Running Thread 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

hudson88

Striker
Anybody got any big runs planned for the coming year? Thought this might be a good thread to offer folk any running advice or tips and such like, especially to help hopeless novices like myself....

Entering my first ever 10k in May, and still a million miles off the pace - can do about a mile comfortably (in 8mins26, so not too slow) but have no stamina and at most can last an extra mile before having to stop. Just a case of building it up with consistent running (aiming at about 3 a week).

Hoping to enter GNR too so need to sort that out pretty sharpish or else I'm bang in trouble....

Not long started running managed 3 miles (or there abouts) in 24 minutes, was blown out me arse, any tips for gradually getting longer distance?

Not long started running managed 3 miles (or there abouts) in 24 minutes, was blown out me arse, any tips for gradually getting longer distance?

Sounds like a similar problem to me, just you're faster and able to go for even longer........yer fit bastard ;)

Sounds like a similar problem to me, just you're faster and able to go for even longer........yer fit bastard ;)

not fit at all mate (wish a was) just on a mission to lose a bit weight, I've even went as far as buying a bike to ride to work, reckon its about a 14 mile all round trip, and still going to try get my run in on a dinner time.

Used to run a lot when I was in my late 20's up until about a couple of years ago (I'm 46) and starting out again this year.

Unfortunately I know from experience there are no short cuts. Will aim to do timed runs and gradually increase the time week by week. Will also aim to mix up training with the rowing machine and cycling.

My advice is to try to mix up your sessions by going for short, sharp runs and longer slower paced runs. Then move onto interval training sessions and fartleks to keep it from being boring.

It's hard work but worth it (if I remember rightly!!!)

I hope you've more dedication than me cos I'm a lazy git!!!

Wokingham Half Marathon in February
Reading Half Marathon April
Edinburgh Marathon May
Torbay 10k
Victory 10k (portsmouth)
The Great South Run

done the gateshead 10k last year which was my 1st run and the suffered a bursa injury in my heel not long after, im just getting over it and done 5 mile last week but this has bought the pain back for a few days, so no plans apart from GNR but tomorrows jog is 2miles max got to start slow and work this heel back to a good condition.

Anybody got any big runs planned for the coming year? Thought this might be a good thread to offer folk any running advice or tips and such like, especially to help hopeless novices like myself....

Entering my first ever 10k in May, and still a million miles off the pace - can do about a mile comfortably (in 8mins26, so not too slow) but have no stamina and at most can last an extra mile before having to stop. Just a case of building it up with consistent running (aiming at about 3 a week).

Hoping to enter GNR too so need to sort that out pretty sharpish or else I'm bang in trouble....

a mile in 8mins 26 is good going. However, to increase the mileage, try going slower. Try 9:30 pace to cover 2 miles. In theory, the extra 2 minutes on your feet is roughly just under 1/4 mile. IN training its about time on your feet rather than distance covered.

To put it into perspective as to where you are, I covered 6 miles last night at 8:09 pace.

London Marathon - April
Halstead and Essex Marathon - May

Should be out for a run now but full of cold and feel shite. Playing catch up already.

Entering the Leeds half marathon in may and then the GNR in September. Hardly ran since the last GNR so when I start my training on mon will be effectively starting again!

Did the GNR in 2hrs dead and that was with cramp for the last 3 miles so hoping to beat that this year!

Might aswell get in this thread since I run regularly for boxing. Going to apply for the GNR aswell but I'm not going to train directly for it, just keep running 3x a week for boxing and every now and again do a long run just to see where I'm at.

a mile in 8mins 26 is good going. However, to increase the mileage, try going slower. Try 9:30 pace to cover 2 miles. In theory, the extra 2 minutes on your feet is roughly just under 1/4 mile. IN training its about time on your feet rather than distance covered.

To put it into perspective as to where you are, I covered 6 miles last night at 8:09 pace.

Yeah, I need to try and pace more at the start of my run. Thing is, I never feel like I'm going particularly fast at the start, doesn't feel like there's scope to 'ease up', but I reckon I'm flattening myself out. Hoping when I go for my Saturday run next week, after a few more runs this week with a few other bits of exercise (Cross trainer, couple of games of footy) then I'll have improved a bit.

And cracking pace that, you're talking a 10k in less than 50 minutes. GOod stuff.

Yeah, I need to try and pace more at the start of my run. Thing is, I never feel like I'm going particularly fast at the start, doesn't feel like there's scope to 'ease up', but I reckon I'm flattening myself out. Hoping when I go for my Saturday run next week, after a few more runs this week with a few other bits of exercise (Cross trainer, couple of games of footy) then I'll have improved a bit.

And cracking pace that, you're talking a 10k in less than 50 minutes. GOod stuff.

Whey, a smidge slightly more than 50 minutes, but that neck of the woods. Still spot on

Just signed up for the leeds half marathon with Thewper, shitting it as im fecked after 6 miles...16 weeks to go!

christ, im sitting at 9.30`s for 5 mile. Need a stone off.

This thread has reminded me a need to get onto the RSPCA and see if they can blag me an entry into the GNR

Never done it before so any advice on threads like this will be helpful

Last edited:
Just signed up for the leeds half marathon with Thewper, shitting it as im fecked after 6 miles...16 weeks to go!

christ, im sitting at 9.30`s for 5 mile. Need a stone off.

Still not a horrendous pace, surely. I'd love to be at that pace come the 10k, big aim for me is to get it in under an hour (which from where I'm at now, and especially where I was a few months back, would be a big achievement even if it seems minor to many folk).

I started about this time last year and now I'm addicted, a twat in all the luminous running clobber!! Done it to lose weight, then got into a routine, then wanted to see if I could improve my times. So I started to run 10ks, just looked on the net for races near me http://www.northeastraces.com/

Ended up doing about 5 races, and my times got better and better!! Good when you get into it like, the hardest thing is to get started tho!! Then like anything, when u get into a routine it gets easier

I've never ran before outside of other sports and am overweight (by about 3 stones) but have in my infinite wisdom entered the Edinburgh half marathon in May!

Just started the C25K training regime and finished the first week which was fine, ramping it up a bit next week but I think it's week 3 where it really starts ramping up. Still feel I'm running easily within myself at the moment though, but in the past it's more that I get sore legs (particularly shins) than out of breath too much. Got running shoes fitted so hopefully this will help.

Aiming to lose all my excess weight so walking, cycling or swimming the 4 days I don't run each week. Today I went on a massive walk:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/33313583

Ended up doing 16 miles but went through 13 miles in about 2.5 hours so if all else fails I'll just walk the half marathon and still have 30 mins to spare :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back