Run commuters

Used to do the mile and a half to work a while ago but with getting the bairn to school before I go to work I can't really do it anymore.

Plus, it's bad enough around school run time in a car. Absolutely hate having to dodge buses and hope motorists have clocked me at junctions. I do like being out on the bike but I dont trust the traffic not to kill me.

Thought for a second there you mentioned you could run mate.

Let’s face it you’re nee @Venkman

As an aside Google Maps says walking to work is 1hr 10 from where I live.

I can do a mile in circa 10 minutes, I smoke tabs, drink most weekends and for the most part I’m unfit.

Could I run to work in 40 possibly?

Genuine question? It’s mostly uphill...

Last edited:

I can do a mile in circa 10 minutes, I smoke tabs, drink most weekends and for the most part I’m unfit.

That will be about a 20/25 min cycle. One to consider?

It will be ok for alternate days of run-rest but for most people it will knack their joints if they ran 10 miles total on concrete for 5 days a week.

Don’t think it does Stevie. I used to run around 30 miles a week, cycle around 150, swim about 8 and go to the gym three times...for years. My colleague at work is two years younger, did none of that and has had both knees replaced.

Start by jogging and walking mate. That way you don’t sicken yourself or get injured. Sounds as if your journey is about 4 miles. Make sure you get decent running shoes.

Last edited:
Don’t think it does Stevie. I used to run around 30 miles a week, cycle around 150, swim about 8 and go to the gym three times...for years. My colleague at work is two years younger, did none of that and has had both knees replaced.
50% chance then ;)

Cycling and swimming are low impact though fair play if you swam to work.

It’s still way too much for most people imho.

Ive ran home from work before (4.5 miles) at 11 o clock at night in the middle of summer when it was red hot and it felt great. I couldn't do it now though cos they've taken the lamp posts down along a mile stretch. This also happens to be my usual running route (which I also can't do on the dark nights)

Legislation can change it Ted. Surely the obesity crisis and the gridlock on the roads is reason enough to take action.
Of course it can, but it wont, that's all I'm saying and running to works fine when you're young, but what are you going to do when you're 60, most are going to be retiring when they're around 70 soon, so running's not really an option, when I look out my front window, I look down on the A19, there's thousands of cars going past each morning, most southbound are going to Doxford park and I imagine northbound , Newcastle, now that's a canny hike to either run, or cycle and when the weathers bad, it's a nightmare going across that South Hylton bridge, I know because I done it for 6 months, when all is said and done, people usually live their lives the way they do because they're force to do so, not through choice.

Of course it can, but it wont, that's all I'm saying and running to works fine when you're young, but what are you going to do when you're 60, most are going to be retiring when they're around 70 soon, so running's not really an option, when I look out my front window, I look down on the A19, there's thousands of cars going past each morning, most southbound are going to Doxford park and I imagine northbound , Newcastle, now that's a canny hike to either run, or cycle and when the weathers bad, it's a nightmare going across that South Hylton bridge, I know because I done it for 6 months, when all is said and done, people usually live their lives the way they do because they're force to do so, not through choice.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying Ted, you’ll only ever get a proportion willing to do it but even that would help. You do need to put the infrastructure in place first though, and let’s be honest it’s not expensive. The entire national cycling budget for theee years is less than half what is being spent on refurbishing ONE tube station. Much like the government pay lip service to democracy with Brexit they pay lip service to tackling health issues caused by motor vehicles. Taxing increases government take whereas providing infrastructure costs money.

By the way I’m 62 and still cycle and run.

I used to run 5 miles to the gym to use their showers then walk the last mile to work and I loved it

Now I drive 9 miles to work as I need the car for work

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying Ted, you’ll only ever get a proportion willing to do it but even that would help. You do need to put the infrastructure in place first though, and let’s be honest it’s not expensive. The entire national cycling budget fG
or theee years is less than half what is being spent on refurbishing ONE tube station. Much like the government pay lip service to democracy with Brexit they pay lip service to tackling health issues caused by motor vehicles. Taxing increases government take whereas providing infrastructure costs money.

By the way I’m 62 and still cycle and run.
Good for you mate, where do you live?

How do people who do this get their work clothes there? Cant be in a bag on their back surely?

Mrs. R used paniers. Worked fine. She even carried heavy shopping home that shed bought in town on her lunch break. Well, lets say it worked well for most of the time. She hadn't fixed her panier on properly one night, and it bumped off on a cycle path. She hadn't noticed it come off, and lost purse, CC's wedding ring, house keys and handily for anyone finding it, letters with our home adress. I had to change all the locks at home.

:lol::lol:

Funnily enough it’s been a recurring dream of mine for years. I come out of the house and there’s canals where the roads should be and I swim everywhere :lol:

If you are going from CLS to Pallion then kayak/rowing boat is a good option! Need to start after the weir at CLS park mind

Mrs. R used paniers. Worked fine. She even carried heavy shopping home that shed bought in town on her lunch break. Well, lets say it worked well for most of the time. She hadn't fixed her panier on properly one night, and it bumped off on a cycle path. She hadn't noticed it come off, and lost purse, CC's wedding ring, house keys and handily for anyone finding it, letters with our home adress. I had to change all the locks at home.
:lol:

Good for you mate, where do you live?

Moved earlier this year to Sacriston which is a 25 mile round trip to work. Looking to transfer to local base early next year as 25 mile round trip bookending a 10 hour shift isn’t viable every day. First car I’ve had for 15 years though and I really dislike driving in when I do.

Back