Romesh Ranganathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like him, but totally overdoing it at the minute.

Tbf his new programme is actually quite good; not just the standard shit about his mam or being a teacher all of the time.

There seems to be a crazy belief that ethnic minority, female and disabled people are being given an unfair advantage over white male able bodied people

Time for people to stop with the self pity and the whinging. It's pathetic

Always easier to blame someone for why you haven't got on rather than actually take some responsibility yourself. Seems to be the way the western world is going now.

There seems to be a crazy belief that ethnic minority, female and disabled people are being given an unfair advantage over white male able bodied people

Time for people to stop with the self pity and the whinging. It's pathetic

I'd agree with that in the vast majority of cases but positive discrimination does exist.

But the MP where my mam and dad live (NW Durham) got the job because she is female. Labour safe seat and a female-only shortlist for candidates.
Sorry but that is wrong.

Generally though I would whole heartedly agree

I'd agree with that in the vast majority of cases but positive discrimination does exist.

But the MP where my mam and dad live (NW Durham) got the job because she is female. Labour safe seat and a female-only shortlist for candidates.
Sorry but that is wrong.

I can't stand the Labour MP for NW Durham. She is dreadful

But all women shortlists were the only way to force Constituency Labour Parties to select woman candidates

Overall they are a good thing, even if they do from time to time produce utter knackers

After all there were plenty utter knackers who got picked when it was all men short lists?

Sorry but that is wrong.

Definitely does exist.

Sorry but that is wrong.

Also her dad is a prominant local councillor.

But then claimed on Question time that she got the position entirely 100% off her own back for being the absolute best hard working person for the job.

I can't stand the Labour MP for NW Durham. She is dreadful

But all women shortlists were the only way to force Constituency Labour Parties to select woman candidates

Overall they are a good thing, even if they do from time to time produce utter knackers

After all there were plenty utter knackers who got picked when it was all men short lists?
Can't agree with all women shortlists.
Leads to "you're only here because you're a women" rather than the woman being there because she is good enough.

It is surely the causes that stop women applying in the first place that need to be tackled.

I have nothing against female MPs, and I agree that there should be more. but had she been just as hard working or qualified for the role, but a man... she wouldnt have got the job. In fact she wouldnt have been allowed to apply, and that is fundamentally wrong.

Could you imagine a shortlist for such a high powered job that said "Asians only" or "Men only". There would rightfully be outrage.

Could you imagine a private company saying they only wanted women to apply for promotion? Discrimination is discrimination regardless who it advantages/disadvantages.

Can't agree with all women shortlists.
Leads to "you're only here because you're a women" rather than the woman being there because she is good enough.

It is surely the causes that stop women applying in the first place that need to be tackled.

All woman shortlists weren't introduced because woman weren't applying

They were introduced because a large number of Constituency Labour Party's wouldn't select female candidates. If all woman shortlists were removed lots of CLPs would go back to only selecting men

Worth noting that after the last snap GE Labour have been selecting Prospective Parliamentary Candidates for their target seats. In every seat without an all woman short list they picked a white man. In every seat with an all woman short list they picked a white woman.

just another line of people TV companies are pushing , the same as David Mitchell and his wife Victoria Coren Mitchell.........Canny life style for a couple of none entities paid for out of the license fee.:oops:

just another line of people TV companies are pushing , the same as David Mitchell and his wife Victoria Coren Mitchell.........Canny life style for a couple of none entities paid for out of the license fee.:oops:

One is a very good comedian and the other is a decent (and very east on the eye) presenter. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean there's an agenda :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back