Running Thread 2017

Any ideas how many in the 10k. The missus fancies it as well. Bit worried about the standard - in that we might be swept up by the broom. About 45 mins for me, 50+ for her....

its more of a fun run to raise money or the sunderland hospital cancer ward (or was last year), great cause mind you and get a bacon sarnie and pint at the end but very few pope actually race it (its mainly strollers but open to anybody) .

If seeking a local 10k race before Christmas - Dalton park 10k 16/12, Saltwell 10k 23/12

Any ideas how many in the 10k. The missus fancies it as well. Bit worried about the standard - in that we might be swept up by the broom. About 45 mins for me, 50+ for her....
I did it back it 2014 and it was great fun. Just signed up for this one. No idea where keel square is like

its more of a fun run to raise money or the sunderland hospital cancer ward (or was last year), great cause mind you and get a bacon sarnie and pint at the end but very few pope actually race it (its mainly strollers but open to anybody) .

If seeking a local 10k race before Christmas - Dalton park 10k 16/12, Saltwell 10k 23/12

Dalton park is Sunday 17th. Might sign up and give it a go. First 10k will be about 2 weeks before so should be fine even with my gammy knee

Last edited:
The 10K was only introduced for the 1st time last year & it's nowhere near Keel Square. You're thinking of the Sunderland 10K in May.
The sunderland 10k is keel square start and finish. The one I did in 2014 was start and finish at the sol.

Looking at the Dalton park one now. Will that be okay for me at around 50 minutes. Or is this more serious than a fun run.

The sunderland 10k is keel square start and finish. The one I did in 2014 was start and finish at the sol.

Looking at the Dalton park one now. Will that be okay for me at around 50 minutes. Or is this more serious than a fun run.

The one you did & the Keel Square one are the same race, they just changed the Start/Finish when Siglion became the main sponsors so they can showcase Keel Square.

The 10K that was being discussed was the Sunderland Strollers Doorstep 10K which starts/finishes at the Yacht Club this coming Sunday.

Dalton Park is the 1st time it's being run so it's difficult to say what the field will be like. I know some fairly fast lads who are doing it but a few relative novices as well

The one you did & the Keel Square one are the same race, they just changed the Start/Finish when Siglion became the main sponsors so they can showcase Keel Square.

The 10K that was being discussed was the Sunderland Strollers Doorstep 10K which starts/finishes at the Yacht Club this coming Sunday.

Dalton Park is the 1st time it's being run so it's difficult to say what the field will be like. I know some fairly fast lads who are doing it but a few relative novices as well
Cheers. Might contact them to make sure I'm not out of my depth

I doubt you'll be anywhere near the back if that's what you're worried about. Every race has loads of people who enter, don't train, but then decide to do it anyway & start walking within the 1st mile.
They reckon I'll be in the middle. Just worried in case it was more of a race than a run, if that makes sense.

Anyway, getting myself on it.

That is a different Sunderland 10k.
Keep square is near the old Vaux brewery site. But it’s not till May next year I think.

Might have a look at Dalton park myself as well. Have a feeling I’m out on the hoy the night before though.

They reckon I'll be in the middle. Just worried in case it was more of a race than a run, if that makes sense.

Anyway, getting myself on it.

The Doorstep marathon (it started out as a mara but now the 1/2 and 10k have been added so its more inclusive) is not a race at all - although there is always someone who is first home and claims a race win on their record ! Its all about raising money for a couple of local charities and started out many years ago when one of the strollers was marathon training. If memory serves me the race was cancelled with very little notice so rather than put his training to waste he decided to run a marathon around the streets calling into other strollers' houses on the way for water / food ect - hence the doorstep name was created. This then grew from 3-4 people doing it the following year to the circa 200 ish that will probably do the event this year - and an obvious route change. Its often run in groups at different paces and people have a chat and a laugh all the way around. Good fun and well worth doing.

Start Fitness in Newcastle have these facilities.
I went to Sweatshop in York and they done exactly this but it's shut down now think there is one in Newcastle tho.

If you are still looking for shoes try here - they have some cracking deals on Scott trail shoes which really you could do with over the winter. Trail shoes are generally neutral because the terrain is uneven.

They have a deals section where you can save a wodge if you like Scott shoes https://runfreaks.com/collections/mega-deals

It was much better at the Sol imo. I did the half marathon in 2015 from there and the rain was torrential. It was handy just to get sorted in the concourse and just literally step out of the south stand and onto the start line without having to piss about walking from the bridges to the start

Any Blackhill Bounders on here. See them going past my house pretty regularly, tempted to join up, usual worries that ill be crap.

Any Blackhill Bounders on here. See them going past my house pretty regularly, tempted to join up, usual worries that ill be crap.
Where’d you live mate? I’m in leadgate. Ran for the bounders for a few years though i do most of my training myself. Club meets at 6pm outside Consett leisure centre every Tuesday and Thursday. All abilities catered for. Worth popping along to blackhill Park Run on a Saturday morning too if you’ve time as that’s run by the bounders. It’s cancelled tomorrow though.

Im in consett, just run a few times a month at the minute, cant get out as much as id like to so dont seem to progress (also getting older each day).
Just quite fancy joining a group to train for general fitness etc.

I’m doing the Dalton Park run and I’ll be about 50min ish

Sod it just signed up for Dalton park. Knee feels okay after the 10k yesterday so unless the physio tells me to stop running (which I doubt), I'll be doing it.

Will be my 6th 10k after yesterday so should be in the swing of it.

Back