Rumour time.........already

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are. Great signing from a batting perspective, adds to an already useful batting lineup - real potential of chasing down any score.

The weakness still lies in the bowling though, taking ten wickets will be the biggest task.
Seen that Ashraf was looking for a new club too which won't help that. Had heard a rumour about Brandon trying to sign Jim Allenby following his release by Somerset, but took that one with a pinch of salt.

Wouldn't underestimate Karl's bowling for Brandon - he can still get it through if he wants to! Not that he will take 10 wickets himself every week but certainly useful.

Has JDT left Newcastle? Will be poor if losing their best players; if he leaves, Aussie is gone and Tindale moves onwards and upwards.

I heard he had, but can't recall where he's gone.

Karl is a very useful bowler definitely, but he's not the kind to take 60 wickets a season.

Seen that Ashraf was looking for a new club too which won't help that. Had heard a rumour about Brandon trying to sign Jim Allenby following his release by Somerset, but took that one with a pinch of salt.

There'll have been contact I would think with Jim, but it'll be dependent on where Jim ends up. I would still suggest he has much to offer a First Class county and that will be his first priority.

I heard he had, but can't recall where he's gone.

There'll have been contact I would think with Jim, but it'll be dependent on where Jim ends up. I would still suggest he has much to offer a First Class county and that will be his first priority.

Is it not Barney Castle for JDT?

Must have a canny money pit at your place mind Brandon? Muchy and Turner will not be cheap on top of whoever else.

Newcastle losing a few. I have heard the whole ineligible overseas thing hasn't quite gone away yet and a points deduction is still possible.

Muchall and Turner will be the best part of 20k. If they've retained players from last year (minus Ashraf), their spending will be up there with the most in North East cricket.

Muchall and Turner will be the best part of 20k. If they've retained players from last year (minus Ashraf), their spending will be up there with the most in North East cricket.

What did they put up, telecom tower. That's a lot of money that mind. Knew what Muchy was on and Turner not gonna be much less I suppose.

I take it there's a backer still at Brandon then? The bar doesn't do well enough to warrant that kind of spend surely? Saying that, it is well situated with a decent catchment area.

I heard a certain landscaping company are bankrolling to the tune fo £45-50k

What did they put up, telecom tower. That's a lot of money that mind. Knew what Muchy was on and Turner not gonna be much less I suppose.

I take it there's a backer still at Brandon then? The bar doesn't do well enough to warrant that kind of spend surely? Saying that, it is well situated with a decent catchment area.

Was on the committee for years couldn't even pay for a pro for a couple of years not that long back !

Top bloke is very forward thinking they have some big things on over the year have a lot of good friends up there good luck to them

I heard a certain landscaping company are bankrolling to the tune fo £45-50k

Know who you mean but not sure they would be putting anywhere near that in

Last edited:
Was on the committee for years couldn't even pay for a pro for a couple of years not that long back !

Top bloke is very forward thinking they have some big things on over the year have a lot of good friends up there good luck to them

Know who you mean but not sure they would be putting anywhere near that in

Sounds like they are really going for it. I hope they are putting work into the whole club though and not just the 1st team. Yes, the 1st team is the pinnacle of a club, but without a decent junior section, and plenty adult numbers to help with playing and volunteering, things can quickly go wrong if the cash dries up for any reason.

Sounds like they are really going for it. I hope they are putting work into the whole club though and not just the 1st team. Yes, the 1st team is the pinnacle of a club, but without a decent junior section, and plenty adult numbers to help with playing and volunteering, things can quickly go wrong if the cash dries up for any reason.

Think seconds won the league @brandon opened the batting when he could be arsed ;)

Most seconds are lads that have been there a while and lads my lad played with good set of lads always follow them. We had some good years spoilt by one individual but have moved on to another top notch club now

Potentially a very competitive NEPL1 next year. No doubt Burnopfield and Burnmoor will be strong again, and Brandon and Sunderland throwing a few quid at things. Guessing Shields will be ok and Boldon/Washington are never far off the top end.

Potentially a very competitive NEPL1 next year. No doubt Burnopfield and Burnmoor will be strong again, and Brandon and Sunderland throwing a few quid at things. Guessing Shields will be ok and Boldon/Washington are never far off the top end.
Betts signed for Burnopfield as coach for next year according to their twitter. Not sure if they are shelling out for anyone else. Depends on their funder paying up i guess

Betts signed for Burnopfield as coach for next year according to their twitter. Not sure if they are shelling out for anyone else. Depends on their funder paying up i guess

Melvyn is only there as coach though, as far as I know he has re-signed for Sacriston as a player.

Reactions: WCC
Melvyn is only there as coach though, as far as I know he has re-signed for Sacriston as a player.
Aye i have just read it again having only read the first bit. They must be paying out some dosh for their coaching staff.
Breese, Kileen, Thorp & now Betts.

Def next candidates for director of cricket

@brandon is the man on the inside for this

Understand they got quite a bit dosh for a phone mast they had put up and to be fair they are forward thinking in many aspects

I'm not sure I'm much more clued up than anyone else really.

What I do know though is that they've just hosted a rock festival (of sorts) which they are looking to establish as an annual event - they're also advertising now for their upcoming annual fireworks event which has been going for a few years now and seeing how Durham Police stopped their big show up at Aykley Heads I believe Brandon's is the biggest show around so they do very well out of it in terms of attendance and beer money if nothing else.

I've no idea how much revenue that will bring in yearly, but what I would expect is that they'll have got Karl's services for a little cheaper than what another club would've had to pay - he lives in Brandon for a start so the mileage isn't as much as it would've been at Barnard Castle.

All told, these are just my assumptions based on the local knowledge I have. None of it is well informed insider information :lol:.

In terms of finances and the business model, as TVOR mentioned, the top man is very forward thinking and his pride and joy is the ground. Lots of work has gone on over the summer (and continues to go on) as the club are looking to grow. The Boxing Club when it's finished will be great, the view is also for the cricket ground to host more DCCC fixtures and long term the club do see themselves having to be in the Premier League.

However, I don't believe they'll be putting themselves in too much trouble financially, as alluded to, they didn't have a pot to piss in only a decade or so ago and they've built the club up from the verge of insolvency in that time - I doubt that the same ruinous gambling will be taking place and so I would hope that any money being spent is within their means and accounted for.

Again, I'm assuming here, I could be miles off :oops:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back