Rory Burns

He’ll play but it does sound like his position is in the most doubt. I think Bracey will be given a chance in the New Zealand series not sure who misses out

It’s all well and good doing it for Surrey. He needs a good next series for England
He will.
He's been in and out the side over the past 18 months with injury, and his daughter's birth. A proper run in the Test side this summer, and I'm absolutely convinced he'll nail down his spot.

In my very honest opinion - and I know some will disagree - he's the best, most consistent opener in the country right now.
Could be any of the top 3. They all need runs at test level. Maybe Sibley given he has been injured
Sibs has to learn how to score runs that aren't just placed on his hip IMO

I think Sibley is more reliable than Burns. Burns, Sibley and Crawley will be the top 3 against India I just think they want to give a few others a chance against New Zealand.
Possibly, I just think Burns has more options to score runs. Sibley when playing well can be good, but he’s got so few scoring areas

All 3 of those average from 30-34, and the Crawley one is inflated by a big big score.

Burns played well against Australia, I think he has something

I think Sibley is more reliable than Burns. Burns, Sibley and Crawley will be the top 3 against India I just think they want to give a few others a chance against New Zealand.
Sibley gets stuck against any top class bowling, and absolutely cannot hack playing spin. I love his attitude and I'm happy with him in the side, but he's currently a weak link.
Crawley has had one good knock. Theres potential there, but IMO his case is the weakest for selection.

Possibly, I just think Burns has more options to score runs. Sibley when playing well can be good, but he’s got so few scoring areas

All 3 of those average from 30-34, and the Crawley one is inflated by a big big score.

Burns played well against Australia, I think he has something
Sibley gets stuck against any top class bowling, and absolutely cannot hack playing spin. I love his attitude and I'm happy with him in the side, but he's currently a weak link.
Crawley has had one good knock. Theres potential there, but IMO his case is the weakest for selection.
Fair enough. For what it’s worth I actually thought all 3 have done alright and I’m willing to ignore the winter because some of the pitches were horrendous. Looking forward to the cricket mind after watching Sunderland capitulate in the football season :lol:

Fair enough. For what it’s worth I actually thought all 3 have done alright and I’m willing to ignore the winter because some of the pitches were horrendous. Looking forward to the cricket mind after watching Sunderland capitulate in the football season :lol:
Indeed. I'm happy with the three of them for now, but all three need big runs this summer - and I think Rory is the most likely.

Now the footballs done with and I haven't got to put up with Royball anymore, it's just mint having cricket to talk about and debate again 😍

Aye about winter too. Should be taken out of their averages, it was an absolute joke. Give the lads a clean slate this summer and see how they go.

FWIW, I'm not advocating any of them being dropped or being under pressure. I'm assuming they'll be the top three for the first NZ Test, and I'm happy with that - just putting forward my case for Rory ;)
@chunkylover53 watching the Surrey game with my missus and she reckons Rory is "hot as fuck" :lol:

Last edited:
Indeed. I'm happy with the three of them for now, but all three need big runs this summer - and I think Rory is the most likely.

Now the footballs done with and I haven't got to put up with Royball anymore, it's just mint having cricket to talk about and debate again 😍

Aye about winter too. Should be taken out of their averages, it was an absolute joke. Give the lads a clean slate this summer and see how they go.

FWIW, I'm not advocating any of them being dropped or being under pressure. I'm assuming they'll be the top three for the first NZ Test, and I'm happy with that - just putting forward my case for Rory ;)
@chunkylover53 watching the Surrey game with my missus and she reckons Rory is "hot as fuck" :lol:
Yeah. But she has questionable taste

Has scored 550 Championship runs in 2021 at an average of over 61.

Surely that puts to bed any notion of him not being selected for the first Test. Had an excellent start to the season, and I really fancy him to cement his place in the side this summer.

He needs runs like at test level mind, he is fairly lucky to have played so many games for his record IMO, 30.7 average, not good enough lets be honest, after a promising period, not much higher than what a lot of lads god dropped for.

Certain starter for me still but he really needs to consistently score runs

my biggest issue with him, is that for someone who has based his game on batting long periods of time, he gets out mostly to such lazy shots.

really hope he does btw, as we have invested a lot of time in him, really could do with him stepping up as a senior batsman, which he is now

Agreed, dangerous game if we pick based on that Indian tour, I just hope they dont have too many mental scars!

Last edited:
Has scored 550 Championship runs in 2021 at an average of over 61.

Surely that puts to bed any notion of him not being selected for the first Test. Had an excellent start to the season, and I really fancy him to cement his place in the side this summer.
Yes I agree totally although his record at test level not great however the way he played in the Ashes against brilliant on fire bowlers like Cummins, Hazelwood etc, suggested he has the talent to play at the top level.

Cricket all about opinions but don’t think Sibley would have performed as well against that quality attack.

And it was good for him imo he made his debut after that series

Should be our first choice option to open for me

Last edited:
He needs runs like at test level mind, he is fairly lucky to have played so many games for his record IMO, 30.7 average, not good enough lets be honest, after a promising period, not much higher than what a lot of lads god dropped for.
Boom, nail on the head.

He's like a modern day Wayne Larkins: fantastic at county level but never really had the talent to be a test batsman.

I don't know how you coach a player with Burns technique to reach the next level as it's so damn ugly you have nothing to work with. Either his default game is useful to the team, or somebody better comes along and you get rid. Sibley is in the same boat, but he seems to have a strong defensive game and the mindset to bat for hours, which is valuable.
Yes I agree totally although his record at test level not great however the way he played in the Ashes against brilliant on fire bowlers like Cummins, Hazelwood etc, suggested he has the talent to play at the top level.

Cricket all about opinions but don’t think Sibley would have performed as well against that quality attack.

And it was good for him imo he made his debut after that series

Should be our first choice option to open for me
That was the series where you finally thought it clicked for him. His position was in serious doubt before this. Then followed it up with good performances in NZ, SA and at home Vs the West Indies. From then on shite again.

Last edited:

Back