Running Thread 2019

Thoughts please re: training for a first time marathon.

I can run 13 miles in about 2 hours.

Could I increase the time of my ‘long slow run’ by 15 minutes/approx 1.5 miles every fortnight until I can run about 22 miles? This would be enough preparation for a marathon?

I would incorporate 2 or 3 other sessions per week.

Or is it easier to snatch a proper plan from the interweb?

Definitely the hardest miles I've done this morning. 20 miles in just over 4 hours. I did 4 laps of Cleadon hills, the first one took me down to the bottom of South Shields on the park and back. It's been ideal weather all week but even at 8am it was 17 degrees, lost half a stone in weight despite drinking 3 litres.
More or less exclusively walked the last 3 miles apart from the downhill segments, and also took a massive shit (out of the way don't worry lol) at around mile 14. Got to my car at mile 19.1 and was set to fuck it off but was buzzing with the little extra bit to tick off 20.

That's the last long one before my first Ultra on 28th September. Will probably do x2 half marathons, at least one on trails, and some hiking in the lakes I think.

Last edited:
Thoughts please re: training for a first time marathon.

I can run 13 miles in about 2 hours.

Could I increase the time of my ‘long slow run’ by 15 minutes/approx 1.5 miles every fortnight until I can run about 22 miles? This would be enough preparation for a marathon?

I would incorporate 2 or 3 other sessions per week.

Or is it easier to snatch a proper plan from the interweb?

The plan I’m going to use for Edinburgh is over 16 weeks and tops out at 22 3 weeks out I think.

Thanks, I have seen plans and I’d taper off closer to the race.

I think that I’ll plod for a bit further once or twice a month and see how I get on. I try to run cross country but that could get interesting during Winter.

There’s a lot of excited chatter in my running club regarding xc, not sure I’ll be too involved, I might try a couple of training sessions and see how it treats me.

There’s a lot of excited chatter in my running club regarding xc, not sure I’ll be too involved, I might try a couple of training sessions and see how it treats me.
I really enjoy xc as it keeps me interested in running and I avoid injuries. My usual long run was restricted by flooding last week.
Just sign up for one, don’t procrastinate
The aim was to run one before I turn 50 so I have a few years for pondering.

Last edited:
I really enjoy xc as it keeps me interested in running and I avoid injuries. My usual long run was restricted by flooding last week.

The aim was to run one before I turn 50 so I have a few years for pondering.

You run for a club in Burton do you mate?

Similarly I love the xc, makes running feel like a team-sport when it wouldn't usually.

Entering Mid-Cheshire 5k on Thursday if anyone is looking for a fast 5k for a PB. It's meant to be rapid.

Definitely the hardest miles I've done this morning. 20 miles in just over 4 hours. I did 4 laps of Cleadon hills, the first one took me down to the bottom of South Shields on the park and back. It's been ideal weather all week but even at 8am it was 17 degrees, lost half a stone in weight despite drinking 3 litres.
More or less exclusively walked the last 3 miles apart from the downhill segments, and also took a massive shit (out of the way don't worry lol) at around mile 14. Got to my car at mile 19.1 and was set to fuck it off but was buzzing with the little extra bit to tick off 20.

That's the last long one before my first Ultra on 28th September. Will probably do x2 half marathons, at least one on trails, and some hiking in the lakes I think.
what race you doing on the 28th ?

Everyone who I know who runs has an injury of some sort. Are we sure humans are mean't to run for long periods of time?

I’ve always had niggles till I started doing yoga/Pilates exercises, I’m a lot stronger for those and having a lot less bother. The boring stuff helps as well though, proper warm ups, stretching afterwards and not running too far too fast or too soon.

The last thing I’ve mentioned is the main cause of most of my previous injuries.

Back