Round 5 - Motion - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SMB Photography Competition Round 5 - Motion - Discussion Thread

Although this months theme is an absolute corker and the entires so far have been top notch, it isn't half showing up my frigging shortcomings!!

I've had some canny ideas this month and have been out now about 5 times and I'm not happy that happy with any of my efforst so far.

I've popped some of them on to Flikr but will keep bashing away at the weekend in hope that I get something right :oops:

Some nice stuff there marra (this is my fave), though I agree that the theme is quite technically challenging.

Shooting moving objects is very tricky. The one piece of advice I'd give you is to set your focusing to AF-C (you're currently using AF-A).

Do you know when you half-press your shutter button and the camera focuses? Well setting it to AF-C means that your camera is constantly refocusing on the moving subject as your track it, providing you have the shutter button half pressed.

AF-C = Auto Focus - Continuous. AF-A = Auto Focus - Auotmatic. In other words, AF-A means your camera is guessing what you are trying to shoot. AF-C is tailor-made for shooting moving objects.

Clear as mud, eh? :-D

There's a good guide here to tell you how it works on a D5000.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000/af-settings.htm

SuperKev, some nice ones there, keep at it ;).

cheers Janie - I'm going to keep having a bash around the same themes to see if I can get a one to put in the compo.

Some nice stuff there marra (this is my fave), though I agree that the theme is quite technically challenging.

Shooting moving objects is very tricky. The one piece of advice I'd give you is to set your focusing to AF-C (you're currently using AF-A).

Do you know when you half-press your shutter button and the camera focuses? Well setting it to AF-C means that your camera is constantly refocusing on the moving subject as your track it, providing you have the shutter button half pressed.

AF-C = Auto Focus - Continuous. AF-A = Auto Focus - Auotmatic. In other words, AF-A means your camera is guessing what you are trying to shoot. AF-C is tailor-made for shooting moving objects.

Clear as mud, eh? :-D

There's a good guide here to tell you how it works on a D5000.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000/af-settings.htm

cheers mate and will try that setting at the weekend - the link is canny as well

cheers mate and will try that setting at the weekend - the link is canny as well

I didn't realise the D5000 has an 11 point focus system. That's really impressive, my D40 only has 3.

I didn't realise the D5000 has an 11 point focus system. That's really impressive, my D40 only has 3.

It came in very handy for last months compo when I was trying to get penshaw monument more in focus when shooting from the viaduct (seeing as that some inconsiderate engineer/architect had the line going away from the hill instead of [in my vision] straight towards it.

It came in very handy for last months compo when I was trying to get penshaw monument more in focus when shooting from the viaduct (seeing as that some inconsiderate engineer/architect had the line going away from the hill instead of [in my vision] straight towards it.

What a bastard's trick

Cracking entry EH7

I reckon you could make a case for voting for pretty much every photo in this month's competition. Class stuff.

I think if that had been peachbum's frilly knickers this competition would have been over

Lose the border and it gets my vote anyway :)

Well that's me back online at last. Been some great pics posted over the months. Nipped into Edinburgh the day to grab some shots for 'motion' but they turned out crap, but the journey home sprung up an idea. ;)

Had a look on the photography board after Cartman mentioned it on another thread, bloody hell there's some cracking photographers on here!

Im well impressed and a bit gobsmacked tbh!

Had a look on the photography board after Cartman mentioned it on another thread, bloody hell there's some cracking photographers on here!

get snapping mate

get snapping miss matie :oops:

Bollocks. Missed the deadline! I had nothing to match any of the shots this month anyway. Excellent stuff everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back