Rugby WC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tickets to new Zealand tonga but I've double booked myself so still unsure if I will just sell them

This is the most boring thing i find about Rugby, whenever the merits of Rugby get discussed, without fail someone always trots out the "you can have a drink in the stands line". Who gives a shit, you can have strawberrys and cream in the stands at Wimbledon but is that really the reason to go?

I imagine Wimbledon is a canny day out actually. It's hardly a reason not to go. It's a daft comparison though because it isn't really a team sport and the players tour, they don't visit each other's home stadiums.

If you can actually come up with a comparison that fits I may pay more attention.

But at the end of the day it's a game of very little skill. I got to town trials level by simply being big and fast with the ball in my hands. I couldn't really pass (never felt the need really, as I could run over/through most people at that level) and I didn't really know the rules. I was doing well at the trials but I dropped a couple of passes in the wet and my fledgling career was over.
By way of contrast, can you imagine someone playing for the school footy team (and trying out for the town) who couldn't really kick and didn't know the rules?

That's utter horseshit.

And you've effectively rubbished your own argument by saying you went to some trials but didn't get selected through lacking one of the most basic skills in the game :lol:

Fat lad rugby isn't but as a back I'd say some of the attacking moves ran in the back line require stupid amounts of skill.

As a penalty taker as well, kicking a rugby ball requires a hell of a lot more skill than a football.

Scrummaging requires a hell of a lot of skill. If it was about brute strength then Andrew Sheridan would have butchered every prop he faced. As it was, he didn't, because he came up against far more skillfull players (Julian White springs to mind).

Stealing and protecting the ball in a ruck requires skill, knowing when to time your entry, body position etc'. Cheating effectively a la Richie McCaw requires a lot of skill. Mauling requires skill. Lineout calling and jumping is a skill.

And then you move on to the backs. Top level players need to pass equally as well off both hands. But football is a more 'skilled game' when loads of pros have no shot with their weaker foot :lol:

Last edited:
But at the end of the day it's a game of very little skill. I got to town trials level by simply being big and fast with the ball in my hands. I couldn't really pass (never felt the need really, as I could run over/through most people at that level) and I didn't really know the rules. I was doing well at the trials but I dropped a couple of passes in the wet and my fledgling career was over.
By way of contrast, can you imagine someone playing for the school footy team (and trying out for the town) who couldn't really kick and didn't know the rules?
Precisely what happened to me and footy. Two left feet but could run all day and tackle anything.

I would try to be interested but I hate how the players constantly refer to each other as the 'guys'.

However I would prefer my kids to play (non contact) rugby rather than junior football as it seems that the rugger parents are a jolly good bunch and the kids are taught manners whilst trying to bash each other.

I would try to be interested but I hate how the players constantly refer to each other as the 'guys'.

However I would prefer my kids to play (non contact) rugby rather than junior football as it seems that the rugger parents are a jolly good bunch and the kids are taught manners whilst trying to bash each other.
Your child will also learn how to drink a pint of top shelf through a gusset. Handy life skill.

Personally I've never been to a rugby game, but as the WC is on my doorstep do I spend £100 on tickets?

Has anyone else got tickets?

for anyone who's taken interest in the event, whats the easiest way to get tickets, if its even possible at this late stage
Get yourself down the Prince of Wales and watch it on the TV with us ...... then again we may be in the Prince Albert by the Green .... or the Rifleman ....:lol:

Not a very good comparison. The basis of rugby is to pick up the ball and carry it a distance avoiding being tackled. The same comparison would be a footballer who could dribble his way a long way down the pitch through defenders, but being crap at passing, taking deadball kicks, unable to do a legal throw in and won't head the ball ...... seems to me if you look at the Premier/Championship/Leagues 1 & 2 then there's plenty who have actually made a career / living out of doing just that .... in fact there's some who've done it and played for us without even having the attribute of being able to dribble the ball .....

Fat lad rugby isn't but as a back I'd say some of the attacking moves ran in the back line require stupid amounts of skill.

As a penalty taker as well, kicking a rugby ball requires a hell of a lot more skill than a football.

I would argue that there's all kinds of aspects of forward play that require skill as well. I imagine Herbal would get the shock of his life if he found himself on the receiving end of a well-executed choke tackle or got rucked or driving mauled into oblivion

No you got picked as the bitch in the scrum.

I would argue that there's all kinds of aspects of forward play that require skill as well. I imagine Herbal would get the shock of his life if he found himself on the receiving end of a well-executed choke tackle or got rucked or driving mauled into oblivion
Forwards just bore the opposition in to surrender man. :lol:

As a still (just) participating member of the backs union. I'm not giving those big angry fuckers any leeway on this

:lol:

Twice you've mentioned that. Has this happened to you?
I reckon he's been passed around the clubhouse like a box of quality street ;)

Exactly this. I coach an under 9's football team and help out coaching rugby, some football kids parents are plain embarrassing. The rugby parents on the other hand see it for what it is - good fun! Non contact stops at under 8 in England...not sure how old your kids are.

I played centre though. I didn't need skills cos almost nee fucka could tackle me at that level. Obvs at higher levels skills come to the fore. I'm just pointing out you can play a decent game without having any skills to speak of. Which to my mind makes it vastly inferior to fitba.

I played centre though. I didn't need skills cos almost nee fucka could tackle me at that level. Obvs at higher levels skills come to the fore. I'm just pointing out you can play a decent game without having any skills to speak of. Which to my mind makes it vastly inferior to fitba.
I did the same in fitba you Norbert.

I play outside centre and fullback and skill levels are high tbh

Weren't you a bairn, so everyone was at different levels of development?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back