Robinson suspended

You don't think Dowden and Doris Johnson have commented on this because he is an ex-public schoolboy (Canterbury - part of the Eton group) do you?

I disagree completely. I thought his interview was counterproductive. "What education" was his argument as if people don't grow up at any point in life. 10 years ago racism and sexist jokes were dark humour, now it's completely unacceptable (rightly so). He's became an adult in those 10 years. Is that not education enough?

Carberry cannot tell anyone he knows as much now as he did when he was 18.

interviews like the one Carberry give wasn't very supportive. I realise they've got to give both sides of the story but it's not helpful at all.
I'm not comfortable with lecturing Carberry on what are more than likely his opinions based on his own experiences, including in cricket. I don't agree with him that a ban from international cricket is the most suitable form of punishment though.

10 years ago racism and sexist jokes were dark humour, now it's completely unacceptable (rightly so). He's became an adult in those 10 years. Is that not education enough?
In the 70's maybe, not in the early 2000's.

Racist and sexist jokes were seen as a complete no go area for the new wave of comedians from the 80's onwards.

They were very critical of old-school comedians who still peddled that sort of thing as part of their act.

In the 70's maybe, not in the early 2000's.

Racist and sexist jokes were seen as a complete no go area for the new wave of comedians from the 80's onwards.

They were very critical of old-school comedians who still peddled that sort of thing as part of their act.
Surely there is nothing wrong with racist and sexist jokes per se, it all depends on the context? Dark humour has always been a facet of comedy, and it surely the intent that matters? The whole point of comedy is you can joke about anything.

Surely there is nothing wrong with racist and sexist jokes per se, it all depends on the context? Dark humour has always been a facet of comedy, and it surely the intent that matters? The whole point of comedy is you can joke about anything.
I mean I have an incredibly dark sense of humour and make jokes out of absolutely everything (mainly as a coping mechanism :lol:) but I'd imagine there's a world of difference between a professional comedian telling a joke to an expectant audience, and a professional sportsman tweeting them to his followers on Twitter

I mean I have an incredibly dark sense of humour and make jokes out of absolutely everything (mainly as a coping mechanism :lol:) but I'd imagine there's a world of difference between a professional comedian telling a joke to an expectant audience, and a professional sportsman tweeting them to his followers on Twitter
Well, yes. But I do not like this idea that expression should be regulated. It's a dangerous, slippery slope.

The whole point of comedy is to make people laugh.

The only people who find racist and sexists jokes funny are racists and sexists.

The whole point of comedy is to make people laugh.

The only people who find racist and sexists jokes funny are racists and sexists.
That's not true at all. I know an Irish guy who finds Irish jokes funny, I find jokes (jocks?) about Scottish people funny and I have a black friend who has told me racist jokes, so I guess he finds them funny!

Well, yes. But I do not like this idea that expression should be regulated. It's a dangerous, slippery slope.

Expression has been regulated for hundreds of years in this country. And regardless of age, if you publish something online there are potential consequences. Teenagers in school now are educated on the dangers of publishing their thoughts on social media. Robinson was slightly pre that type of education but it was sackless nevertheless.

Not sure what good a suspension does for him now but it perhaps sends a message to aspirational sports stars that they have to take responsibility for their words and actions from a young age.

Possibly, but this seems excessive . Some sort of warning and being sent on a diversity course would have sufficed.
Although I guess they can't give him a sanction (which should and will be light) without doing an investigation and going through a process.

Seems fair enough. His suspension will be lifted. He hasn't done anything very terrible at all.

Although I guess they can't give him a sanction (which should and will be light) without doing an investigation and going through a process.

Seems fair enough. His suspension will be lifted. He hasn't done anything very terrible at all.
OT but cool username. My favourite author (until he lost the plot on Short Sun).

Looks like another has been caught out aged under 16 :lol:

Mad that. What awful f***ing loser is trawling social media hoping to find the historic inappropriate tweets of a child. Apparently they found 1 such tweet. 1 :oops:

As for Robinson, he did need to be punished in some way. A suspension for the next game is about right plus some high profile rehabilitation like getting him into schools, clubs, speaking out clearly on his social media, doing some press etc. not just paying lip service and saying sorry but directly addressing why that language is wrong and why the next gen shouldn’t use it either. He shouldn’t be made and example of but he should aim to be an example himself and lead from the front.

Back in the side for India. Looks a player.

ECB havingng words with Anderson, Morgan and Buttler about some of their historic tweets. I'm guessing Andersons was about broads lesbian haircut

Back