Robson Greens weekend escapes

Alexander Armstrong, Lauren Laverne, Sting, James Bolam, Ant & Dec, Kate Adie…

There’s a longer list to add to those examples of people who hail from the North East and, because of what they do, where they moved to etc, their accents may or may not have altered over time. Or not all. But I don’t think any of them get the stick that Robson Green gets about his/her accent.

I think that’s mainly due to the fact that, whatever accent they had or now have, it doesn’t sound fake. If it’s altered, it still sounds genuine. It must rile him that he gets this all the time because he’s obviously been required to amend an accent because of what he does and, presumably, where he lives. But it still sounds unnatural.

Another example. Bobby Charlton and Jack Charlton. Brothers from the sand area. Both earned their living outside the north east. They ended up with completely different accents. Bobby with a more gentle north east tone, Jack still broad Geordie. Neither sounds fake.

By the way: I’m enjoying his programme but that’s got nothing to do with the celebrity accompanying him or the repetitive paddle boarding. It’s just reminding me of all the places I need to go back to.

Last edited:
Awful posh geordie voice aside he just has something about him I don't like . Insincere , going through the motions . All these latest shows using drones etc in nice places are great on the eye but its not enough to ignore him . Staithes is nice for a day trip . Not a lot there
Plenty there if you are interested in geology and like hinting for fossils. Don't get caught out by the tide though. Some places are only accessible by walking along the beach (and more importantly... back home that way).

Good mate of mine Tristan. From Wooler ;)
Are you from Wooler? I spent most of my childhood school holidays and several weekends on a farm near Wooler. We always return there at least one week per year. It's my plan to retire somewhere around there (ASAP).
I'm torn when watching Robson Green on TV. Part of me, as an expat, loves seeing pictures and coverage of anywhere around the North East. The other part of me is shouting "Shut up man!!!" at the TV. Don't want the southern riff-raff realising that is doesn't actually snow 9 months of the year and in actual fact that part of the world is lovely.

Last edited:
Plenty there if you are interested in geology and like hinting for fossils. Don't get caught out by the tide though. Some places are only accessible by walking along the beach (and more importantly... back home that way).
And flying rocks ! Aye,everywhere is more than meets the eye .Your average daytripper does a park and walk ,lick and slurp .
The voice generated bloke tonight has a better accent 😁

Last edited:
Just watching thee second one now. Canny enough with Mark the boro lad.
But you can't escape Robon's hideous accent and I dunno but he just feels condescending all the time.

Staithes really is a lovely place though. Spent a night down there on me todd last year. Just because I could. Few pints around the village. Very nice.
Walked through staithes when I was doing the Cleveland way. I’d never heard of it and it really is a lovely place

He had the honour of presenting me with my degree certificate 1998...in his speech I remember him going on and on about his wife, how he owes all his success to her etc..

Left her and kids a few months later for some younger bit!

I thought then, Geordie tit

Alexander Armstrong, Lauren Laverne, Sting, James Bolam, Ant & Dec, Kate Adie…

There’s a longer list to add to those examples of people who hail from the North East and, because of what they do, where they moved to etc, their accents may or may not have altered over time. Or not all. But I don’t think any of them get the stick that Robson Green gets about his/her accent.

I think that’s mainly due to the fact that, whatever accent they had or now have, it doesn’t sound fake. If it’s altered, it still sounds genuine. It must rile him that he gets this all the time because he’s obviously been required to amend an accent because of what he does and, presumably, where he lives. But it still sounds unnatural.

Another example. Bobby Charlton and Jack Charlton. Brothers from the sand area. Both earned their living outside the north east. They ended up with completely different accents. Bobby with a more gentle north east tone, Jack still broad Geordie. Neither sounds fake.

By the way: I’m enjoying his programme but that’s got nothing to do with the celebrity accompanying him or the repetitive paddle boarding. It’s just reminding me of all the places I need to go back to.
He's missed out Druridge Bay, unless he's saving that for a later episode. That'll be the last place I'll be going back to.

My mate told me about this series the other day, got a bit of catching up to do. Watched the one where he's at The Barn in Easington last night and the one with Sarah Davies in Teesdale, where they jump off a waterfall, decent enough watch. Re-ignites my love for the North East, a region Im often prone to slagging off. Its just a shame its economy doesn't marry up with the beauty of its surroundings.

Liked the previous program he did about walking in the NE and this one is ok. Can’t stand the bloke, but I’m the same about Ant and Dec so not sure if it’s just my anti Geordie bias or they really are arses!

He on Saturday kitchen
Just caught last 2 minutes going on about swan hunters
I used to work with a bloke who worked with him in the drawing office at Swans. He used to go to evening acting classes and got the mick taken out of him for it. He announced one day he was packing in to become an actor and they all told him he would never make any money out of it and he would be back in 6 months!
Fair play to him for following his dream.

I don’t mind him. Love the show and anything that showcases the northeast on the telly is a winner by me. We are so lucky what’s on our doorsteps up here. Coast, country and great towns and cities in spitting distance.

I used to work with a bloke who worked with him in the drawing office at Swans. He used to go to evening acting classes and got the mick taken out of him for it. He announced one day he was packing in to become an actor and they all told him he would never make any money out of it and he would be back in 6 months!
Fair play to him for following his dream.
I used to work with him

Back