Run commuters

Used to do the mile and a half to work a while ago but with getting the bairn to school before I go to work I can't really do it anymore.

Plus, it's bad enough around school run time in a car. Absolutely hate having to dodge buses and hope motorists have clocked me at junctions. I do like being out on the bike but I dont trust the traffic not to kill me.

Used to do the mile and a half to work a while ago but with getting the bairn to school before I go to work I can't really do it anymore.

Plus, it's bad enough around school run time in a car. Absolutely hate having to dodge buses and hope motorists have clocked me at junctions. I do like being out on the bike but I dont trust the traffic not to kill me.

Herein lies the problem. I bet there are lots of people who would like to walk/run/cycle but our utter obsession with cars makes it difficult and sometimes dangerous.

Did this myself for about 20 years and loved it. Once you sort the logistics out ie showers, lockers and work clothes it’s a fantastic way to kill lots of birds with one stone. Commuting is largely free, you won’t get stuck in traffic, you can eat like a horse and your fitness and mood improve significantly.

Average speeds in central London this year between 7am and 7pm were 7.7 mph. That’s a figure that’s achievable for lots of runners.

If you live within 5 or 6 miles of work it’s definitely an option imo.

Employers need to be made by law to provide secure bike storage, showering facilities and lockers imo.
:lol:

Herein lies the problem. I bet there are lots of people who would like to walk/run/cycle but our utter obsession with cars makes it difficult and sometimes dangerous.
I used to cycle to work - 10 miles and took the same time as my commute. But even with the London cycle lanes it was still quite hair raising. They’re not that well thought out and drivers just aren’t educated to look out for and take account of cyclists really.

If it was a nicer cycle I wouldn’t hesitate to do it. Great excerise.

Dinosaur :lol:

I used to cycle to work - 10 miles and took the same time as my commute. But even with the London cycle lanes it was still quite hair raising. They’re not that well thought out and drivers just aren’t educated to look out for and take account of cyclists really.

If it was a nicer cycle I wouldn’t hesitate to do it. Great excerise.

I do it from Chester le St into Sunderland occasionally via the C2C route which literally passes the bottom of my place of work in Pallion. Looking to cut my hours next year, sell the car and get an ebike for the journey. It’s a lovely route but 25 miles a day on top of a 10 hour shift is a bit too much every day for me.

Last edited:
;)Realist, not everyone works in an office you know, showers FFS!!!! :lol:

Obviously there are limitations but I don’t work in an office either. I work for the NHS and there’s no reason why they can’t be compelled to provide services which boost staff health and discourage on site parking. There could even be public units set up to be shared by small companies who can’t reasonably comply. There’s always a way Ted if the will is there....but it isn’t. Complain about congestion and pollution yet don’t provide solutions other than more taxes.

So where else would you have a problem with?

If we started with offices it would cut down a shit load of pollution in cities to start with.
Simply stating a fact, I worked in construction all my life, lots of jobs I worked in London, there'd be no toilet until it was possible to plumb one in, or we had a chemical one if we were lucky, or we waited until the nearest pub opened, I agree that all should have showers, unfortunately, lots of employers don't and don't give a fuck, hope this helps..;)

There’s always a way Ted
Yes there is , but it wont happen, it cost money and those responsible don't like spending it.

PS, you work for NHS, so you know this already, how long before the next round of cuts?

Last edited:
Simply stating a fact, I worked in construction all my life, lots of jobs I worked in London, there'd be no toilet until it was possible to plumb one in, or we had a chemical one if we were lucky, or we waited until the nearest pub opened, I agree that all should have showers, unfortunately, lots of employers don't and don't give a fuck, hope this helps..;)

Yes there is , but it wont happen, it cost money and those responsible don't like spending it.

PS, you work for NHS, so you know this already, how long before the next round of cuts?

Legislation can change it Ted. Surely the obesity crisis and the gridlock on the roads is reason enough to take action.

Obviously there are limitations but I don’t work in an office either. I work for the NHS and there’s no reason why they can’t be compelled to provide services which boost staff health and discourage on site parking. There could even be public units set up to be shared by small companies who can’t reasonably comply. There’s always a way Ted if the will is there....but it isn’t. Complain about congestion and pollution yet don’t provide solutions other than more taxes.

Always an excuse for people in this country who won’t give up the car for commuting. Some at my work pay £25 a week in parking and the same in fuel. The same people moan about costs and congestion.....madness.
No excuse these days, especially with E-bikes getting cheaper and better battery life.

Always an excuse for people in this country who won’t give up the car for commuting. Some at my work pay £25 a week in parking and the same in fuel. The same people moan about costs and congestion.....madness.
No excuse these days, especially with E-bikes getting cheaper and better battery life.

That’s my next bike. Got three others at the moment so will have to flog a couple first.

Disagree. People are just doing what's most convenient for them. Cycling can be terrifying as there's virtually no infrastructure for it across the country. People need to be given an alternative.

Disagree. People are just doing what's most convenient for them. Cycling can be terrifying as there's virtually no infrastructure for it across the country. People need to be given an alternative.

I meant if their was a decent enough alternative. In terms of cycle infrastructure anyway. The route into Newcastle from some areas isn’t that bad. I agree that in some areas it isn’t really an option....

Surely they'll look scruffy as owt? If I had the opportunity to do this I'd probs drop it all in on a Saturday
Depends what you wear. You can get things to keep your shirts uncrumpled.

As a lass I can be a bit more flexible than you lot like. I’d usually pack a jersey dress that doesn’t crease, but taking it all in on a Monday morning for the rest of the week, along with your towel would be one option.

Back