Running Thread 2019

D.A

Striker
was gonna order this:

Need to take my running more seriously, annoyed at missing vale of york but really need to begin my prep for kielder dark skies next year. Running with 3 others, including someone who has done ultras and don't want to embarrass myself.

Was gonna try do these 3 types of run a week and add some core and kettlebell stuff
Never read the book. How about joining a club? You've got plenty time for kielder. Do voy as a long run?

was gonna order this:

Need to take my running more seriously, annoyed at missing vale of york but really need to begin my prep for kielder dark skies next year. Running with 3 others, including someone who has done ultras and don't want to embarrass myself.

Was gonna try do these 3 types of run a week and add some core and kettlebell stuff
I bought that when I decided to scale back on my mileage & it's paid dividends as I haven't been injured for coming up 20 months now & was injured pretty regularly before that. Here's an example of the programme The FIRST Three Day A Week Marathon Schedule

I do my recovery sessions on exercise bike & rowing machine & on rowing day I do day 1 of the Stronglifts 5x5 routine & on bike day I do day 2 of Stronglifts. Iused to do pilates & yoga as well when they were on at my gym but they don't have them in the evenings anymore.

oROSSo

Striker
Staff member
Never read the book. How about joining a club? You've got plenty time for kielder. Do voy as a long run?
I just get out when I can due to the little ones, think a club is a bit too structured time wise for me. Think I'd get round VOY albeit in a shit time but I'm getting a niggle on the inside of my left knee and don't want to push it.
I bought that when I decided to scale back on my mileage & it's paid dividends as I haven't been injured for coming up 20 months now & was injured pretty regularly before that. Here's an example of the programme The FIRST Three Day A Week Marathon Schedule

I do my recovery sessions on exercise bike & rowing machine & on rowing day I do day 1 of the Stronglifts 5x5 routine & on bike day I do day 2 of Stronglifts. Iused to do pilates & yoga as well when they were on at my gym but they don't have them in the evenings anymore.
great, cheers mate

daveydavey

Striker
do you supplement your running training with weights/bands/core work etc?
Not for running performance, but for health & strength and a little definition I try and get at least one weights session in per week. That will include a core session (approx 100 leg raises) , approx 40 chin ups over 5 sets, and 5 sets of bench. If I can do them all together in one session great, but if not ill fit those sets into the week somehow - I've got a chin bar at home.

In addition to that I do the x3 runs per week most people recommend. I don't do leg strength exercises methodically but sometimes ut a high rep / low weight leg press session in.

I think 3 runs, plus the above is quite easily achievable. My strength has dropped significantly as my runs have improved, but I've kept a physique. You can't have it all.

Charlestonian

Midfield
Not for running performance, but for health & strength and a little definition I try and get at least one weights session in per week. That will include a core session (approx 100 leg raises) , approx 40 chin ups over 5 sets, and 5 sets of bench. If I can do them all together in one session great, but if not ill fit those sets into the week somehow - I've got a chin bar at home.

In addition to that I do the x3 runs per week most people recommend. I don't do leg strength exercises methodically but sometimes ut a high rep / low weight leg press session in.

I think 3 runs, plus the above is quite easily achievable. My strength has dropped significantly as my runs have improved, but I've kept a physique. You can't have it all.
For me personally, I do either a HIIT or spinning class once a week on top of my running. I’m not a fan of weights but I do sometimes do fitness routines that involve dead lifts etc.

I have resistance bands at home too and use those regularly to protect my hips etc.

I think it’s just preference, as long as you’re doing something to supplement the running you’re on the right track.

daveydavey

Striker
For me personally, I do either a HIIT or spinning class once a week on top of my running. I’m not a fan of weights but I do sometimes do fitness routines that involve dead lifts etc.

I have resistance bands at home too and use those regularly to protect my hips etc.

I think it’s just preference, as long as you’re doing something to supplement the running you’re on the right track.
Yeah for sure. I try and keep strength in because until May I was weight training 6 days per week and had been for 4-5 years. I enjoy it doing it & going to the gym / sauna. I think I really should do Yoga , but I am prioritising :)

D.A

Striker
Yeah for sure. I try and keep strength in because until May I was weight training 6 days per week and had been for 4-5 years. I enjoy it doing it & going to the gym / sauna. I think I really should do Yoga , but I am prioritising :)
Since doing yoga, the physio bloke who fixes me says it's the most supple I've ever been.

oROSSo

Striker
Staff member

Think I'll encorporate some some core and posterior chain stuff, KB swings etc. on top of 3 runs a week.

Adzy

Subs Bench
I usually do 3 runs a week, then the other days I do stuff like rowing, spinning, leg extensions/press, prowler sled push and resistance band stuff.

was gonna order this:

I’ve been using that book for the last 6 weeks.

Knocked 10 mins off my HM PB last weekend - 1:32 and did my first sub 40 10K at Kew Gardens yesterday.

It’s really simple to follow and definitely working for me.

daveydavey

Striker
I'm doing 34 miles on Sunday 28/09 which is the longest I've went by 10 miles, I'm pretty confident I have trained well enough to finish it & had my best training run of 23 miles Thursday gone. I'm after a bit of advice for the next two weeks though, I don't know what sort of volume or intensity I should go for as it's my first real race preparation.

So far I have came up with:

Thursday 12th: 23 miles
fri, sat, sun: rest

Monday (tomorrow): 10k Tempo run
Tuesday: 5k easy
Wednesday: Sprints / High Intensity Intervals
Thursday: S&C at the Gym
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Park run
Sunday: 10 miles easy

Rest & Stretching
Wednesday: 6-8k
Rest & stretching
Saturday: 34 miles

How is that looking do you think? appreciate any advice, and words of comfort regards not losing endurance by resting a week!

Last edited:

D.A

Striker
I'm doing 34 miles on Sunday 28/09 which is the longest I've went by 10 miles, I'm pretty confident I have trained well enough to finish it & had my best training run of 23 miles Thursday gone. I'm after a bit of advice for the next two weeks though, I don't know what sort of volume or intensity I should go for as it's my first real race preparation.

So far I have came up with:

Thursday 12th: 23 miles
fri, sat, sun: rest

Monday (tomorrow): 10k Tempo run
Tuesday: 5k easy
Wednesday: Sprints / High Intensity Intervals
Thursday: S&C at the Gym
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Park run
Sunday: 10 miles easy

Rest & Stretching
Wednesday: 6-8k
Rest & stretching
Saturday: 34 miles

How is that looking do you think? appreciate any advice, and words of comfort regards not losing endurance by resting a week!
Looks alright, just listen to your body.