Running Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Doorstep marathon (it started out as a mara but now the 1/2 and 10k have been added so its more inclusive) is not a race at all - although there is always someone who is first home and claims a race win on their record ! Its all about raising money for a couple of local charities and started out many years ago when one of the strollers was marathon training. If memory serves me the race was cancelled with very little notice so rather than put his training to waste he decided to run a marathon around the streets calling into other strollers' houses on the way for water / food ect - hence the doorstep name was created. This then grew from 3-4 people doing it the following year to the circa 200 ish that will probably do the event this year - and an obvious route change. Its often run in groups at different paces and people have a chat and a laugh all the way around. Good fun and well worth doing.

Did the 10k yesterday. Lovely little run. Strollers seems like a class running club. Hope they raised plenty of money

Reactions: D.A

Just did my last run of the year yesterday before my winter break (I know I'm a soft shite who doesn't like going out in the cold). 700 miles done according to my garmin. Tbf my winter breaks are getting shorter, so I should be back out a few weeks after New year. Merry Christmas everyone

Cheers. First 10k was 50.50. Knee seems okay and off to the physio for a chat soon about it, but can live with the discomfort and doc reckons it won't cause issues as I get older. I'm old enough now mind.

Dream is to add 1k each month and maybe do the sunderland half in 2019.

I’m probably no medical case study and I have no idea what is wrong with your knee but I’ve found running to be good for my knee. Had loads of problems with it in my late 30s , probably from years of Footy.....but since I took up running (and it was in docs advice) it’s been miles better. I need chushioned trainers but other than that, all in working order in my 40s now.

I’m probably no medical case study and I have no idea what is wrong with your knee but I’ve found running to be good for my knee. Had loads of problems with it in my late 30s , probably from years of Footy.....but since I took up running (and it was in docs advice) it’s been miles better. I need chushioned trainers but other than that, all in working order in my 40s now.
It's a inflamed tendon.

Been told today that it's okay to keep running and just to listen to my body and if it starts to really hurt then to rest it.

He was also quite impressed with my time for a bloke of my age.

Anyone cross country running at Redcar tomorrow? Gonna be arctic. I’m considering use of my base layer for the race !

Not sure where to go from here.

First goal was to get running again and do the couch to 5k. Then it was get to 10k.

Now I don't know if I should just stay at 10k and or aim for more. At my age and with possible injuries I always leave 2 days rest and since the couch to 5k I've upped the km by 1 each month so not putting too much pressure on old injuries. I could have done 10k a couple of months ago but this way seems to work for me.

Is it feasible to aim for half marathon by adding 1k each month or is that asking for trouble running that much every 3 days.
What do other people run in a week if you're in mid 40's.

Guess I could just keep going and if body says knock it off then drop back down.

Not sure where to go from here.

First goal was to get running again and do the couch to 5k. Then it was get to 10k.

Now I don't know if I should just stay at 10k and or aim for more. At my age and with possible injuries I always leave 2 days rest and since the couch to 5k I've upped the km by 1 each month so not putting too much pressure on old injuries. I could have done 10k a couple of months ago but this way seems to work for me.

Is it feasible to aim for half marathon by adding 1k each month or is that asking for trouble running that much every 3 days.
What do other people run in a week if you're in mid 40's.

Guess I could just keep going and if body says knock it off then drop back down.

Once I start training for a specific event I drop down to 3 runs a week as thats the most I can do with any sort of intensity without getting injured. I then cross train 2 or 3 times a week with strength training & low impact cardio (rotate between exercise bike, rowing & aquajogging. ) I use a variation of this for ½ Marathons https://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/3-day-half-marathon-training-plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back