Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're probably just trying to do too much too soon. 2 miles doesn't sound a lot but if your joints aren't used to it it really is. It's really worth googling a Couch to 5K programme. That will take you from a combination of running & walking up to running a 5K without stopping in 2 or 3 months.

Something else worth considering is your shoes. How old are they & are they the right type of shoe for your gait? Normally I'd suggest getting your gait checked at a running shop but that's out of the window now so it's worth going through the shoe finder at Brooks Running
Slowing down as well is best advice as well, a lot of people push too hard all the time which can cause and aggravate injuries especially when increasing miles. I currently base building and just running to low heart rate withthe odd run targeting my Lactate threshold, even that though not so much at minute as my mileage is increasing each week. I try to avoid any training in the middle ground that can be a bit of a dead zone for improvement has worked for me so far although I will switch to P&D training scedule in June 18 weeks before my supposed marathon.

Slowing down as well is best advice as well, a lot of people push too hard all the time which can cause and aggravate injuries especially when increasing miles. I currently base building and just running to low heart rate withthe odd run targeting my Lactate threshold, even that though not so much at minute as my mileage is increasing each week. I try to avoid any training in the middle ground that can be a bit of a dead zone for improvement has worked for me so far although I will switch to P&D training scedule in June 18 weeks before my supposed marathon.

Agreed about slowing down. I'm pretty much doing the same as you but without the threshold runs. Apparently 3 months of only doing "Zone 2" runs has big benefits down the line for both speed & endurance so I'm doing that & concentrating on keeping my foot strikes as light as possible. I'll be switching back to a Marathon training schedule at the end of June so it will be interesting to see what effect it's had.

I used my heart rate as a guide yesterday and it worked well. When it went into the 160's I was easing off until it dropped a bit. Definitely seemed to help and I felt OK after the run.

I am thinking of trying to do 10k twice a week then do a 5k where I try to push myself and get my pace up. Ultimately I want to get involved in races next year just so I have something to train for.

I always go out with the idea of slowing down......most of my runs I do at a "comfortable" pace.....not pushing but not taking it easy so to speak, I do need to incorporate some slow runs in but just get caught up with running at my normal pace

Agreed about slowing down. I'm pretty much doing the same as you but without the threshold runs. Apparently 3 months of only doing "Zone 2" runs has big benefits down the line for both speed & endurance so I'm doing that & concentrating on keeping my foot strikes as light as possible. I'll be switching back to a Marathon training schedule at the end of June so it will be interesting to see what effect it's had.
I've done this before, in fact was pretty much all I did the first few years, takes volume and patience (especially at the beginning when I was foing 13/14 minute miles) but every 4-6 weeks you suddenly see a jump in improvement in times at same heart rate. I follow the Hadd pdf pretty much, pleanty of threads on various running sites about it very similar to Lydiard and Maffetone. It does go against logic to slow down to go faster but it does work.
I used my heart rate as a guide yesterday and it worked well. When it went into the 160's I was easing off until it dropped a bit. Definitely seemed to help and I felt OK after the run.

I am thinking of trying to do 10k twice a week then do a 5k where I try to push myself and get my pace up. Ultimately I want to get involved in races next year just so I have something to train for.
160's is faster than maraton pace for me lol depends on max heart rate though really, the formual calculations are supposedly not that accurate, I'm training at around 140 which for me is 75% max heart rate based on a max heart rate test I did ages ago are meant to lose a bit every year with age as well though.

Last edited:
I've done this before, in fact was pretty much all I did the first few years, takes volume and patience (especially at the beginning when I was foing 13/14 minute miles) but every 4-6 weeks you suddenly see a jump in improvement in times at same heart rate. I follow the Hadd pdf pretty much, pleanty of threads on various running sites about it very similar to Lydiard and Maffetone. It does go against logic to slow down to go faster but it does work.

160's is faster than maraton pace for me lol depends on max heart rate though really, the formual calculations are supposedly not that accurate, I'm training at around 140 which for me is 75% max heart rate based on a max heart rate test I did ages ago are meant to lose a bit every year with age as well though.

Aye I know thats high but I am hoping it calms down as I get fitter. Just checked and my average BPM on yesterday run was 159. :eek: I am just using a Garmin watch like. I don't have a chest strap.

Got out this morning for a 10k, it was warm mind. First run in a week too
If I’ve joined the SMB runners club on Strava, how do my workouts appear? I use Garmin Connect to upload, but have it linked to Strava. I uploaded my first one yesterday but can’t for the life of me see how it ends up in that running group.
I joined the other week, some reet Mo Farrahs on here/there

Last edited:

Hadn't heard of Lydiard's training method before this. Interesting stuff, my coach must have read about it though, because we do those hill sessions at club nights. I find the Maffetone method heart rate calculations to be too low for me. I can get my heart rate up to those levels just by walking faster.

Warm out there this afters but not too warm, did a canny session at County Hall by myself, would really like the running club up and running again sooner rather than later, getting a bit sick of running alone.

Just got my new running trainers (Zoom Fly 3s), went for a run as soon as i got them, Just round the block.

5K in 21:44 :)
Best shoes I have had as I need the cushion on left foot, got the Pegasus 36 but not enough cushioning so keeping them for races. Just ordered some Epic Reacts for new training shoes. Anyone had any?

Best shoes I have had as I need the cushion on left foot, got the Pegasus 36 but not enough cushioning so keeping them for races. Just ordered some Epic Reacts for new training shoes. Anyone had any?

My right hip has been a bit weird since I got the Pegasus 36s, only worn them a couple of times so far, just to see how they are. With you on the cushioning like, ill be keeping them specifically for PB attempts.

What's the score with Pegasus shoes? I've seen most sites list them as neutral but some sites list them as support shoes.
I haven't had enough different shoes to say really but i'd be surprised if Pegasus were support shoes - i really like them, but they don't seem supportive. I am buying these tomorrow, can't wait :D

What's the score with Pegasus shoes? I've seen most sites list them as neutral but some sites list them as support shoes.

I had to get a size up from normal, they feel good when they are on but I wouldn’t want to wear them constantly.

I definitely get more reaction off the deck when I’m wearing them but I think a bit of that may be in my head as well, I don’t know if I’d get them again or try some different ones. Cheap enough in the sale though as an experiment.

I'm a big fan of Decathlon. I do a fair bit of long-distance walking and their Kalenji / Quechure brands are often just as good as the likes of Berghaus and The North Face. To me, anyway!

It can be hit and miss size wise but most of what I’ve had is decent. I’ve been guilty is spunking decent wedge on Nike gear in the past and it’s daft really.

It can be hit and miss size wise but most of what I’ve had is decent. I’ve been guilty is spunking decent wedge on Nike gear in the past and it’s daft really.

I paid decent money for Nike compression vests & shorts back in 2010 before the cheaper manufacturers started doing that sort of thing & they're actually still going strong long after gear I paid slightly less for has worn out & gone. Sometimes it's worth paying the extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back