Running Thread 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
longest run ever tonight - almost by accident.

19K in 1:40.55. I know i'm hardly Mo Farah but it was a really easy run and i was hardly out of breath at the end. I only set out to do about half that distance but felt good so just kept on going. If someone had said i could do that back in Jan when i started this stupid past-time i'd have said they were mad. Have to say i'm pretty pleased with myself.

19K in 1:40.55. I know i'm hardly Mo Farah but it was a really easy run and i was hardly out of breath at the end. I only set out to do about half that distance but felt good so just kept on going. If someone had said i could do that back in Jan when i started this stupid past-time i'd have said they were mad. Have to say i'm pretty pleased with myself.

Well done mate. Sometimes you just feel good once you get going. :)

good going that mate. Thats the sort of pace im hoping to to do the marathon in, i've managed it up to about 16miles, but not over any longer....:neutral:

paying for it this morning. couple of blisters on each foot, right calf is stiff as a board and my left knee is killing (outer / lower area) - couldn't walk up the flight of stairs to the office this morning. My knee started to hurt after about 10miles but i was still some way from home so kept going - big mistake i suspect. Think my planned track work tonight may have to be postponed!!

right calf is stiff as a board

I bought a foam roller last week to try and ease my tight calves which lead to shin splints. Did 13miles Sat, 5 on Monday and the hardest game of 5-a-side I've played in a while last night and so far so good (a bit of ice has helped as well). Got it for £11 on Sports Fitness.

I bought a foam roller last week to try and ease my tight calves which lead to shin splints. Did 13miles Sat, 5 on Monday and the hardest game of 5-a-side I've played in a while last night and so far so good (a bit of ice has helped as well). Got it for £11 on Sports Fitness.

ive seen these before but don't know much about them - are they supposed to simulate a massage or something?

ive seen these before but don't know much about them - are they supposed to simulate a massage or something?

More or less. You can also exercise with them in a siimilar way to a swiss ball, but I bought it for massage. I was screaming in pain the first time I did my right calf as I had a great big knot, but it has eased off now.

been using a foam roller for a while now, not just on my legs also on my back they really are a good bit of kit to have, go on you tube and watch the experts use them for tips they are quite painful to start with but really help, tonight i done only 4.6miles in 35.49mins, had sore groins off that 11.5 mile run but needed to get out and keep moving

been using a foam roller for a while now, not just on my legs also on my back they really are a good bit of kit to have, go on you tube and watch the experts use them for tips they are quite painful to start with but really help, tonight i done only 4.6miles in 35.49mins, had sore groins off that 11.5 mile run but needed to get out and keep moving

i was looking at these online earlier today - can't say ive ever seen them before but they seem to be popular and very effective. i might order one off amazon later - i think they are about £15 or so depending on what size you get.

i was looking at these online earlier today - can't say ive ever seen them before but they seem to be popular and very effective. i might order one off amazon later - i think they are about £15 or so depending on what size you get.

i got mine off amazon for about that price, you wont regret it if you buy one but do learn how to use it properly

Got my London Marathon number this evening. Excited and nervous in equal measures.

fair play to you mate, i've just started training for my first GNR but couldn't imagine running a marathon, it just seems so far...

since last week when i first started posting on this thread i did a few 4 mile runs at a decent time (for me) of around 7.30 mins per mile but then i worked away at the weekend (three evenings on the drink) and i'm struggling again, surprise surprise. back down to about 8.30 mins per mile although it was post-work with a rucksack, largely uphill, and felt pretty easy.

another week or two of 4-5 milers and then i might try and kick on to 7-8 miles if i'm feeling ok. 4-5 miles feels relatively easy, don't have to really push myself at all other than getting beyond the lazyitis aspect. if that's the case should i be looking to up the actual time spent running rather than looking at the stopwatch?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, have managed to fuck up monumentally....well into my training for the Leeds half marathon, at about 10 comfortable miles at 8:30ish avg with 3 weeks to go...even spent 12 days on holiday in the states and did 4 runs over there.

