Running Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
treadmills are incredibly boring, but I use one at gym once in a while , need to be aware though that its easier than running outside (no wind resistance etc) and you gait will be slightly different also , as others have said you will benefit more by running outside , my eldest keeps asking if we can get a treadmill but I haven't buckled yet

I was told on a treadmill you basically bounce along rather than run properly. I probably do a quarter of my running on a treadmill and I can get off after 10k and feel fine and fairly fresh if a little bored. 4k outside and I'm blowing out my arse normally.

I was told on a treadmill you basically bounce along rather than run properly. I probably do a quarter of my running on a treadmill and I can get off after 10k and feel fine and fairly fresh if a little bored. 4k outside and I'm blowing out my arse normally.

if you run on a treadmill put it on 2-3% incline as it more reflects 'normal' running in terms of muscle usage. They are great things for hill work / intervals and icy nights but not that much else really.

Best bit of advice I got was ditch the treadmill and and get outside. You don't overheat, scenery is nicer, the sessions go much quicker and it builds different muscles.

The weather is great now, get out and about.
I know, I'm just a bit self-conscious about it with carrying a bit timber (IMO) and I live near the beach so loads of cars going past. Hoping to lose a bit and then start going out in the sunshine.

Cocked up the dates for the delivery and it's not till this weekend so using a cross trainer instead which will hopefully ease me back into it a bit more.

I know, I'm just a bit self-conscious about it with carrying a bit timber (IMO) and I live near the beach so loads of cars going past. Hoping to lose a bit and then start going out in the sunshine.

Cocked up the dates for the delivery and it's not till this weekend so using a cross trainer instead which will hopefully ease me back into it a bit more.
I was in your situation, but believe me no one gives a shit. Your just another person to drive past.

Basically on a treadmill the belt travels towards you so even on an incline you don't need to engage your glutes to push off, it's surface is always completely flat & gives a much softer impact so you don't need as much joint strength & you never do a decline which stresses the muscles & knees in a completely different way to flat/incline running. That's before you even start taking things like wind/weather into account.

I must admit I find running on treadmills harder. I use mine for 'topping up' mileage really and usually set it at 9mph. I'm absolutely goosed after 30-40 mins at that pace yet I can manage that comfortably outside. I think it's the relentless nature of keeping at the exact same pace rather than speeding up/slowing down as you naturally get outside with weather/terrain etc.

I must admit I find running on treadmills harder. I use mine for 'topping up' mileage really and usually set it at 9mph. I'm absolutely goosed after 30-40 mins at that pace yet I can manage that comfortably outside. I think it's the relentless nature of keeping at the exact same pace rather than speeding up/slowing down as you naturally get outside with weather/terrain etc.

Treadmills were easier than running outside i thought, until I gave it a go. Now I use it as the exception. Running outside is much easier to do but harder on my muscles if that makes sense. I couldn't break 27 min doing 5k on the mill and was left buckled, but I'm hitting nearer 22 outside, with more in the tank at the end.

Treadmills were easier than running outside i thought, until I gave it a go. Now I use it as the exception. Running outside is much easier to do but harder on my muscles if that makes sense. I couldn't break 27 min doing 5k on the mill and was left buckled, but I'm hitting nearer 22 outside, with more in the tank at the end.
That's exactly how I feel

Treadmills is more taxing mentally than physically , almost impossible without music on , for me anyway
Aye, I've been trying this recently. Starting at 8mph and upping the pace by 0.2mph after every song. Slightly eases the dullness

I know magicrat put his steps compilation cd on when using treadmill , maybe try that ?
You're too old to have heard of steps mate :)

Basically on a treadmill the belt travels towards you so even on an incline you don't need to engage your glutes to push off, it's surface is always completely flat & gives a much softer impact so you don't need as much joint strength & you never do a decline which stresses the muscles & knees in a completely different way to flat/incline running. That's before you even start taking things like wind/weather into account.
interesting - so on an incline how do you not fall off the back if not using glutes, hamstrings and general 'drive train' to maintain a forward force and hence keep on it ? As for joint strength - what is that? Its not your joints that have strength its the muscle and connective tissue that does the work when running not the joints ? I think a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing :)

interesting - so on an incline how do you not fall off the back if not using glutes, hamstrings and general 'drive train' to maintain a forward force and hence keep on it ? As for joint strength - what is that? Its not your joints that have strength its the muscle and connective tissue that does the work when running not the joints ? I think a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing :)

I was trying to put it in laymans terms. Apparently I failed.

I used to feel like that but you soon realise that nobody gives a shit. Anyone passing in a car isn't running and you are so you're already doing better than them. Anyone who is out running has been where you are at some point so will wish you well. I always run down the front and look an absolute clip after about two minutes but I don't care.

First time I used one I misunderstood and thought I was setting it at 10 minute miles and set it 10mph. Surprisingly there is a considerable difference.:lol:

Last edited:
Has anyone got any recommendations for running byuts with a decent level of cushioning. The New Balance ones I've got have been spot on. Comfy with no blistering (once I figured out how to tie a heel lock)

As I'm getting the mileage up and doing all my miles outdoors I'm after something a bit more cushioned. I know the usual advice is to go get gait analysis and try plenty on, which I will do but I'm after first hand experience not sales patter.

Has anyone got any recommendations for running byuts with a decent level of cushioning. The New Balance ones I've got have been spot on. Comfy with no blistering (once I figured out how to tie a heel lock)

As I'm getting the mileage up and doing all my miles outdoors I'm after something a bit more cushioned. I know the usual advice is to go get gait analysis and try plenty on, which I will do but I'm after first hand experience not sales patter.
I've run in adidas, new balance, brooks, puma and asics. Do most of my running in adidas boost because they're mega light but always found asics to be most comfortable and cushioned.

Their best shoes tend to be named after clouds. . cumulus, nimbus

I've run in adidas, new balance, brooks, puma and asics. Do most of my running in adidas boost because they're mega light but always found asics to be most comfortable and cushioned.

Their best shoes tend to be named after clouds. . cumulus, nimbus
The Adidas Boost ones get good reviews and for you quick lads they look the bollocks.

I have a few workmates who swear by them. But as I'm not chasing grams of weight due to still being overweight (thanks NHS BMI calculator)

Brooks Ghost 9's get a good write up for being well cushioned and comfy. But on the other hand they are not much cheaper than Adidas boost (in shit colours mind)

The Adidas Boost ones get good reviews and for you quick lads they look the bollocks.

I have a few workmates who swear by them. But as I'm not chasing grams of weight due to still being overweight (thanks NHS BMI calculator)

Brooks Ghost 9's get a good write up for being well cushioned and comfy. But on the other hand they are not much cheaper than Adidas boost (in shit colours mind)
The ghosts are decent. None of them are cheap mind. Start fitness in Newcastle (near greys monument) often has most decent models in some sort of sale. Prob still looking at £60-80 though.

Anyone who told you running is free told a big fib :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back