Romesh Ranganathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
One is a very good comedian and the other is a decent (and very east on the eye) presenter. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean there's an agenda :lol:
they both seem to get a run of appearing on the TV of around 6 months...Canny money if you can get it for so little talent.

Romesh's Hip hop podcast is absolutely brilliant. My favourite podcast at the moment. He's a a lot funnier when he's just chatting normally, not a huge fan of his stand up.

He is a likeable chap.

He does get about a bit but I think he is sound like, he is very quick witted, the way he quickly responds to a question is just class like if you watch his show.

:lol:

Auntie loves her quotas but I'm not sure that counts

Following in the footsteps of Katherine Ryan, Michael McIntyre and John Bishop.

Crack a few funnies on HIGNFY etc, the Beeb builds them up as the next big thing with unhilarious results

I'd agree with that in the vast majority of cases but positive discrimination does exist.

But the MP where my mam and dad live (NW Durham) got the job because she is female. Labour safe seat and a female-only shortlist for candidates.
Sorry but that is wrong.

Generally though I would whole heartedly agree
Been going on for years. Tbf the Milibands and Chuka Umunna were also parachuted in.

I can't say any have improved UK politics one iota.

Last edited:
All woman shortlists weren't introduced because woman weren't applying

They were introduced because a large number of Constituency Labour Party's wouldn't select female candidates. If all woman shortlists were removed lots of CLPs would go back to only selecting men

Worth noting that after the last snap GE Labour have been selecting Prospective Parliamentary Candidates for their target seats. In every seat without an all woman short list they picked a white man. In every seat with an all woman short list they picked a white woman.
Just saw this as the threads were merged. This is entirely true and I'm glad someone pointed it out. AWSs are there to redress the unsaid bias towards choosing male candidates. It's all well and good saying that they should just select the best candidate regardless of gender, but in the real world this has been the official line for decades, and (without AWSs) male candidates are still selected overwhelmingly more often than female ones. They can't all be better than all the female candidates.

:lol:

Auntie loves her quotas but I'm not sure that counts

Following in the footsteps of Katherine Ryan, Michael McIntyre and John Bishop.

Crack a few funnies on HIGNFY etc, the Beeb builds them up as the next big thing with unhilarious results

Been going on for years. Tbf the Milibands and Chuka Umunna were also parachuted in.

I can't say any have improved UK politics one iota.

I personally don't like McIntyre or Bishop but they are both popular (witness their DVD sales and sell out tours) so saying they are only on TV as they are someones favourite is a little misleading. Katherine Ryan is OK on panel shows but not seen her stadup so cannot really comment. It is like Mrs Browns Boys for me - utter dross but sadly it is very popular so the BBC should really show it as it is representative of the tastes of the UK populace sadly, if nobody watches stuff then they disappear if people watch stuff they get more work. For me someone in entertainment it makes sense to make much as they can whilst they are popular as in 2-3 years they may be out of work.

I personally don't like McIntyre or Bishop but they are both popular (witness their DVD sales and sell out tours) so saying they are only on TV as they are someones favourite is a little misleading. Katherine Ryan is OK on panel shows but not seen her stadup so cannot really comment. It is like Mrs Browns Boys for me - utter dross but sadly it is very popular so the BBC should really show it as it is representative of the tastes of the UK populace sadly, if nobody watches stuff then they disappear if people watch stuff they get more work. For me someone in entertainment it makes sense to make much as they can whilst they are popular as in 2-3 years they may be out of work.
MacIntyre is the odd one out imo. Massive tours, DVDs, popular TV show and a long term future. John Bishop was popular for a while then fell off the map.

I can see why MacIntyre is well liked, Bishop not so much.

Popularity is huge, I thought Ricky Gervais' sitcom in Extras was a joke until Mrs Brown's Boys became a smash hit.

Last edited:
MacIntyre is the odd one out imo. Massive tours, DVDs, popular TV show and a long term future. John Bishop was popular for a while then fell off the map.

I can see why MacIntyre is well liked, Bishop not so much.

Popularity is huge, I thought Ricky Gervais' sitcom in Extras was a joke until Mrs Brown's Boys became a smash hit.
Watched a couple episodes of Extras with me dad, the only thing he laughed at was "When the whistle blows" :oops:

One is a very good comedian and the other is a decent (and very east on the eye) presenter. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean there's an agenda :lol:
You seriously saying David Mitchell is a comedian! FM, there's loads out on the comedy circuit much better than this pleb. Yes, he may do comedy tours and be involved in "the Peep" show, something he had no hand in writing the scripts but he is much more of a nerdy writer than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back