress.

Positives -
I went out 😀.
Longest run yet.
Chose a hillier route.
Brilliant progress that !! Keep it going! The more mile socks are great, I use the New York ones as I find them very comfy for the longer distances!

After 2 years of injuries and illness finally managed a run last night.
Total of 3.4 miles at 10:30 pace and walked about 4 times🥴
Happy to be out again but Christ it was depressing as fuck how much I struggled😳

Gone from doing the Lakeland 50 in 10 hours to this😂

Going to try shields maybe this week or next just for that last mile being the same as the GNR, Herrington country park is my closest one ( walking distance) but I’ve done chester before and I think it’s boring hahaah, Great for PBS
Shields is a great one! Riverside? It is a nice park but some tight turns and too many laps! Less laps the better.

Ahhh mint! And yeah the riverside one, It’s a decent run but it’s 3 laps and it’s just a bit boring, plus with it being tight it can hard to get past people… or swans :lol:
Hahaha yess the swans 😂 I don’t mind the 2 lappers
Have a trip North to my local one at Whitley Bay. My wife is event director and I volunteer every other week.

We are back on the proper route after months of a temporary one.

Free parking at the playhouse

Thank you!! I actually have that one scheduled in for the 27th so that is useful to know 😁 I have heard good things about it. I am doing Hackworth this weekend.

Last edited:
Don’t suppose anyone has a number going for the GNR?

Been helping a couple of lads with training for it and was promised a number via one of their workmates for it but it has fallen through.

I’ve looked at any late charity possibilities but understandably places seem to have gone.

Happy to pay for it and look to raise a bit money for a charity…..just seems a shame to have done the training and not do it now.

I know it’s a bit late in the day

Hahaha yess the swans 😂 I don’t mind the 2 lappers

Thank you!! I actually have that one scheduled in for the 27th so that is useful to know 😁 I have heard good things about it. I am doing Hackworth this weekend.
It's not on the 27th August due to a fair being on the links. Rising Sun or Blyth are nearest.

Don’t suppose anyone has a number going for the GNR?

Been helping a couple of lads with training for it and was promised a number via one of their workmates for it but it has fallen through.

I’ve looked at any late charity possibilities but understandably places seem to have gone.

Happy to pay for it and look to raise a bit money for a charity…..just seems a shame to have done the training and not do it now.

I know it’s a bit late in the day
There'll be loads closer to the day. Hard to get now.

Discovered recently that my cadence is pretty poor while running. Around the high 140’s and low 150’s. Even when I was making good progress with improving times earlier in the year it was around the same. Any tips on how to improve it? After doing research it seems working on it could help me massively. I’ve started off doing short runs with a metronome aswell as trying to using running playlists and running to the beat but feels like my legs are going far too quick without covering the distance.

Any idea where to keep an eye out?

Quite a few get posted on North East Runners closer to the time but you've got to keep a close eye on it & DM the posters straight away as their mods delete number swap posts pretty quickly
Discovered recently that my cadence is pretty poor while running. Around the high 140’s and low 150’s. Even when I was making good progress with improving times earlier in the year it was around the same. Any tips on how to improve it? After doing research it seems working on it could help me massively. I’ve started off doing short runs with a metronome aswell as trying to using running playlists and running to the beat but feels like my legs are going far too quick without covering the distance.

:?:

That's actually a pretty low turnover but you're saying your legs are going too fast? What are you using to measure it?

Average (mean) cadence at race pace is around 180spm but that of course is from a mix of higher & lower cadences.

Last edited:
Quite a few get posted on North East Runners closer to the time but you've got to keep a close eye on it & DM the posters straight away as their mods delete number swap posts pretty quickly

:?:

That's actually a pretty low turnover but you're saying your legs are going too fast? What are you using to measure it?

Average (mean) cadence at race pace is around 180spm but that of course is from a mix of higher & lower cadences.
I meant when i’ve been trying to improve my cadence my legs feel like they’re going too fast and I can’t seem to sustain it.

Back