Rugby WC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the Ireland team at my hotel in Dublin today all their kit was being packed into a white transit to come over in ferry - I assume to avoid the baggage charges of RyanAir

Some of the more parochial bells on here may find it odd but I reckon it's class being able to have a drink in the stands with supporters of the team you're playing against. Going to the Rugby is really good fun and it's an altogether better sport than football.
Spot on! I wasn't sure how it would really feel to stand side by side with my arch rivals fans until I went to Gloucester away last season, it was class, a few beers, some banter and our biggest away win against them in years. I took my 4 year old to his first match on Sunday, also against Gloucester and he had a great time, but I wouldn't even consider taking him to a north east derby yet.

Can't wait for the RWC to get underway on Friday.

I would argue that there's all kinds of aspects of forward play that require skill as well. I imagine Herbal would get the shock of his life if he found himself on the receiving end of a well-executed choke tackle or got rucked or driving mauled into oblivion

Haha I have no doubt that things would be very different at any higher level. I packed in rugby to play American football and I was knocking grow men on their arse when I was 15, but I never fancied the rough and tumble of rucks and scrums. I think I saw people treading on their own players to drive forward once and thought, nah that's not for me.

I did the same in fitba you Norbert.
Ah but how much are you putting yourself down here? I once organised a 5 a side team at uni and I witnessed two of the kids who turned up swing at and miss at a stationary ball at their feet. I was like "sorry lads". Coming from a world where pretty much every kid could play footy to some degree, I'd never seen such ineptitude.

Last edited:
Haha I have no doubt that things would be very different at any higher level. I packed in rugby to play American football and I was knocking grow men on their arse when I was 15, but I never fancied the rough and tumble of rucks and scrums. I think I saw people treading on their own players to drive forward once and thought, nah that's not for me.

Ah but how much are you putting yourself down here? I once organised a 5 a side team at uni and I witnessed two of the kids who turned up swing at and miss at a stationary ball at their feet. I was like "sorry lads". Coming from a world where pretty much every kid could play footy to some degree, I'd never seen such ineptitude.
I don't understand the question Dave

Weren't you a bairn, so everyone was at different levels of development?
Aye, but that doesn't alter the fact that you could win a game simply by giving the ball to the biggest person and letting him run with it, Forrest Gump style. You could have no footy skills at the same age but it wouldn't win you a game.

Aye, but that doesn't alter the fact that you could win a game simply by giving the ball to the biggest person and letting him run with it, Forrest Gump style. You could have no footy skills at the same age but it wouldn't win you a game.
That's horsehite that mind. I'm 5' 10", play outside centre or full back.

If a big fucker runs at me there's a very good chance he's going nowhere.

How can he run when I've wrapped his legs up? Granted not always successful but even the old tap tackle slows the big cumbersome second row up.

Bollocks man. Some Russell Foster youth sides at U-14/15 sort of age had the sole tactic of a big lad up front and a big lad at the back who could hoof it forward. It's well acknowledged that's part of the reason young English players are shite :lol:

If your sole skill as a 14 year old Rugby player is running over people because you developed faster you soon get found out aged around 16-18 when the others catch up... and they've developed skills you didn't bother learning.

Rugby is a game for men who are too big and clumsy to master the finer art of association football.

:lol:

Tell that to @monkeytassle

Some of the more parochial bells on here may find it odd but I reckon it's class being able to have a drink in the stands with supporters of the team you're playing against. Going to the Rugby is really good fun and it's an altogether better sport than football.

Better sport than football? I think you are on the wrong site.

Better sport than football? I think you are on the wrong site.

Why? I love football and I support SAFC. I happen to prefer Rugby. Football and Cricket are about on par behind it.

Since when did liking one thing better than another mean you don't like 'the other'.

I like cheese and onion crisps more than salt and vinegar but I still post regularly on the salt and vinegar crisp forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back