Running Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on doing the Wooler 28 miler 6 weeks after doing my main Autumn marathon, is that too close together? Do want to maybe do some ultras next year so thought this a decent one to start otherwise locally there doesn't seem to be much till march/April next year.
It'll be fine

Reactions: Esh

just read up on Escape To Meriden and seems intriguing and totally bonkers. Think I would run with someone else, perhaps chained together being an option.
Yep. But great fun to watch on the live drone tracker as everyone heads off in different directions. Of the group I was following, one pulled out beforehand from injury, two stopped after 30 miles from blisters from the torrential rain for 4 hours, and the other made it to 60 miles.

The return run where you pick a start point and then run to the finish looks like it would be even more nuts than this one. Great innovative ideas for these events though. Might be tempted for next year!

Yep. But great fun to watch on the live drone tracker as everyone heads off in different directions. Of the group I was following, one pulled out beforehand from injury, two stopped after 30 miles from blisters from the torrential rain for 4 hours, and the other made it to 60 miles.

The return run where you pick a start point and then run to the finish looks like it would be even more nuts than this one. Great innovative ideas for these events though. Might be tempted for next year!
Where's the start?

Still can't run :lol: (3 years later - possibly more)

If it's not IT band problems it's Jumper's knee. Tried knee braces, knee sleeves, different trainers, stretching, rolling, physio and wear insoles from the chiropractor due to having flat feet.

Luckily in Crossfit you tend not to run more than a mile at a time so I can just about get away with it, but even doing 5 x 400 metres (with other workouts in between each run) can start the pain off and leave me struggling to walk down the stairs for a couple of days which isn't ideal.

Think I'm just not built to run, which is a shame as I was starting to enjoy it.

Last edited:
Still can't run :lol: (3 years later - possibly more)

If it's not IT band problems it's Jumper's knee. Tried knee braces, knee sleeves, different trainers, stretching, rolling, physio and wear insoles from the chiropractor due to having flat feet.

Luckily in Crossfit you tend not to run more than a mile at a time so I can just about get away with it, but even doing 5 x 400 metres (with other workouts in between each run) can start the pain off and leave me struggling to walk down the stairs for a couple of days which isn't ideal.

Think I'm just not built to run, which is a shame as I was starting to enjoy it.
Still using cheap trainers?

https://m.facebook.com/steveriley123/?locale2=en_GB

This guy got me injury free

Where's the start?
In the regular event the start is meriden and you run away as far as you can.

They're also planning an alternative event where you choose where to start, with the finish at meriden. The finishing positions are based on who gets to the finish line within the 24 hour cut-off having started the furthest away.

Tried a few different pairs. Chiropractor thought the last ones I had were ok.

Some days I'll run a mile fine, others I can feel it starting within a few hundred metres.
Try steve, he's awesome.

They're also planning an alternative event where you choose where to start, with the finish at meriden. The finishing positions are based on who gets to the finish line within the 24 hour cut-off having started the furthest away.
How would you get back to your car :lol:

Still using cheap trainers?

https://m.facebook.com/steveriley123/?locale2=en_GB

This guy got me injury free
I thought you were using some fella a coxhoe

There's a few of these type of gimmicky 'escape' races - one where you are driven to the start blindfolded and have 12 hrs to get as far away as possible without a map. The meridian one you can pre plan your route - its the furthest away as the crow flies that wins I think - they also do one in pairs from meridian chained together - pairs are picked from a hat on the day. Many of these are as much luck as running ability. They are the kind of thing people do to fill a weekend rather than a particular A-race.

Last edited:

There's a few of these type of gimmicky 'escape' races - one where you are driven to the start blindfolded and have 12 hrs to get as far away as possible without a map. The meridian one you can pre plan your route - its the furthest away as the crow flies that wins I think - they also do one in pairs from meridian chained together - pairs are picked from a hat on the day. Many of these are as much luck as running ability. They are the kind of thing people do to fill a weekend rather than a particular A-race.
I did, got rid of my plantar fascitis. This bloke managed to straighten up my body and got rid of my niggles.

The meriden ones don't seem as 'luck or 'gimmicky' as others, and in the pairs they do it isnt chance who you end up with as far as i know. Certainly not like the piece of string race or anything like that for chance. Agree though they dont generally target trying to be serious runners main event of the year. Good fun nonetheless amd you still get some very capable ultra runners taking part.

Had to stop my run yesterday early, just too hot. Had to do the same two weeks ago but this time around I managed 1 km further (17 overall), progress! Last week I did a HM PB at 2:12 so well on the way to hitting my goal of 2:10 at the GNR.

2 weeks to go and up to 25 minutes. I feel fine. No aches in the 3 places I expected.

But, now I've got the bug again, I'm going to have to make decisons.

First one is that I'm running and then leaving 2 full days before running again. I'd like to run every other day but is that too much of a risk considering my issues with Achilles, sore knee and arthritis.

Second one is once I get to 5k do I try and up it to 10k over time.

I'm at the stage where running 30mins every three days is something I thought I'd never do again so part of me thinks don't push it. But then again :lol:

2 weeks to go and up to 25 minutes. I feel fine. No aches in the 3 places I expected.

But, now I've got the bug again, I'm going to have to make decisons.

First one is that I'm running and then leaving 2 full days before running again. I'd like to run every other day but is that too much of a risk considering my issues with Achilles, sore knee and arthritis.

Second one is once I get to 5k do I try and up it to 10k over time.

I'm at the stage where running 30mins every three days is something I thought I'd never do again so part of me thinks don't push it. But then again :lol:
There'll be people on here far more qualified than me to speak about this but I think you will start seeing huge improvements if you up your running to four or five times a week. The more you run, the stronger your muscles become around the knees etc so the less likely you are to injure them. Obviously there'll be a transformation period but apart from looking like Forest Gump, I've found a knee support to be beneficial.
There's plenty of 5k to 10k programmes out there. Try one of them and see how you go.

Due to injury and illness I've pretty much been out of action since doing the Sunderland half in 2014. I've had loads of false starts and getting past the 5k mark was proving harder than expected. Two biggest changes I made were the knee brace and getting an exercise bike to warm up on before going out. Also added a half marathon training plan to my app and I'm trying to stick to it. Still a long way to go but the last couple of weeks have seen it start feeling more like it did in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back