Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

5km in 23:56 which considering the heat I'm happy with. The first lap was 11:45 which would have been around a PB but in the second half the heat got the better of me. The biggest concern is I've hurt my knee. In 5+ years of on/off running I've never had an injury into now! It felt not normal but ok beforehand and movement was fine with no pain - more like a feeling of pressure? When I finished the run it started to swell and hurt, with limited movement. Now it's hurting a fair bit when I'm using it. Will just need to be patient I suppose but it's a weird thing for me.

First of all cracking time! Swelling doesn’t sound good at all, outside of the knee?

Thanks for reply, do you think my adidas shoes are a potential problem ? I dont have a roller but im looking up it band as i type this, see what i can find and if it correlates with my symptoms.

As D.A. said, do the Brooks shoe finder questionnaire. It's about as good as you'll find for determining what shoe type you need without going for a gait test at a shop. I'm a convert to Brooks after running in Asics for years & I use Ravennas for most of my mileage now as I overpronate so need a support shoe.
If you need a cushioned support shoe you're probably looking at Adrenaline or Transcend

Last edited:
First of all cracking time! Swelling doesn’t sound good at all, outside of the knee?

Cheers! I was pleased like. This is the start of the year where my times start to suffer due to the heat so it'll be interesting what happens this year as I'm definitely much quicker.

Sounds daft but I'm struggling to pinpoint where the pain is. The swelling is around the outside and front but it's just about gone now. The pain is sort of directly at the very back of the knee - say if you were looking down at your feet and knees, the pain is at 6 o'clock and the swelling at 2 and 10. It's more that the whole knee feels... Spongey? Especially in a squat position, which considering I do a lot of squats suggests it's from this rather than running!

Last edited:
Cheers! I was pleased like. This is the start of the year where my times start to suffer due to the heat so it'll be interesting what happens this year as I'm definitely much quicker.

Sounds daft but I'm struggling to pinpoint where the pain is. The swelling is around the outside and front but it's just about gone now. The pain is sort of directly at the very back of the knee - say if you were looking down at your feet and knees, the pain is at 6 o'clock and the swelling at 2 and 10. It's more that the whole knee feels... Spongey? Especially in a squat position, which considering I do a lot of squats suggests it's from this rather than running!

The spongy feeling & location of the swelling would suggest bursitis but that's usually a knock on effect of something else & with the location of the pain it could be a partial pcl tear.

Managed to rack up 50 miles in the last 7 days. Some decent numbers getting put on that SMB runners group , the week to Sunday I did 43 and didn’t make the top 3!

14.7 today and just about got top spot but sure that’ll change tomorrow. I am going to do about 47 this week to Sunday...it’s motivating me to keep going to be fair!

Thanks for reply, do you think my adidas shoes are a potential problem ? I dont have a roller but im looking up it band as i type this, see what i can find and if it correlates with my symptoms.
Since the gyms have closed I have been running 3 times a week using the only trainers available which were intended for indoor weight training.

Weirdly enough these new balance with minimal cushioning have caused fewer aches and pains than the asics support trainers that I’d used until the beginning of this year and then binned.

I actually think that modern trainers could be too cushioned and supportive, I remember reading articles about people running barefooted or with minimalistic shoes and they avoided injury. There was something about foot placement and how the foot hits the surface, when you run as nature intended then you land more on the balls of the foot iirc.

Not been out since last Wednesday. Partly laziness and partly due to our lasses work hours. Must get out tomorrow. Might try and do a very slow 10k.

Since the gyms have closed I have been running 3 times a week using the only trainers available which were intended for indoor weight training.

Weirdly enough these new balance with minimal cushioning have caused fewer aches and pains than the asics support trainers that I’d used until the beginning of this year and then binned.

I actually think that modern trainers could be too cushioned and supportive, I remember reading articles about people running barefooted or with minimalistic shoes and they avoided injury. There was something about foot placement and how the foot hits the surface, when you run as nature intended then you land more on the balls of the foot iirc.
I can only think of grass or sand where running barefoot wouldn't be a nightmare, and even then only in ideal weather ?

I certainly avoided the knee injuries I'd been plagued by when I switched to a minimalist shoe, basically by getting a metatarsal stress fracture instead. It's a horses for courses thing imho. I can't understand how anyone can run in those highly cushioned shoes like Hokas but there are acouple of people at the running club who've come on leaps & bounds since they started wearing them & have avoided injury since.

I certainly avoided the knee injuries I'd been plagued by when I switched to a minimalist shoe, basically by getting a metatarsal stress fracture instead. It's a horses for courses thing imho. I can't understand how anyone can run in those highly cushioned shoes like Hokas but there are acouple of people at the running club who've come on leaps & bounds since they started wearing them & have avoided injury since.
Have to be honest I've loved Hokas for years since original cliftons and never had any issue with them, is worth noting though they are 4mm drop in the main compared to 12mm of a lot of the more standard trainers so they flatter than might think and may take bit adjusting too. Currently running a lot of my miles in Hoka Machs which are more traditional in dont have as big a thick sole and really enjoying them will probably get some mach 2 shortly as they were on offer on sportshoes.com

Have had trainers fom all the other big brands including brooks that I kow a lot of people rate but always seem to gravitate back to hoka.

Last edited:
Just made a 40 metre track in back garden.. I walk a mile a day carrying 15 kg on two dumbbell s best time so far is 19 mins 08 secs...neighbours think I'm mad but doing that plus the treadmill keeps me a bit fit... But the extra beer and scoff means I still putting on weight...

Have to be honest I've loved Hokas for years since original cliftons and never had any issue with them, is worth noting though they are 4mm drop in the main compared to 12mm of a lot of the more standard trainers so they flatter than might think and may take bit adjusting too. Currently running a lot of my miles in Hoka Machs which are more traditional in dont have as big a thick sole and really enjoying them will probably get some mach 2 shortly as they were on offer on sportshoes.com

Have had trainers fom all the other big brands including brooks that I kow a lot of people rate but always seem to gravitate back to hoka.

Yeah, the lack of drop is one of the things that put me off when I tried them. I like the feeling of being pushed onto my toes.

Got any compression sleeves? I have to wear them at all times otherwise they return.
Just ordered some an hour ago funnily enough.

I know how it happened, I ran up Penshaw Monument and back, coming down i must have tweaked a ligament in my foot.

Thought nowt of it, ran a few times that week, got a pain in my knee, then on my run Wednesday, Shin splints appeared. It's in my left leg and feels like it's running through the ligament.

I'd love to run 30, 40, 50 miles a week like some of you guys eventually. But I can't, I keep getting injured. I'm only a beginner as mentioned previously doing this for a few months now, but I'd be lucky to run 5-10 miles a week without getting injured. I've currently done something to my ankle and I've not run in a couple of weeks, I'd run everyday if my body allowed it.

I don't know whether its one of these things that your body becomes more resiliant the more you run, I hope thats the case, because its incredibly frustrating how bad my joints and soles of my feet get only out running 2 miles the previous day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back