Run commuters

Lord Alfred

Striker
Did this myself for about 20 years and loved it. Once you sort the logistics out ie showers, lockers and work clothes it’s a fantastic way to kill lots of birds with one stone. Commuting is largely free, you won’t get stuck in traffic, you can eat like a horse and your fitness and mood improve significantly.

Average speeds in central London this year between 7am and 7pm were 7.7 mph. That’s a figure that’s achievable for lots of runners.

If you live within 5 or 6 miles of work it’s definitely an option imo.

Employers need to be made by law to provide secure bike storage, showering facilities and lockers imo.

Did this myself for about 20 years and loved it. Once you sort the logistics out ie showers, lockers and work clothes it’s a fantastic way to kill lots of birds with one stone. Commuting is largely free, you won’t get stuck in traffic, you can eat like a horse and your fitness and mood improve significantly.

Average speeds in central London this year between 7am and 7pm were 7.7 mph. That’s a figure that’s achievable for lots of runners.

Employers need to be made by law to provide secure bike storage, showering facilities and lockers imo.

It’s a great idea. If I lived about 25km closer to work I would do it. I try and cycle in as much as I can, 65km round trip. I’ve applied for a job a lot closer to home which means I’ll definitely be able to start running - 14km in total. I’m lucky that my employer supplies lockers, bike storage, showers and a gym at most locations.

As you say very good for well being as well knowing your fitness is up....win win( hate that saying!)

It’s a great idea. If I lived about 25km closer to work I would do it. I try and cycle in as much as I can, 65km round trip. I’ve applied for a job a lot closer to home which means I’ll definitely be able to start running - 14km in total. I’m lucky that my employer supplies lockers, bike storage, showers and a gym at most locations.
Thats one good employer marra

Great effort that, mind.

I cycle in everyday, and just the feeling of whizzing past the traffic jams makes it worth it. Showers at work are a massive help, but can't go wrong with a packet of wet wipes just in case.

Even in winter it’s class.

Bus takes almost an hour for the exact same journey.

Buses are subject to the same problems facing motorists. From Chester le St to Sunderland takes 65 minutes on a bus. I can cycle it in half that time and run it in about that time....even at 62 years of age. It’s no wonder people use cars. The whole system can be changed with the will to do so and investment. The Tyne and Wear Metro should be extensively extended and money spent on safe and comprehensive cycle routes.

I used to find running at lunchtime more convenient and was a canny way to break up the day. Working opposite Hyde Park was convenient.

I ran home a few times from Bayswater to Clapton which was about 9 miles. Surprisingly quick despite all the people and traffic.

There’s the future then....autonomous electric public transport and dedicated cycle and running networks. Sounds like heaven. Never happen though as it’s all about GDP as s measure of society’s well-being even if it means interminable delays and breathing in fumes which make you ill and diseased.

A car gives you the freedom to go anywhere before and after work and carry just about most things you'd need to carry in relative security, including passengers.

Being on the bus, bike or running doesn't allow this and the last two leave you open to the elements, no ta ;)

A car gives you the freedom to go anywhere before and after work and carry just about most things you'd need to carry in relative security, including passengers.

Being on the bus, bike or running doesn't allow this and the last two leave you open to the elements, no ta ;)

The bicycle can do all that and it costs nothing. Open to the elements is part of the charm, it's an absolute joy to be out in the open imo.

The bicycle can do all that and it costs nothing. Open to the elements is part of the charm, it's an absolute joy to be out in the open imo.
Can it shite do all what a car does :lol:

Yes just simply going to and from work day after day with little to carry then yes it does offer what a car does, getting you to work and back but that's about it. I won't even bother suggesting the numerous scenarios a bike wouldn't be an option.

It does also offer you the option to be at the mercy of the knobs on the roads who can't drive sensibly but offers far less protection.

Can it shite do all what a car does :lol:

Yes just simply going to and from work day after day with little to carry then yes it does offer what a car does, getting you to work and back but that's about it. I won't even bother suggesting the numerous scenarios a bike wouldn't be an option.

It does also offer you the option to be at the mercy of the knobs on the roads who can't drive sensibly but offers far less protection.

I moved flat with a cargo bike, and in Friday I had myself and my bike (flat tyre) carried home via a bike. Bikes are extremely versatile.

There's nothing you can do about bad drivers, it's still a safe way of getting around, despite that.

I’ve agreed with far too many of your posts today. I’m not comfortable with this new order.

Back