Running Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a week of recovery running this week, 33km of slow heart-rate based stuff. I've enjoyed doing some more weightlifting sessions too as I really let that go last month.

I've included incline treadmills into this week and quite enjoyed them, I clearly unprepared for the amount of incline running in an ultra marathon. I am going to do another hours worth today. I had planned on booking "A short circuit" ultra for the 2nd November in Otley but just this week have had two social events come up for the 1st & 2nd.

Any suggestions on other north England / Scotland 50km's before the years end?
By not doing the race at the end of the month, it takes away an excuse not to do one of those “Tough Mudder” things someone at work wants me to do. I think it’s the weekend after next.

Last edited:

Had a week of recovery running this week, 33km of slow heart-rate based stuff. I've enjoyed doing some more weightlifting sessions too as I really let that go last month.

I've included incline treadmills into this week and quite enjoyed them, I clearly unprepared for the amount of incline running in an ultra marathon. I am going to do another hours worth today. I had planned on booking "A short circuit" ultra for the 2nd November in Otley but just this week have had two social events come up for the 1st & 2nd.

By not doing the race at the end of the month, it takes away an excuse not to do one of those “Tough Mudder” things someone at work wants me to do. I think it’s the weekend after next.

I think trail outlaws do a marathon at Wooler late November ish, it’s 6000ft of climb roughly so a decent test although it’s not an ultra.

The strollers organise one. 35 miles or so. I'm doing Wooler like.
22 soaking wet, windy miles with Aly Dixon this morning, I wanted 23. 3 weeks till Frankfurt marathon.

Last edited:
Haven't ran since the great north run. Top/middle of ankle intermittently aching like a ligament sprain along with the out-step and arch of foot. Putting it down to over use and general wear and tear but it's taking a frustrating amount of time to sort itself out. Annoying.

Changed my shifts at work this week (for the foreseeable) so am working 12- 9pm. Was at the gym yesterday and got out for a 5km (23:20) this morning, had a coffee down the sea front afterwards...warming to the new pattern!

Im going to do some sprints on Thursday AM & probably park run on Saturday before starting up long runs again next and building up mileage, the Wooler marathon does look decent...
Are you staying near Wooler the night before @D.A or driving up on the morning? I'm going to give it some thought today and likely sign up
Are you doing it @Charlestonian ?

Last edited:
Changed my shifts at work this week (for the foreseeable) so am working 12- 9pm. Was at the gym yesterday and got out for a 5km (23:20) this morning, had a coffee down the sea front afterwards...warming to the new pattern!

Im going to do some sprints on Thursday AM & probably park run on Saturday before starting up long runs again next and building up mileage, the Wooler marathon does look decent...
Are you staying near Wooler the night before @D.A or driving up on the morning? I'm going to give it some thought today and likely sign up
Driving up. Only an hour. I should have room in the car if you want a lift. You'll have to wait for my cousin though!

In Birmingham for a few days with work this week. Been to a lot of cities in England with work since I started running, about 6 years ago now, and this is easily the worst one for running.

Proper concrete jungle, nothing green in sight. Busy streets and busy, narrow, canal paths.

At least the bin men are back to work though. Last time I was here they were on strike and much of my running involved hurdling bin bags :D
Birmingham update: I think I’ve now ran every conceivable route from the city centre out (tend to do 5 miles out and 5 back) and they’re all utterly shit. Tonight’s route through Smethwick towards West Brom can be rivalled in shitness only by Small Heath. Highlights included having to cross a busy road due to a police corden (later finding out on the news there’d been a drive by shooting) :D

Apologies if anyone lives here, I’m sure there are some nice bits. Solihull is alright

Last edited:
Can anyone remember what the Black Friday deals were on Garmin watches last year? I’m after the forerunner 645, but I might hold on until Nov to see if the price comes down

Kielder half on Sunday. Wife is doing her first marathon so made sense I do something when I am there.

Hope the weather outlook improves. Looks like it's going to lash down at the moment

Reactions: D.A

Definitely get signed up for Wooler it's a cracking weekend, they have rooms in the youth hostel or a few people just crashed in the lounge last year. I'm living it up in a b and b this year like so take what you will about the youthy accommodation :lol: :lol:

Currently injured and rehabbing mate, rubbish but necessary. I had a plan in place to start marathon training in January but this injury has taught me I need to behave myself a bit.

Hopefully get some gentle XC in before Christmas. I fancied the Brampton/Carlisle 10 miler too but it’s beyond me at the minute sadly.

Definitely get signed up for Wooler it's a cracking weekend, they have rooms in the youth hostel or a few people just crashed in the lounge last year. I'm living it up in a b and b this year like so take what you will about the youthy accommodation :lol: :lol:
Im just waiting on my manager at work to decide if I need to go on a business trip to Florida the w/c 11th, if he signs that cost off then I can't do it, if he says we can do without then I'm signing up and starting long runs next week. I'll know tomorrow! Hopefully ill get a lift off D.A still but need to see if I can go first :)

Im just waiting on my manager at work to decide if I need to go on a business trip to Florida the w/c 11th, if he signs that cost off then I can't do it, if he says we can do without then I'm signing up and starting long runs next week. I'll know tomorrow! Hopefully ill get a lift off D.A still but need to see if I can go first :)
I think I'd rather be in Florida tbh :lol: I'll be there marshalling as usual, in the warm and dry as I'll be heavily pregnant and almost about to pop by then . If u can't make it then look for the kielder dark skies marathon in march. I am biased like but all Trail outlaws runs are mint

Anyone watching this Kipchoge attempt? It will be an amazing achievement but it’s just so choreographed. Pacemakers on all sides, lines on the ground he has to follow. . . Puts me off a little

Anyone watching this Kipchoge attempt? It will be an amazing achievement but it’s just so choreographed. Pacemakers on all sides, lines on the ground he has to follow. . . Puts me off a little

Not for me. Way too contrived. Great mechanical and marketing feat mind you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back