Running Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

On a more serious note though, don't eat anything you've never tried before in the week before & don't wear anything new on race day.

Carb loading isn't bingeing on pasta the night before. It's a gradual transition of replacing protein & fat with carbs from Wednesday/Thursday onwards without increasing the overall quantity of food.

Breakfast on the morning should just be a relatively light top up of slow burning carbs.
Oh & here's one I say every year

Somewhere in Shields you're going to be overtaken by a little old lady going at what seems like a flat out sprint & some bloke with a fridge or wheelie bin or similar on their back. Don't take it too badly, they do it to nearly everyone.

Last edited:
Any SMBers at the signal relays at Hetton this afters? Morpeth put some naughty teams out and won both men’s and women’s events I think!
Any SMBers at the signal relays at Hetton this afters? Morpeth put some naughty teams out and won both men’s and women’s events I think!

Turns out I was off the mark, Sunderland harriers won the men’s events!

Last edited:
Did 20m last Saturday, ran a 5km PB on Tuesday and have been fucked since. 5km on Thursday and 6km today..heart was through the roof today.

Going to take 2 days off now and start again Tuesday. I suffer from anxiety about taking rest but needs be - hoping I can knock out a decent HM within the next week.
Played footy on Wednesday actually forgot about that

Last edited:

Turns out I was off the mark, Sunderland harriers won the men’s events!
Yeah but they took the bus half way round ;)
I would've turned out but got the smoggy 10K at Acklam in the morning.
I'm doing that. Had too much cider/wine but should be ok in the morning. Over trained for this as done 28 miles so far this wweek up to Thursday but looking to peak next week. Always fast course is Boro. Looking worward to a canny morning..... smog aside.

Last edited:
Yeah but they took the bus half way round ;)

I'm doing that. Had too much cider/wine but should be ok in the morning. Over trained for this as done 28 miles so far this wweek up to Thursday but looking to peak next week. Always fast course is Boro. Looking worward to a canny morning..... smog aside.

My best pals dads favourite running related story that, tells me it every time I see him. 2 of the Morpeth lads squared up and there was a burst lip, unsure what over but I’m told this xc events are quite gentile affairs!

Watching with interest as it's my GNR cherry too.....
Starting in J
Trained plenty and aiming for sub 2:30

Ooof! Tough draw that. That's a lot of walkers you're going to have to zigzag around. IIRC you should be more like Zone G with that sort of expected finish time. The deadline for postal appeals was last Monday but you used to be able to take your number to Exhibition Park the Saturday before with evidence of your ability to run a quicker time than your allocated zone & get upgraded. Might be worth looking into.
I'm in E whatever the hell that means 😂

It's not too bad. I've had a ½ Marathon pb from Zone E in the past . After the Elites there's only the 3 orange zones in front which are all supposed to be sub 1:50 runners iirc There'll be some zigzagging around walkers in the Orange zones who have no business being that far forward but nowhere near as bad as further back.

Last edited:
Did 20m last Saturday, ran a 5km PB on Tuesday and have been fucked since. 5km on Thursday and 6km today..heart was through the roof today.

Going to take 2 days off now and start again Tuesday. I suffer from anxiety about taking rest but needs be - hoping I can knock out a decent HM within the next week.
Played footy on Wednesday actually forgot about that
I had to knock footie on the head, couldn't do both.

Ooof! Tough draw that. That's a lot of walkers you're going to have to zigzag around. IIRC you should be more like Zone G with that sort of expected finish time. The deadline for postal appeals was last Monday but you used to be able to take your number to Exhibition Park the Saturday before with evidence of your ability to run a quicker time than your allocated zone & get upgraded. Might be worth looking into.

Surely they won't move me on the basis of a couple of Strava long runs of 11 miles tho.....

I put down 2:45 on my application as that was my last HM time

Last edited:
3 weeks since I last ran, did my groin in May and kept running. Doc said ligaments, gave naproxen and rest. Stupidly thought I was okay after 6 days, started running again and just ignored the fact I knew I wasn't right at all. Kept it up for weeks then had to give in, all the time after hammering anti-inflammatories, which lead to Gastritis.

Tried to do a lot of walking the last few weeks with a couple of bike rides here and there, but pain is still there at night (though not when walking during the day).

Got me properly down, first real lay off I've had and it is driving me mad. All I can think about is getting out.

first GNR next week, first half marathon for 6 years. looking for 1.50 - 2.00 hours. did 10 miles early this morning in 1.29.00 then went out with the swimming club off roker beach for a bit.

not sure what to do with the rest of my week, got pilates on tuesday and probably go for 1km swim down the pool on wednesday, but i got told not to run in the week before the race to allow muscles to recover... i quite like the sound of that as i'm bound to pull a muscle or something if i go out for a 4 mile run or something.

got my place off a mate who dropped out so i'm in block B i think, hoping to just stick with the 1.50 pace setter if there is one?

3 weeks since I last ran, did my groin in May and kept running. Doc said ligaments, gave naproxen and rest. Stupidly thought I was okay after 6 days, started running again and just ignored the fact I knew I wasn't right at all. Kept it up for weeks then had to give in, all the time after hammering anti-inflammatories, which lead to Gastritis.

Tried to do a lot of walking the last few weeks with a couple of bike rides here and there, but pain is still there at night (though not when walking during the day).

Got me properly down, first real lay off I've had and it is driving me mad. All I can think about is getting out.
What are you going to do about it?
first GNR next week, first half marathon for 6 years. looking for 1.50 - 2.00 hours. did 10 miles early this morning in 1.29.00 then went out with the swimming club off roker beach for a bit.

not sure what to do with the rest of my week, got pilates on tuesday and probably go for 1km swim down the pool on wednesday, but i got told not to run in the week before the race to allow muscles to recover... i quite like the sound of that as i'm bound to pull a muscle or something if i go out for a 4 mile run or something.

got my place off a mate who dropped out so i'm in block B i think, hoping to just stick with the 1.50 pace setter if there is one?
Personally I like to go for a few easy runs, I would do a 5km easy on Friday with some strides.

Last edited:
What are you going to do about it?

Personally I like to go for a few easy runs, I would do a 5km easy on Friday with some strides.

Been to see Kev and Doctor. Got exercises/stretches to do but been told to rest it. Other than that I don't know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back