Running Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Return of the Harrier xc league at wrekenton this weekend... Looking forward to it.
Hoping to do it although my piriformis is giving me grief again this week. 4 races in 4 weeks is starting to take its toll. Might have to suffer the match instead :(

Hoping to do it although my piriformis is giving me grief again this week. 4 races in 4 weeks is starting to take its toll. Might have to suffer the match instead :(
rest it mate , warning signs are there .. don't make my errors just ploughing through :D

Anyone want my number for the Manchester half marathon on the 13th Oct?

I’m injured so giving it a miss, free to anyone who wants it. I’ll post the number to you.

Got a half marathon in Carlisle next week and have come down with a bit of a cold tonight. It’ll be my first half and I’m meant to be doing 10 miles tomorrow as my last long run before cutting it back through next week.

Would you crack on with the 10 tomorrow if feeling ok or take the warning signs and hold back? Feel I’ll be losing out on my last long run if I don’t. Raised over £500 for charity so don’t want to let people down next week by being wiped out with flu. At the moment I just feel like I have a bit of a cold.

Got a half marathon in Carlisle next week and have come down with a bit of a cold tonight. It’ll be my first half and I’m meant to be doing 10 miles tomorrow as my last long run before cutting it back through next week.

Would you crack on with the 10 tomorrow if feeling ok or take the warning signs and hold back? Feel I’ll be losing out on my last long run if I don’t. Raised over £500 for charity so don’t want to let people down next week by being wiped out with flu. At the moment I just feel like I have a bit of a cold.

Generally makes me feel worse and the recovery takes me longer, see how you feel in the morning and then make a call, has the rest of your training gone well?

I felt terrible last Sunday which was a 10 mile training run before a race today. I did it and going into today I am glad I did - if anything it's comforting to know I've done the training and I can "trust" it as people say...

Obviously everyone is different mate but that's my perspective this morning

Training has gone well on the whole. A few setbacks here and there but a 1 hr 47 12 miles last week so under my 2 hour aim! Feel a bit better today so going to go slow and steady for 10 miles.

Long time reader of the thread btw. Some great runners in here by the looks!

Well done @daveydavey on his first ultra today
Thank you, but almost. My first marathon!

I had the shits this morning and after 8 miles by heart rate was 200bpm :confused::neutral::lol: I don't know what the fuck happened. So Iresolved to do the marathon and it's the first under my belt albeit I feel training runs are bigger accomplishments...getting through the mara feeling like I did is something I will take with me.

I could have walked the last 7 miles to make the ultra distance, and I would have, but I had 2 people who had already been waiting ages and I was an hour behind when I said I would have finished the ultra, it was going to take 2 hours walking to finish so I just called it off. I was literally last out of everyone as well. I'm not the best runner by any means but I haven't understood what happened today..I am relishing finishing strong at the next one ASAP.

I was ill, set off too quickly (especially given circumstances) and can't explain my heart rate...even little bursts I was going into the 180's. I've had the worst week I've ever had with stress because of stuff at work and an indescribable personal situation so the timing couldn't have been worse.

Im taking what I can from finishing the marathon in those conditions. I need to sign up to something quickly.

Last edited:
Recover and come back stronger. Take the positives and move on. Happens to a lot of people.
Will do. I think if I was working to this as an end goal I'd be more down about it, but because it's part of a process I know there's gems of knowledge & experience in the preparation and execution that will stand me in good stead.

I had a poor last two weeks of training in prep & struggled to retain weight last week. Yesterday morning all I could eat was an instant porridge and that was repeating on me an hour later :lol: . I can't lie I am down about it, but grateful for the experience.

Also taking some consolation that while I had a poor time, apparently a higher percentage than usual dropped out on the course. It was also great to meet some nice people in the pub afterwards, I've exchanged numbers and am building the circle. It was nice to run about 10 miles with a group of 3 others and look out for each other.

I didn't take a medal at all, but my mate picked up a marathon one for me saying I was being stupid. I was too proud at the time to take one but it's going in the draw as a memento , proud of getting through it feeling shit & inspiration to make sure I get the real thing next time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back