Roughest pub in newcastle/north tyneside

The Rose and Crown at the top of the Bigg market was a rough old booze back in the lte 70’s , went in there and needed a slash and this bloke said keep an eye on the light ashen you’re having a piss , if it goes out you’re about to get a good hiding.

The Rokeby up near Westerhope was a rough old place as well.

The Victoria & Comet was, in the 1960s and 1970s, probably the worst pub in Newcastle, spit and sawdust and chocka with violent blade-carrying thugs and members of the criminal underworld. It was frequently raided by the police, sometimes armed.

Paddy, who ran the Bridge Hotel, [see post 66 on the north-east hard men thread] actively discouraged people from going there for their own safety.

I can remember one day walking past there as a 15 year old in 1979 and it was like the bloody wild west!:eek::lol:

Smoking ban did them no favours. Cleared a lot of the old boys out. And associated family’s.

Is just tip of ice berg. Was alot worse that that prior to 2020 as well

Flat roof. End of thread!
The Jungle’s bark was far worse than its bite. Its proper name was the Northumberland Arms and it was frequented by sailors and prostitutes. Anyone were sightseers.

Think ive been in. Had a meeting with my old gaffer years back nearby n he asked if i fancied a couple. Was about 9am like!

Last edited:
There’s a pub in Low Walker that looks a bit dodgy. It was The Wincomblee Hotel, now called Crockets Hotel. It’s set back from the road and looks like it‘s pretending to be a pub when it’s really a front for something else. There’s another (I assume ex-yards) pub even further down towards the river near that one, but can’t remember its name.

The Turbinia I think?
The Tub is on the Fosseway opposite the old fire station at the junction with Westbourne Avenue.
The bar further down would've been The Hobby (real name was The Royal George I think) it's been down about 20 years now. Was right at the bottom of Welbeck Rd, next to the old ferry steps.
Went in one next to the greyhound stadium quite a number of years ago. Sure we went in one door and headed straight back out of another door. Can't remember the name of it and not sure it's still there.

Just a normal pub.
That would be The Fosse....now an Italian restaurant.
was the greyhound the one at the bottom of the block of flats?
Yes, shut now.

Last edited:
Not soft as shite. The Victoria & Comet was, in the 1960s and 1970s, probably the worst pub in NewcastLe,

The Spit and Vomit iirc

Yates wine bar nearby was almost as bad.

Worst I've ever been in was the Newcastle Arms, under the Tyne Bridge. Does it still exist?

Last edited:
The Spit and Vomit iirc

Yates wine bar nearby was almost as bad.

Worst I've ever been in was the Newcastle Arms, under the Tyne Bridge. Does it still exist?

I was in the Newcastle Arms one night (90s), when a woman walked in, made a bee-line for another woman and then pulled her backwards off her barstool by her hair and tried dragging her along the floor by her hair. She had clumps of it in her hand when she was pulled off her.

Newcastle fan in peace, lads - thoroughly enjoyed reading this was a regular (well from time to time anyway) of all bars mentioned. Loved the Hobby especially opposite Neptune Yard entrance. Death of the Yard was death of pub. I recall being in there witha girlfriend (love of my life then, a true beauty and everything a woman should be but we broke up) - and her father and first time I ever saw the local version of Tapas - black pudding (never tasted its like before or since - triangle sarnies etc etc. Turbinia nice pub ar*****e of a manager. Vic and Comet still there and quite nice still.

Back