Running Thread 2017

The ghosts are decent. None of them are cheap mind. Start fitness in Newcastle (near greys monument) often has most decent models in some sort of sale. Prob still looking at £60-80 though.

Anyone who told you running is free told a big fib :)
as long as she doesn't realise what I'm spending on Amazon I'll be ok.

I've run in adidas, new balance, brooks, puma and asics. Do most of my running in adidas boost because they're mega light but always found asics to be most comfortable and cushioned.

Their best shoes tend to be named after clouds. . cumulus, nimbus
I need more support in mine but rotate between Asics Kayano and Adidas Boost. Recently upgraded the Kayano from an older pair but they feel heavy. Now I've run them in a bit they are beginning to feel a little more cushioned but I'm not enjoying using them whereas my old ones served me well. Probably all in my mind.
I'm just a plodder rather than a runner so I doubt it makes much difference performance wise.

First Fell Race yesterday, kin ell, different breed over on them hills. First two miles were run uphill steady, next 3 to top of Skiddaw was hiking with spurts of running, then 4.5 miles down at break neck, quad mashing speed, trying to stop from going arse over t1t. Cost £7 to enter with Keswick AC and a fine buffet and tea after, that's more like running!! Try it out people, great day.

some of them fell runners are amazing mate, especially when you see them running downhill, the balance they have and they literally just go for it without fear

First Fell Race yesterday, kin ell, different breed over on them hills. First two miles were run uphill steady, next 3 to top of Skiddaw was hiking with spurts of running, then 4.5 miles down at break neck, quad mashing speed, trying to stop from going arse over t1t. Cost £7 to enter with Keswick AC and a fine buffet and tea after, that's more like running!! Try it out people, great day.
Love fell racing - lots around on NYM's - theres a summer series on a Wednesday night - normally 5-7 quid entry.

Has anyone got any recommendations for running byuts with a decent level of cushioning. The New Balance ones I've got have been spot on. Comfy with no blistering (once I figured out how to tie a heel lock)

As I'm getting the mileage up and doing all my miles outdoors I'm after something a bit more cushioned. I know the usual advice is to go get gait analysis and try plenty on, which I will do but I'm after first hand experience not sales patter.
Anything but Nike and you will be alright. I've ran in NB, Adidas, Reebok, Brooks but I had some Nike's last year and they were shit and I blame them for knacking my foot up. Within weeks of f***ing them off, my foot improved 100%

some of them fell runners are amazing mate, especially when you see them running downhill, the balance they have and they literally just go for it without fear
Certainly do mate, lad in front of me went down and smashed his eye open. The thing is the leaders float down, when in fact I raced down first couple hundred yards, then my quads were mashed so you sometimes don't pick your feet up properly which could lead to a nasty fall. Not easy, my legs were still stiff yesterday. But a great experience. Will have a look at local ones Archiesdad.

9 weeks ago when I set off to get back into my running after what I think was over 2 years, if not more I thought it would be great if I finished the couch to 5k.

Today I managed 6k in 29 minutes 58 seconds. True it was pissing down and I loved every minute of it.

It's a great feeling getting to the running for 30 mins week and actually doing it whilst thinking back to just the few weeks before when you were hanging out ya arse running for five! I'm at that stage now, running 3.5-4 miles continuous and now looking forward to increasing my running time/distance.

I know, I'm just a bit self-conscious about it with carrying a bit timber (IMO) and I live near the beach so loads of cars going past. Hoping to lose a bit and then start going out in the sunshine.

Cocked up the dates for the delivery and it's not till this weekend so using a cross trainer instead which will hopefully ease me back into it a bit more.

I felt really self-conscious at first too, so started going out early mornings. Most of my runs are at around 6am and it's a great way to start the day. Also you'll quickly get to a point when you realise you have fuck all to be self-conscious about.

Last edited:
Certainly do mate, lad in front of me went down and smashed his eye open. The thing is the leaders float down, when in fact I raced down first couple hundred yards, then my quads were mashed so you sometimes don't pick your feet up properly which could lead to a nasty fall. Not easy, my legs were still stiff yesterday. But a great experience. Will have a look at local ones Archiesdad.

Check our Esk Valley Fell club - they 'manage' the winter and summer series.

Anything but Nike and you will be alright. I've ran in NB, Adidas, Reebok, Brooks but I had some Nike's last year and they were shit and I blame them for knacking my foot up. Within weeks of f***ing them off, my foot improved 100%

I really like Nike's have three pairs in my rotation hated the new balances and brooks I had.

For total cushioning I really like my Hoka's do all my long runs in them.

How many days before the GNR would you lot say was right for doing my last 10 miler? Trying to plot out my programme for next 10 weeks

How many days before the GNR would you lot say was right for doing my last 10 miler? Trying to plot out my programme for next 10 weeks
Edit: 8 week programme :eek:

Last edited:

Edit: 8 week programme :eek:

Depends how you pace it...If you batter it then two weeks, if you run it comfortably (45secs to 1 min above race pace) then a week.......Not a huge amount to be gained fitness wise by doing a long run this close to race day (other than in your head) the work has/should have been already done.

Clifton's, but think they all much of a muchness depending on which are on offer, I bought Clifton 1's can still get some 2's around sometime cheaper than the 3's guessing they will have a new version out soon.

If you are road racing Cliftons are the boy, they are significantly lighter than most Hokas while still retaining a stupid amount of cushioning....They are a "half" Hoka in the sense they have in theory half the depth of cushioning but unlike the trail version of the shoe (Challenger) they feel like they have a full cushion......Cracking shoe although you will probs need Injinji toe socks as get blistered to foook with them between toes if standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back