Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sub 20 5k
Sub 1:45 half marathon
Complete at least 3 ultra marathons - main one..
That’s it for me this year.

Managed to do all of these although for the last one only 1 was a race but it’s been 2020 to be fair.

Finished on:
1864 miles / 3000k distance
117,000ft / 35,000 elevation

Planning to sign up for the Trail Outlaws half marathon series tomorrow, am already in the city 5k & 10k and Pier2Pier from this years roll over plus some other events Jan & Feb where I haven’t checked the latest on whether they can happen.

Big one for me next year is Lakeland 5 passes.

Well done everyone on 2020

681 miles running for me this year. 81 more than my target. Hopefully get over 1000 in 2021.

I was doing 12k steps everyday which normally meant a 6 mile walk at some point during the day. I stopped walking before Christmas and my knee pain has totally gone.

Its hard to say if the walking has been harming my knees or if the exercises the physio gave me have helped either wat I'm glad to be going into 2021 pain free.

681 miles running for me this year. 81 more than my target. Hopefully get over 1000 in 2021.

I was doing 12k steps everyday which normally meant a 6 mile walk at some point during the day. I stopped walking before Christmas and my knee pain has totally gone.

Its hard to say if the walking has been harming my knees or if the exercises the physio gave me have helped either wat I'm glad to be going into 2021 pain free.
What is realistic for a total novice you reckon

Don't try to run before you can walk... Start with mix of mainly walking with a few short run mixed in.. Listen to your body.. As you get fitter run more and walk less. It takes time so don't rush... By summer you will be running further than you can imagine now.... Good luck mate..

Don't try to run before you can walk... Start with mix of mainly walking with a few short run mixed in.. Listen to your body.. As you get fitter run more and walk less. It takes time so don't rush... By summer you will be running further than you can imagine now.... Good luck mate..
Cheers as I say I can't start until after my heart monitor and I go to cardiology anyway

As other people have said, don't try and do too much to start with otherwise you'll just end up putting yourself off. When I first started I was only going out for 10 minutes, and then I just built it up from there.
I'm embarrassed to admit I'd be fucked anyway even after a short period like you mentioned

Couch to 5k mate.

That got me into it in April and I’ve never looked back. Apart from the two weeks of Xmas when I’ve done fuck all and ate like a wild pig.

Also if you are serious and think you will stick at it buy some proper running trainers with cushion support. The difference they make is frightening. Most running shops will measure up and can provide shoes for you that are tailored to you. I recommend Start Fitness in Durham once the shops are back open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couch to 5k mate.

That got me into it in April and I’ve never looked back. Apart from the two weeks of Xmas when I’ve done fuck all and ate like a wild pig.

Also if you are serious and think you will stick at it buy some proper running trainers with cushion support. The difference they make is frightening. Most running shops will measure up and can provide shoes for you that are tailored to you. I recommend Start Fitness in Durham once the shops are back open.
Be careful with that mate if you do nothing for few weeks you lose over half you're fitness

Exactly this and this is pretty much what the couch to 5k plan will do for you.
Be careful with that mate if you do nothing for few weeks you lose over half you're fitness

Aye I’m back on it tomorrow. Not expecting it to be fun like. Where I run has been a bit icy the last few days as well so didn’t fancy going arse over tit.

Exactly this and this is pretty much what the couch to 5k plan will do for you.

Aye I’m back on it tomorrow. Not expecting it to be fun like. Where I run has been a bit icy the last few days as well so didn’t fancy going arse over tit.
Seen a few say like run between two lampposts then walk one etc

Seen a few say like run between two lampposts then walk one etc

Couch to 5k starts with running a minute then walking a minute so will be very similar but you have a voice coaching you through it. Mine was Jo Whiley. You need your phone and earphones to do it like. They tell you when to start and stop and encourage you. I still put it on when I’m running even though I competed it months ago. Really helps. And I also need music. Can’t run without music. The thought of listening to myself grunt and puff through it is awful. The music helps me keep focus and means I don’t have to listen to my general vileness.

Couch to 5k starts with running a minute then walking a minute so will be very similar but you have a voice coaching you through it. Mine was Jo Whiley. You need your phone and earphones to do it like. They tell you when to start and stop and encourage you. I still put it on when I’m running even though I competed it months ago. Really helps. And I also need music. Can’t run without music. The thought of listening to myself grunt and puff through it is awful. The music helps me keep focus and means I don’t have to listen to my general vileness.
Guessing you started the music after the couch to 5k after the period it takes to do that are you able to do it without stopping

Guessing you started the music after the couch to 5k after the period it takes to do that are you able to do it without stopping

You can do both so I have Spotify playing alongside the Couch to 5k app. Then when the coach needs to speak it turns down the volume on Spotify so you can hear the coach then once the coach finishes speaking Spotify goes back on again.

And yes. After completing the programme I can do it without stopping. You do get the odd bad day and little niggles. That’s a sign of age I suppose. It’s hard on the Monday after a weekend on the pop as well. Stuff like that. Some runs are easy and some are a pain in the arse to get through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back