Running thread 2021

Not sure what the rules are for charity donations on here but I’m doing the Poppy run this weekend to raise funds for the Royal British Legion so if anyone wants to sponsor me inbox me and I’ll send you my page link.

I've noticed for a while, but called to action by a second burst air pod, that I hammer the front right section of my right foot running shoe. My left trainer seems to wear evenly, but beside & under the small toe of my right shoe always wears down quickly and some nike next % tempos have both burst on outer side of my right foot. I must land on it all the time.

Is it a going concern / who do you see about trying to adjust something like that if it is?

Edit: Posted this without googling:

Last edited:
I've noticed for a while, but called to action by a second burst air pod, that I hammer the front right section of my right foot running shoe. My left trainer seems to wear evenly, but beside & under the small toe of my right shoe always wears down quickly and some nike next % tempos have both burst on outer side of my right foot. I must land on it all the time.

Is it a going concern / who do you see about trying to adjust something like that if it is?

Edit: Posted this without googling:
Do those trainers match your gait? I'd get in touch with the retailer.

Trail Outlaws Wooler for me today, the whole thing was hard but going up the Cheviot from the valley was awful - headwind the whole time, up on the top was even worse. Apart from those two things was a great run.

Don't know what it is but since sort of mid summer my running times have nosedived badly. I expect a small drop off in the summer with the heat and humidity but not as bad as it has been. Next I thought it may just be my running trainers needed changing but I've had a new pair for a month now and there's only been a marginal difference. My 10k best is 42:07 so sub 45/46s are usually the minimum for me but I'm now just about keeping my runs under 48mins. I've not had Covid or any other illness, haven't been injured or made any dietary or sleep changes. Obviously I'm another year older, but I was literally hitting PBs in May so it can't be that. The only thing I can think is that I've never played footy for years, but since April I play 5aside every Sunday now. The more explosive sprinting, jumping and swinging my feet coupled with getting dead legs and knocks to the shin and stuff must be having a negative effect on my speeds. It's baffling though, cos I can go hit the treadmill and knock out a sub 42/43 haha. I do only tend to have 1 or 2 rest days a month so that could be something to look at.

Last edited:
Don't know what it is but since sort of mid summer my running times have nosedived badly. I expect a small drop off in the summer with the heat and humidity but not as bad as it has been. Next I thought it may just be my running trainers needed changing but I've had a new pair for a month now and there's only been a marginal difference. My 10k best is 42:07 so sub 45/46s are usually the minimum for me but I'm now just about keeping my runs under 48mins. I've not had Covid or any other illness, haven't been injured or made any dietary or sleep changes. Obviously I'm another year older, but I was literally hitting PBs in May so it can't be that. The only thing I can think is that I've never played footy for years, but since April I play 5aside every Sunday now. The more explosive sprinting, jumping and swinging my feet coupled with getting dead legs and knocks to the shin and stuff must be having a negative effect on my speeds. It's baffling though, cos I can go hit the treadmill and knock out a sub 42/43 haha. I do only tend to have 1 or 2 rest days a month so that could be something to look at.
What's the issue? I don't understand.

What's the issue? I don't understand.
The issue is that I was running PBs or near PBs back in May, but now I'm running times that are a lot slower than normal and I don't know why exactly. For example just yesterday I ran a 47:47, but back in June I ran a 45:58 on the same route and my best for that route is 44:45 so I seem to be declining rapidly. As I said, the only thing that's changed is playing footy regularly but I'm just surprised that it would have that much of a negative effect.

The issue is that I was running PBs or near PBs back in May, but now I'm running times that are a lot slower than normal and I don't know why exactly. For example just yesterday I ran a 47:47, but back in June I ran a 45:58 on the same route and my best for that route is 44:45 so I seem to be declining rapidly. As I said, the only thing that's changed is playing footy regularly but I'm just surprised that it would have that much of a negative effect.
Has your training changed? My times are improving with session workouts and a proper plan, instead of going through the motions like I did for ages. If you've stopped doing harder workouts then that might be coming into the frame - and if your footy has replaced running that will make an impact, if it's on top then it could be less recovery.

My guess is your training activity week-to-week needs adjusting

Back