Rory Burns

Delighted for him. I agree with The Rey in that he always seems to get more stick than the likes of Crawley and Sibley but he won’t now. Good player and a great start to the summer for him.

Yeah I know, @The Rat keeps mentioning he has a central contract and Wood doesn’t.

It’s a bad comparison as the bottom
line is Burns is the best opener in the country
Well he can't be tagged so I'm bemused what he's done to get banned again.

But he can throw that criticism to Sibley, Crawley and Pope now.

Pope is the most disappointing as he's clearly capable. He can fuck off turning into Vince mk II

Pope is the most disappointing as he's clearly capable. He can fuck off turning into Vince mk II
Yeah, I'm disappointed in Pope. Two years ago he looked like he had the world at his feet, but he just hasn't kicked on.

I like Sibleys attitude and he does have some skill, but has lots to work on.

Crawley has never impressed me, bar that one innings. Never really seen what all the fuss is about

Pope really needs to kick on I agree. I’m more worried he becomes Ramprakash mkII. Vince doesn’t even have great first class record

I think the Ramps comparison is a better one and Crawley is very Vincesque with him always being a loose drive away from being out. I’m no fan of Vince at all but I would back him to score more runs in Australia than Sibley, Crawley and possibly Pope if we were playing the Ashes next week. They need to step up this summer but there will be lots of opportunities for them to do so.

The best of our top three for me (and I’d have said that straight after Crawley’s 267 last year).

It’s noticeable though that in his two domestic tons - the other being at Edgbaston against the Aussies in 2019 - he’s given major chances and seriously rode his luck. Sometimes you need the Gods with you in sport though!

We’re in an era now where anyone who can average 35 in the top three will be nailed on for us. I still think Denly wasn’t the worst option up there, his ‘Denturys’ had big value.

Yeah I know, @The Rat keeps mentioning he has a central contract and Wood doesn’t.

It’s a bad comparison as the bottom
line is Burns is the best opener in the country

He is OK, no more than that, he averages low 30s, and he will never average more than that

I think the reaction to the defeat is way over the top personlly, but I think as a general point, the fact Burns is seen as a 100% starter and a success story, while averaging low 30s, tells you a lot.

He is OK, no more than that, he averages low 30s, and he will never average more than that

I think the reaction to the defeat is way over the top personlly, but I think as a general point, the fact Burns is seen as a 100% starter and a success story, while averaging low 30s, tells you a lot.
Hello mate good to have you back. I think the issue with Burns is that you are really critical of him in particular but get really defensive when others are critical of other players, arguably poorer ones such as Sibley, Crawley, Bess etc.

Whatever his test average is, he is the best opening batsman in the country in red ball cricket.

And the best opener batsman in the country should have a central contract don’t you think?

Where the 3rd or 4th fourth best fast bowler in the country with a history of injuries is less likely to get one, that makes common sense to me.

Don’t think Burns is seen as a success just better than all the others.

I do agree with you though about the over the top reaction though, things taken a bit out of perspective imo.

Last edited:

Back