Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

After a load of rest and waiting im out running again, managed a 10k today 8.14 pace, slow for me but I don’t care as I’m Varro my extra weight and it’s just nice to be running, did a 1m at about 90-95 percent yesterday and it was 6.24 so that’s fine, just need to go slow and lose the lbs
Good to hear mate , good luck, were you in a club I can’t remember now

Aye I couldn’t remember if you were stroller or shields harriers , like say good luck mate hope your injuries are in the past now
Thanks mate, all seems good at the moment apart from my shorts chafing me like hell this afternoon, doing my runs a bit slow than usual at the moment as I’m about 10-12 lbs overweight, got to get back to a good diet and just keep plodding away everyday for a few weeks, did 4x400 yesterday and the pace was 6min down to 5.42 pace so still have a bit of speed in there, but I’m not pushing that as I don’t want another injury

Going to be starting a new training block at the start of July leading to Coniston Marathon beginning of October...been keeping steady at 30 miles per week for May & June. Another week of plodding along then time to ramp back up again , will include more elevation than previously...looking forward to it!!

The x2 races i've trained for previously have been with a perspective of finishing as they were Ultras and i hadn't done them. I want to train to attack this one more and finish mid-pack or higher.

Last edited:
Going to be starting a new training block at the start of July leading to Coniston Marathon beginning of October...been keeping steady at 30 miles per week for May & June. Another week of plodding along then time to ramp back up again , will include more elevation than previously...looking forward to it!!

The x2 races i've trained for previously have been with a perspective of finishing as they were Ultras and i hadn't done them. I want to train to attack this one more and finish mid-pack or higher.

Out of curiosity Davey, how did you find the difficulty in jumping to different distances? I.e. when you first started running, to say 10k, to half, marathon and ultra? I can't imagine even running 'just' a marathon!

Need a bit of advice here. Training was going fine until maybe a month ago. Last 2 weeks pretty much every run I’m starting and legs are so heavy. Feel like I’m running backwards. Anyone suffered anything similar?

Out of curiosity Davey, how did you find the difficulty in jumping to different distances? I.e. when you first started running, to say 10k, to half, marathon and ultra? I can't imagine even running 'just' a marathon!
Everyone is different mate and I am no great runner by any means, but...

I started running because i wanted to go further, i like & still aspire to endurance. So when i started in April last year I couldn't do a 5k without stopping a few times and tried to do an ultra in September...I just always wanted that feeling of coming up short and going again. I drove down and ran a 50k training run on my own in the lakes in January then drove home, and finished my first official Ultra (57k) after trying again in February.

Most of my runs last year were at 9min+ pace which I look back on as slow. I did 1000 miles in 7 months to 2020 from scratch, and this calendar year I will probably do 1700-1800. i've done my first 200 mile month in April...i like feeling fatigued.

My runs are faster now but still relatively slow , on the SMB runners group & with competitive club runners. I really don't mind though. I doubt I'll ever be a quick club standard runner, ability and motivation for that are lacking, but when I was training for the longer ones I got alot of satisfaction when I was going further than others.

I also look forward to the long slow slogs as time to wash my head out and travelled to different nice trails to enjoy - that makes doing them easier than running the streets.

I suppose it just depends what you're running for...

Last edited:
Everyone is different mate and I am no great runner by any means, but...

I started running because i wanted to go further, i like & still aspire to endurance. So when i started in April last year I couldn't do a 5k without stopping a few times and tried to do an ultra in September...I just always wanted that feeling of coming up short and going again. I drove down and ran a 50k training run on my own in the lakes in January then drove home, and finished my first official Ultra (57k) after trying again in February.

Most of my runs last year were at 9min+ pace which I look back on as slow. I did 1000 miles in 7 months to 2020 from scratch, and this calendar year I will probably do 1700-1800. i've done my first 200 mile month in April...i like feeling fatigued.

My runs are faster now but still relatively slow , on the SMB runners group & with competitive club runners. I really don't mind though. I doubt I'll ever be a quick club standard runner, ability and motivation for that are lacking, but when I was training for the longer ones I got alot of satisfaction when I was going further than others.

I also look forward to the long slow slogs as time to wash my head out and travelled to different nice trails to enjoy - that makes doing them easier than running the streets.

I suppose it just depends what you're running for...

1700 - 1800 miles :eek: . Some going that man! Thanks for such a great reply.

Get after your goals!

Goals definitely help. Mine are very minor in the grand scheme of things. I hit sub-50m for 10km the other week, but I've been trying to do it for literally a couple of years. I'd like to do a sub-2 hour HM and a marathon of any time (just not stopping), but the biggest barrier is not wanting to invest so much time. A lot of it is probably a fear of failure and fear of pushing myself too hard if I really am honest. I've got a genetic condition that limits lung capacity, it's a barrier but also a good excuse...

I love reading about ultra running though, it's fascinating. Things like the Western States 100. Even the person in last place is superhuman.

Well I managed a 30mile week this week, about 4 month since I’ve managed that, going to do similar next week but just add a mile during the week and a mile on Sunday so I will be upto a 8m for my long run, not rushing this as I don’t want another knock that keeps me out
That's quite a big jump

Really felt shitty and ran down towards the end of the week. Had a few days off and did 10 miles @ 7:50 pace today very comfortably, which is actually a 10 mile PB but felt very comfortable...could have (relatively) easily kept it up for 3 miles I think and got a sub 1:40 half...was running with a few others and had agreed 10.

One of the better runs! Probably be sluggish and down again on Tuesday 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back