Running thread 2021

Cheers marra. I'll put Sedgefield on my list. Bit of a tourist me 😆
If you are a park run tourist …
Alnwick is a challenge mate ( the pastures) it’s like a trail run at the foot of the stunning Alnwick Castle -bit of a travel for many but if up that way worth a look ( 3 laps )Dosnt get too busy.
Druiridge Bay near Amble also canny -twice around a lake

I normally do Sedgefield but I think having to run round the overflow carpark twice and then round the cones when you come out of the woods must add at least 20 seconds to my time.
Aye the pre-covid start was much better and looking forward to it going back to that at some point. I run that one for pleasure rather than time as once ya out that car park it is a stunning route.
If you are a park run tourist …
Alnwick is a challenge mate ( the pastures) it’s like a trail run at the foot of the stunning Alnwick Castle -bit of a travel for many but if up that way worth a look ( 3 laps )Dosnt get too busy.
Druiridge Bay near Amble also canny -twice around a lake
Both of those are on my list! Can’t wait to try them.
I need support shoes as I overpronate and do have a great pair of shoes for normal runs. I am wanting a race shoe though so was wondering what people would suggest?

Last edited:
Aye the pre-covid start was much better and looking forward to it going back to that at some point. I run that one for pleasure rather than time as once ya out that car park it is a stunning route.

Both of those are on my list! Can’t wait to try them.
I need support shoes as I overpronate and do have a great pair of shoes for normal runs. I am wanting a race shoe though so was wondering what people would suggest?
Vaporfly or alphafly.

Its amazing how much harder it becomes after you stop for a month, I have had Covid mind

did 5km in 28.09....Is that any good or not? Was absolute dying at the end
Covid can take a it out of you so better to be careful mate
I’m not much quicker than that mate , sometimes slower ( depends on course , hills and how I feel )
It’s great just to be out -depends on how competitive you are with yourself and others wether you feel it’s a good time.
Tin hat on here, but for me ( probs not most) I’m not particularly bothered about times -I look at it as 5k or 10k or half in the bank towards health benefits ( I’m nearly 60 mind )
You are right about stopping -that’s why even if I don’t feel like it ( dark nights ect) I’ll try and get out -I find better if ive promised someone that i will turn up and run with them -I’m much less likely to give it a miss ..
Good luck -meet some great people through running

Covid can take a it out of you so better to be careful mate
I’m not much quicker than that mate , sometimes slower ( depends on course , hills and how I feel )
It’s great just to be out -depends on how competitive you are with yourself and others wether you feel it’s a good time.
Tin hat on here, but for me ( probs not most) I’m not particularly bothered about times -I look at it as 5k or 10k or half in the bank towards health benefits ( I’m nearly 60 mind )
You are right about stopping -that’s why even if I don’t feel like it ( dark nights ect) I’ll try and get out -I find better if ive promised someone that i will turn up and run with them -I’m much less likely to give it a miss ..
Good luck -meet some great people through running

Great stuff that mate, especially at nearly 60! very impressive.

Yeah times dont matter really but just more about how I feel, wouldnt mind not being absolutely knackered at the end wanting to collapse on the bed. I dont think I could manage more than 5km at the minute, just gonna try do a 5km every other day and hopefully in a few weeks I feel better for it.

I am not sure I could socially run at the minute as I'd struggle to talk to them!

Few months back I always felt good after doing it, and even ran 20km once, albeit very slowly.

I guess you need to do it regularly and thats how it becomes easier? When I first started I was abroad, and it is warmer maybe that helped!

Great stuff that mate, especially at nearly 60! very impressive.

Yeah times dont matter really but just more about how I feel, wouldnt mind not being absolutely knackered at the end wanting to collapse on the bed. I dont think I could manage more than 5km at the minute, just gonna try do a 5km every other day and hopefully in a few weeks I feel better for it.

I am not sure I could socially run at the minute as I'd struggle to talk to them!

Few months back I always felt good after doing it, and even ran 20km once, albeit very slowly.

I guess you need to do it regularly and thats how it becomes easier? When I first started I was abroad, and it is warmer maybe that helped!
You will get back there mate -it’s getting lighter on a night now as well which gives us all a lift -stick at it but rest too -covid sounds like it’s been the issue -5k every other day is great

Does anyone know what the crack is with Silky running track? Can you just walk in and use it after its ‘closed’ or before its open? Wanted to go in the mornings but doesnt seem to open until 11AM

Does anyone know what the crack is with Silky running track? Can you just walk in and use it after its ‘closed’ or before its open? Wanted to go in the mornings but doesnt seem to open until 11AM
Tin hat on but think most just go on
Especially if you go very early
Know a few who go at 630am no problems
Can get icy mind

you're meant to pay, i don't. i'm a member of a running club who uses it so I tend to use it during those times. also if they say anything, I'm a member of everything active so i'll plead ignorance.

you're meant to pay, i don't. i'm a member of a running club who uses it so I tend to use it during those times. also if they say anything, I'm a member of everything active so i'll plead ignorance.
I've used it on and off for years and had no idea you are meant to pay. :lol:

Never once been asked and there's often a fair few people dotted about on it. I'm also a member like but still.

I've used it on and off for years and had no idea you are meant to pay. :lol:

Never once been asked and there's often a fair few people dotted about on it. I'm also a member like but still.
You still have to pay even if you're a member. No one has ever questioned me like!

You still have to pay even if you're a member. No one has ever questioned me like!
They probably just think god, we'd never catch those absolute speed demon athletes. What's the point of trying?

It seems mental that they should charge mind. It's a bit of ground to run on. Not using any equipment or owt.

They probably just think god, we'd never catch those absolute speed demon athletes. What's the point of trying?

It seems mental that they should charge mind. It's a bit of ground to run on. Not using any equipment or owt.
And it's a mess, holes all over and over grown grass in the first lane. There's a sink hole by the throws cage too.

And it's a mess, holes all over and over grown grass in the first lane. There's a sink hole by the throws cage too.
Aye. Is it even used for anything official anymore? Used to have competitions, tournaments and all-sorts down there years ago. I've only ever seen the odd running club or PT using it nowadays. Shame like.

Aye. Is it even used for anything official anymore? Used to have competitions, tournaments and all-sorts down there years ago. I've only ever seen the odd running club or PT using it nowadays. Shame like.
I don't think there's been an Athletics meet for years, could be wrong. There's been some relays in the last few years, where they've started on the track then used the park run route etc. Big events and hundreds of runners come.

Shame like.

I’ve been going up to the track at silky semi regular with my lad for him to do a bit training cos he isn’t keen on running with me (I’m too fast 😂😂). Also had no idea you’re meant to pay - it’s right what people have said like - they’d be hard pressed to justify charging folk as it’s in a right state. Serves a purpose purely so we know how far and how fast he’s running as it’s a proper track

Aye loads do , so long as not using it when any clubs have hired it (normally just sland harriers tues and thurs nights ) odd night houghton book it fir an hour , otherwise fine just crack on

Back