Running Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone who I know who runs has an injury of some sort. Are we sure humans are mean't to run for long periods of time?

They're probably overtraining. I used to be the same but a couple of years back I deliberately dropped my mileage by about 25% & started paying more attention to recovery & strength & conditioning & am now 19 months injury free & as a middle aged bloke I'm beating times I set in my early 30s

I ran a high effort 5k last night and feel worse this morning than when I've ran much longer in the past. The same thing happened 2 weeks ago when I did a high effort 10k.

When you do these high intensity runs do you find / is it normal to feel worse than running half marathon + distance the next day?

I ran a high effort 5k last night and feel worse this morning than when I've ran much longer in the past. The same thing happened 2 weeks ago when I did a high effort 10k.

When you do these high intensity runs do you find / is it normal to feel worse than running half marathon + distance the next day?

I don’t know about others but what I tend to do after I’ve ran 5 or 10k at maximum effort is run at least 2 miles afterwards at 10 minute mile pace or so, then I’ll stretch etc, I’d wake up really sore the next day before I started doing that.

Agree with @Charlestonian about dedicating a bit more time to stretching and warming down. Also have to consider its completely normal after racing to expect a bit of recovery time. Longer the distance at a high intensity the longer it will take to recover. Especially after a half marathon or 10k it's probably best to reduce your pace the next few times you run and avoid speed work to give your body time to recover.

I don’t know about others but what I tend to do after I’ve ran 5 or 10k at maximum effort is run at least 2 miles afterwards at 10 minute mile pace or so, then I’ll stretch etc, I’d wake up really sore the next day before I started doing that.
I did 2km after the 5km effort last night - stretching is always something I should do but given it was pissing down with rain I jumped straight in the car. In anycase I am referring to fatigue more than aches and pains - I did 20 mile on Saturday, two recovery days then a 5km all out. Felt knackered this morning.

I did 2km after the 5km effort last night - stretching is always something I should do but given it was pissing down with rain I jumped straight in the car. In anycase I am referring to fatigue more than aches and pains - I did 20 mile on Saturday, two recovery days then a 5km all out. Felt knackered this morning.

What are your meals like after you’ve put hard efforts in? I probably should have read your post properly before I replied before!

What are your meals like after you’ve put hard efforts in? I probably should have read your post properly before I replied before!
Pretty terrible! Last night I had a recovery carb shake, then a Yorkshire pudding filled with beef and potato , and a few packs of quavers :lol:

I’ve never really thought about post running meals, my pre-run is OK I think but afterwards I just try and find some carbs

Pretty terrible! Last night I had a recovery carb shake, then a Yorkshire pudding filled with beef and potato , and a few packs of quavers :lol:

I’ve never really thought about post running meals, my pre-run is OK I think but afterwards I just try and find some carbs

Could be your answer there then, I’m not a fan of eating after a hard run, I tend to feel a bit sick but I try to poke something in with a decent amount of protein in afterwards, I still feel the effects of big efforts afterwards but decent food goes a long way to helping me.

I'd thought i'd treat myself to a pair of Nike ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT%, fuck me they are unbelievable to run in. I knocked off 90 seconds off my 10K PB last week and then nearly 3 mins off my 10 mile PB last night

Genuinely feels like I'm cheating wearing them.

Reactions: D.A
I'd thought i'd treat myself to a pair of Nike ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT%, fuck me they are unbelievable to run in. I knocked off 90 seconds off my 10K PB last week and then nearly 3 mins off my 10 mile PB last night

Genuinely feels like I'm cheating wearing them.
Just read the reviews for them, sound class.

Just got my GNR bib back after appealing against my zone allocation & I've been bumped up to Zone C. Furthest forward I'll have ever started which hopefully means minimal zigzagging around walkers etc.

Just got my GNR bib back after appealing against my zone allocation & I've been bumped up to Zone C. Furthest forward I'll have ever started which hopefully means minimal zigzagging around walkers etc.
I was zone C the two times I done the GNR, had fears about bottlenecks and getting stuck behind people who have no business being that far forward but it opens up pretty quickly so you should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back