Romesh Ranganathan

I think he's funny, very watchable.

I just don't get why people are so against seeing Asian people on the TV. They have been in the UK for centuries. Maybe you should just get used to them?

I’m not against anybody being on TV, but I think people should be selected for jobs and shows based on being the best at what they do, not just to tick boxes.

I’m not against anybody being on TV,

Yes you are.

but I think people should be selected for jobs and shows based on being the best at what they do, not just to tick boxes.

You seem to have the crazy idea that an Asian comedian could only succeed because of "ticking boxes" rather than having talent

That's a pretty unpleasant world view.

I’m not against anybody being on TV, but I think people should be selected for jobs and shows based on being the best at what they do, not just to tick boxes.
Quite a number on this thread alone have said they like him so suggesting he’s only getting opportunities because he’s Asian is massively disingenuous.

What boxes does, say, Jack Whitehall tick? Or David Wallians or Russell Howard? All have been massively pushed at some time or another in the same way RR is now. He may not be to your taste but having to bring his ethnicity into your appraisal doesn’t reflect particularly well on you.

Quite a number on this thread alone have said they like him so suggesting he’s only getting opportunities because he’s Asian is massively disingenuous.

What boxes does, say, Jack Whitehall tick? Or David Wallians or Russell Howard? All have been massively pushed at some time or another in the same way RR is now. He may not be to your taste but having to bring his ethnicity into your appraisal doesn’t reflect particularly well on you.
Correct answer.

Some people just assume that an Asian, black, female, LGBT or disabled person can't possibly have got where they are on merit. The ironic thing is that they don't realise that lots of able-bodied, straight, white men have been getting where they are because they tick the ultimate box of approval.

He actually joked in an interview when it was said he had recently had a lot of screen time and he said he ticked a lot of boxes and there was plenty of work at the moment for Asians with a lazy eye.

He is on the television because he’s good at what he does. Is race or ethnicity ever mentioned when a white person you consider to not be funny is on television? Very much doubt it.

Back