Rumour time.........already

4 or 5 clubs played Overseas on wrong visas and South Shields have requested for the league to take action. Aparently an independent panel is looking to see if any action should be taken against the offending clubs.

It could result in Sheilds and Mainsforth not being relegated should points deductions occur

Can you expand on this??

Only heard via others that it's to do with South Shields fielding an ineligible player and others being guilty of the same offense. I heard Chester came clean as soon as they realised and there's a possibility that all teams will have points deducted where ineligible players were playing. If this were the case then I'm lead to believe that Newcastle and Chester would finish 3rd and and 2nd bottom respectively with Stockton taking the drop and Shields in effect surviving.

I'm sure this has legs though but will have to be settled sooner rather than later. Should be a canny meeting the next one that's for sure.

Only heard via others that it's to do with South Shields fielding an ineligible player and others being guilty of the same offense. I heard Chester came clean as soon as they realised and there's a possibility that all teams will have points deducted where ineligible players were playing. If this were the case then I'm lead to believe that Newcastle and Chester would finish 3rd and and 2nd bottom respectively with Stockton taking the drop and Shields in effect surviving.

I'm sure this has legs though but will have to be settled sooner rather than later. Should be a canny meeting the next one that's for sure.

If someone has played an ineligible player then fair enough, they should be punished IMO. Rules are there for all to see and ignorance shouldn't be an excuse. I just hope it genuinely is independent to ensure the so called "big clubs" don't get this swept under the carpet.

My club in Yorkshire had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. When we found out we went to the League. We were 3rd (?) in the top Division. We lost all points we gained when we played the overseas and were relegated. Other clubs had done the same and were penalised the same. We accepted the punishment but we were promoted back the following year.

If someone has played an ineligible player then fair enough, they should be punished IMO. Rules are there for all to see and ignorance shouldn't be an excuse. I just hope it genuinely is independent to ensure the so called "big clubs" don't get this swept under the carpet.

Nar, ignorance of the rules is no excuse but it does seem that a few clubs have genuinely been caught out by them. Not as straight forward as it used to be and raises the question as to whether it's worth bothering with anymore. Ironic that Shields have been caught out and could now escape relegation by doing so.

Shame it's gotten like that as an overseas pro is good for the game imo and gives clubs a boost while allowing local lads to compete against more good quality cricketers. Also helps keep the standards up, although I realise we don't get the quality of overseas as we used to in years gone by like world number 1 batsman Jimmy Adams turning out for Eppleton. Fecking bonkers to think that was just normal back then.

My club in Yorkshire had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. When we found out we went to the League. We were 3rd (?) in the top Division. We lost all points we gained when we played the overseas and were relegated. Other clubs had done the same and were penalised the same. We accepted the punishment but we were promoted back the following year.

Sounds like that's exactly what could happen up here.

Bouncing straight back means no real damage done but if you weren't to do that then suddenly you could find yourself in unchartered/unplanned territory due what really is an admin oversight probably due to a lack of knowledge.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's right that teams who break the rules have to accept that it won't go unpunished as other clubs could be at a disadvantage and may not have gone down the overseas route because of the amount of red tape we now see.

On the back of that, there's a good chance that if Stockton do go then they may not bounce straight back given the amount of money flying around at present in Prem2.

Last edited:
Washington could get relegated to Durham League if they deduct points and award the games against their opponents

Needs sorting asap as it's unfair on all involved. Personally should leave things as they are a lesson learnt but I can understand why clubs fell hard done by

Unless clubs have made an error knowingly they should be left alone. Ultimately, how much have they gained from playing who are not much better than good local players. The overseas eligibility is ridiculous when you consider the top pros we had over here years ago.

In my league we are not allowed 1st class cricketers unless they have not played it for 5 years. The principle behind overseas players is for the youngsters to take advantage of it.

To have an overseas name at your club can only be a good thing. Someone to look up to and learn from. I remember Desmond Collymore at Hetton Lyons years ago. A great bloke and an inspiration. Relax the laws and allow anyone to sign. Restrict them to batting no higher than 4 and limit their overs if that's the general consensus to stop them dominating games.

Washington could get relegated to Durham League if they deduct points and award the games against their opponents

Needs sorting asap as it's unfair on all involved. Personally should leave things as they are a lesson learnt but I can understand why clubs fell hard done by
Which players are they concerned about?

Apparently now that they have learned they will not be relegated whatever happens from NEPL Premier League Newcastle are set to stick two fingers up to the league and the Home Office by bringing in another Aussie for next season,. Same one who was there a couple of years ago called Stobbo who plays for NSW. Interesting to see which visa they get (away with) him on for 2018.

The process is still ongoing, last I'd read was that a 4/5 man panel (including Marcus North, a few committee members from various clubs and an ECB representative) had been put together to rule on it. The language of the e-mail did suggest that any punishments for the 4 clubs would be applied next season like

The NEPL has recently set up a Panel to investigate potential breaches of NEPL rules regarding the registration and playing of overseas players by four Clubs during the 2017 season and to make recommendations on any sanctions that should apply. The NEPL has liaised closely with the ECB on this issue and it is hoped that the Panel will report soon.

The only overseas pro's who willbe coming over here now is the dual passport holders otherwise clubs will have a world of pain trying to sort them out and attempting to adhere to the UKBA/Home Office visa requirements.

Back