Anyway, tonight it's become apparent that the date clashes with my old man's surprise 70th birthday party at Lumley castle and as it's a lunchtime do, there's no way i can do it and get back in time! Gutted!

Sooo, if anyone is interested in doing it, then let me know as there's a very strong possibility that there's a free number on the go....is 13th of may!

fair play to you mate, i've just started training for my first GNR but couldn't imagine running a marathon, it just seems so far...

since last week when i first started posting on this thread i did a few 4 mile runs at a decent time (for me) of around 7.30 mins per mile but then i worked away at the weekend (three evenings on the drink) and i'm struggling again, surprise surprise. back down to about 8.30 mins per mile although it was post-work with a rucksack, largely uphill, and felt pretty easy.

another week or two of 4-5 milers and then i might try and kick on to 7-8 miles if i'm feeling ok. 4-5 miles feels relatively easy, don't have to really push myself at all other than getting beyond the lazyitis aspect. if that's the case should i be looking to up the actual time spent running rather than looking at the stopwatch?

Depends what you want to do: just get round or get round in a decent time. Your 7.30/mile pace suggests you've got a decent pair of legs and a decent base and should aim to be well under 2hours - and you've got loads of time to prepare.

Increasing your mileage without increasing your speed will certainly help you get round. However if you want to increase speed as well, then try to do just 1 or 2 long runs (between 7 and 11 miles) and do 1-2 interval/track/tempo runs which include doing shorter distances at different paces.

Download a training plan from one of the many websites - try Runners World for starters.

Depends what you want to do: just get round or get round in a decent time. Your 7.30/mile pace suggests you've got a decent pair of legs and a decent base and should aim to be well under 2hours - and you've got loads of time to prepare.

Increasing your mileage without increasing your speed will certainly help you get round. However if you want to increase speed as well, then try to do just 1 or 2 long runs (between 7 and 11 miles) and do 1-2 interval/track/tempo runs which include doing shorter distances at different paces.

Download a training plan from one of the many websites - try Runners World for starters.
cheers, appreciate the advice. i wouldn't broadcast it to people i know but i'm pretty keen to get under 2 hours. a few of my mates have done the GNR but never ducked under that time and i feel more than capable of it...as long as i put the work in. will have to download a training plan and maybe get looking at some track time in that case.

by the way - when you say just 1 or 2 long runs do you mean not even bother running a half marathon pre-GNR? i'd planned to maybe build up to running around that distance a month or 2 beforehand, mixed in with shorter/faster runs.

10 miles tonight in 1:08. Pretty happy with that and could have kept going for another few miles.

Feet are in bits though.

3 mile loop round the village in 33 mins this evening. It's bitterly cold and raining and when I got out into the fields, it was blowing in my face. Didn't enjoy it at the time, but feel amazing now I'm back home again :-D

Oh and a random man shouted "nice arse" out of a passing van :lol:

3 mile loop round the village in 33 mins this evening. It's bitterly cold and raining and when I got out into the fields, it was blowing in my face. Didn't enjoy it at the time, but feel amazing now I'm back home again :-D

Oh and a random man shouted "nice arse" out of a passing van :lol:

You always feel slightly better about a run if the weather's a bit shitty.

Congratulations on your arse btw!:lol:

I did 10 miles today in the right pace for my marathon goal, a massive change to last weeks 20 mile debacle. However, as I learnt from the debacle, running the first 10 miles of a marathon appears to be vastly different from running the last 10. Still, fingers crossed for 2 weeks on Sunday!:eek:

by the way - when you say just 1 or 2 long runs do you mean not even bother running a half marathon pre-GNR? i'd planned to maybe build up to running around that distance a month or 2 beforehand, mixed in with shorter/faster runs.

You don't have to do 13 miles, but do one long run every week of between 7 and 11 miles, and 2 shorter runs per week with some speeedwork. Then do some cycling/swimming/gym work in between to rest your legs a bit. Try and do at least two 11-milers before the big day, the final one about 3 weeks before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back