Roughest pub in newcastle/north tyneside

I heard a tale once about a woman riding into O'Keefe's on Gateshead High Street on a pony. A nice story, but almost certainly a lie.

Made my debut in The Clock on Gold Cup day last year. Rough but a good laugh. Estate pubs would be 10 times worse.

The Spit and Vomit iirc

Yates wine bar nearby was almost as bad.

Worst I've ever been in was the Newcastle Arms, under the Tyne Bridge. Does it still exist?
I've just seen this many months later. I liked it in the Newcastle Arms (1980/early 90s). It was very basic and had an air of the late fifties or early sixties (probably formica tables) but it contrasted nicely with newer and refurbished pubs taking over the Quayside then.

Liked Yates as well like, though it had nowt on the one in Nottingham. A lot of character, and characters

Last edited:
I've just seen this many months later. I liked it in the Newcastle Arms (1980/early 90s). It was very basic and had an air of the late fifties or early sixties (probably formica tables) but it contrasted nicely with newer and refurbished pubs taking over the Quayside then.

Liked Yates as well like, though it had nowt on the one in Nottingham. A lot of character, and characters
There used to be two Newcastle Arms back then I think. The one on the Quayside and another on St Andrews Street/Darn Crook near Sid James Park.

I heard a tale once about a woman riding into O'Keefe's on Gateshead High Street on a pony. A nice story, but almost certainly a lie.

Made my debut in The Clock on Gold Cup day last year. Rough but a good laugh. Estate pubs would be 10 times worse.
The Clock has been refurbished. It is a bit out of place now.
The Darnell was always 'interesting' on match days, as was The Adelaide back in the 80's.

Yates in Nottingham was class

I went to Uni there (Nottingham not Yates)

Anybody mentioned the seine boat on the meadow well, think it burned down. Not been that way for years, drove up to the meadow well metro, got lost. Car on bricks and a load of kids staring, middle if the day, happy it wasnt dark, jeez.

I was in The Newcastle Arms (under the Tyne Bridge) in the late 60's, early 70's......it was like a zoo!

Last edited:
Yates in Nottingham was class

I went to Uni there (Nottingham not Yates)
I was at the poly. On Friday/Saturday nights there'd be someone playing piano with a violinist, doing old songs like Bye, Bye Blackbird when I was there. Old women with Elephantitis drinking Mackeson's, it was like going back ín time. Of course they did it up and all that world is gone. Not been back for over twenty years but there were great pubs and a really good city to be in.

I was at the poly. On Friday/Saturday nights there'd be someone playing piano with a violinist, doing old songs like Bye, Bye Blackbird when I was there. Old women with Elephantitis drinking Mackeson's, it was like going back ín time. Of course they did it up and all that world is gone. Not been back for over twenty years but there were great pubs and a really good city to be in.

Yes I was at Trent too, early 80s

Anybody mentioned the seine boat on the meadow well, think it burned down. Not been that way for years, drove up to the meadow well metro, got lost. Car on bricks and a load of kids staring, middle if the day, happy it wasnt dark, jeez.
It's a mini supermarket type place now.

Tesco Extra now.
The Flying Stool as it locally known. Was as proper shithole TBF.

We used to pick up my Grandad from The Scrogg in Walker every Sunday. Seemed to be a tough old place (I’m half blood - mam from Walker dad from Southwick - the good blood was stronger) . Lived in Benwell for a while and The Benwell could be a lively place.

The Black Garter is not rough it’s just full of life’s losers. I find it a bit sad. I used to go in on a Saturday when we were away and me and a mate had a Saturday gambling day.
Went in for a laugh just before the mags played Man Utd at home in Dec

First (and probably last) time in there, didn't seem particularly rough, just a bit basic. It was absolutely heaving like, couldn't get moved for fat baldy men (and women) in mag tops, so we didn't stay very long as it was uncomfortably busy.

Back