Round 5 - Motion - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: SMB Photography Competition Round 5 - Motion - Discussion Thread

I second that motion

No bowels though but

Should be a lot of variety with this theme, good choice.

Excellent choice and possibly very technically challenging.

Again room for plenty of ideas.

Freeze the action or show the blur......and a whole range of possibilities in between.

The May Day bank holiday is when hordes of morris dancers and bikers descend on my sleepy south coast town. Hopefully I'll find something inspiring from the country dancing/bikefest mayhem :)

Well I've got an idea that I would like to enter but it depends entirely on a set of circumstances occuring together which is outside my control so may have to wait and see till nearer the end of the month.

In the meanwhile I will have to think of some alternatives so this could be the most active month for me thus far in the competition and so no early entry from me this time.

Whether I get any more votes as a result of that is debateable though. :lol:

Re: Voting - Obsolete

Well you can freeze the action or introduce blur.

I might point my camera at the ground and photograph the Earth rotating. :lol:

For those of us, like me, who haven't figured out how to set exposure times on our diddy cameras, this month is even more of a challenge. Still, that's the joy of it.

Well you can freeze the action or introduce blur.

I might point my camera at the ground and photograph the Earth rotating. :lol:

:lol:

I was thinking about it last night - the obvious thing to do would be to have a picture of something moving, or light trails or whatever. I don't think it should (or will) be limited to that though, I'm sure we'll have all kinds of interpretations again.

For those of us, like me, who haven't figured out how to set exposure times on our diddy cameras, this month is even more of a challenge. Still, that's the joy of it.
Exactly what I was thinking. I was thinking of going back to my old film SLR but even then I haven't got a scanner to get the film photo onto the pc. I haven't got a clue whether my digital point and shoot can have its exposure changed or whether it is purely automatic. Oh well, I had better get the instruction manual out or take Mercia's suggestions up. What about a picture of someone suffering from motion sickness?

Exactly what I was thinking. I was thinking of going back to my old film SLR but even then I haven't got a scanner to get the film photo onto the pc. I haven't got a clue whether my digital point and shoot can have its exposure changed or whether it is purely automatic. Oh well, I had better get the instruction manual out or take Mercia's suggestions up. What about a picture of someone suffering from motion sickness?

An option might be to use your film camera, then pay for the film to be developed and scanned in. Think it's around a tenner to get the film developed and get a CD of the images, roughly the same price as getting the prints.

An option might be to use your film camera, then pay for the film to be developed and scanned in. Think it's around a tenner to get the film developed and get a CD of the images, roughly the same price as getting the prints.
Oh, OK, thanks. Hadn't thought about that, cheers.

Thinking about using a film camera this month too, just for the practice if nowt else.
I've been taking around fifty pictures each month :oops: , one of the advantages of digital! I doubt I'm good enough to get a picture that I like on the film camera trying a new technique without seeing my efforts immediately. Maybe I'll try both and see what is best. Either way it will be a challenge. Learn how the digital does or doesn't work, or try some new technique on a camera that lets me do anything but without letting me see my efforts. Fun to be had. :)

Was thinking the same and using my Canon A1 where I would use manual settings but you have to wait to see the results and....

Guess I'm going to have to work out this DLSR I've got. Digital has made me lazy. I've burned out my Nikon Coolpix but it has made me a point and shoot happy snapper again which I enjoyed.

These competitions are informative though. Not just technical photography but now Einstein's Theory of Relativity. I suppose motion is some thing moving relative to something else which in this case is the photographer so that rules out my rotating Earth idea.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Was thinking the same and using my Canon A1 where I would use manual settings but you have to wait to see the results and....

Guess I'm going to have to work out this DLSR I've got. Digital has made me lazy. I've burned out my Nikon Coolpix but it has made me a point and shoot happy snapper again which I enjoyed.

These competitions are informative though. Not just technical photography but now Einstein's Theory of Relativity. I suppose motion is some thing moving relative to something else which in this case is the photographer so that rules out my rotating Earth idea.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

imo the them could be answered by something unusually still - i.e. a shot of something still that is more typically 'in motion'.

imo the them could be answered by something unusually still - i.e. a shot of something still that is more typically 'in motion'.

A kind of no-motion or absence of motion.....

Everything has an equal and opposite reaction I suppose.

Form is emptiness and emptiness is form said Buddha so I suppose motion is no-motion and no-motion is motion.....

I don't know, we need the resident SMB genius on this.

Where is a Watermonkey when you need one. ;)

Mind when you think about it, we can't even stop on topic in a thread so what chance us stopping on topic on a theme. :eek:

Anyway it was a hard choice again this month, special mentions to Mercia, Peachbum, janiep, Superkev, Rogers APB's and Spavs however as it's only one vote my vote goes to Cartman love the story the photo tells and the light and mood of the picture does the story justice.

Thanks Dodger. At least someone appreiates my ahem historical ducumentative style :cool:

A credit is good enough for me ;)

It does limit things somewhat with a point and shoot but there a couple of things you might be able to try.

If you set the flash on, you can freeze motion quite well, for example water splashes in a darkish room (point your camera at the shower or a running tap and you will see).

Similarly, anything poorly lit will force the camera to use a slower shutter speed (think blurred photos in clubs here). If you can move the camera in time with something you will get a blurred background and hopefully a fairly clear subject.

Some compact cameras also let you play with the ISO setting which indirectly will change the shutter speed too. (Low ISO is likely to give slower shutter speed [blur] and higher ISO more likely to give a fast shutter speed [freeze the action]).

I'd like to try and catch something like this one again for the competition (taken 18 months ago) but I will probably end up with something completely different!

Logon or register to see this image

Thanks for the tips Roger, I wish the topic was "movement" as I have a good 'un for that, but it doesn't work for "motion". Cryptic eh? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back