Ricky Gervais - Stand Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
The joke has to be in the detail otherwise who will find that bit funny?
I get his someone will be offended comments but if you deliberately go for the jugular yes they will
He keeps saying people can be who they want to be , I don't mind ..then rips the piss out of them
Its funny but he's contradictory

I bet he never does a sketch about decapitated elephants.

Went to see it tonight, was canny good, laughed pretty much throughout.

Couple of things that annoyed me was that at least 2 of the jokes were in podcasts he'd done ten years ago. Fair enough many of the people there probably hadn't heard then but felt a bit lazy.

The Chinese Ling Ling joke was woeful as well, the sort thing that was out of date 30 years ago

Seen Jim Jefferies, Bill Burr and Kevin Bridges in recent years and he is nowhere near that league of comedian but a good night overall

Me and the missus enjoyed it. Was sat quite far back in the stalls and the amount of people walking around, getting up for pisses and just chatting amongst themselves was a piss take.
It was only an hour and people cannot sit f***ing still.

2 lasses a few rows in front of me arrived 30 minutes into his set (thought this wasn’t allowed as posted on the signs) sat down and proceeded to chat for the rest of the f***ing set, much to the dismay of the bloke next to them, he was f***ing furious :lol: felt sorry for him tbh

Went to see it tonight, was canny good, laughed pretty much throughout.

Couple of things that annoyed me was that at least 2 of the jokes were in podcasts he'd done ten years ago. Fair enough many of the people there probably hadn't heard then but felt a bit lazy.

The Chinese Ling Ling joke was woeful as well, the sort thing that was out of date 30 years ago

Seen Jim Jefferies, Bill Burr and Kevin Bridges in recent years and he is nowhere near that league of comedian but a good night overall

Which jokes out of curiousity? I noticed the same thing in Afterlife a few times.

Which jokes out of curiousity? I noticed the same thing in Afterlife a few times.
I'd never heard anything before but I'm not a full on devotee
Im old enough to remember top comedians having only one act and no podcasts or TV shows written by them

Beyond The Office everything he has done has been toilet.

I know he’s not I everybody’s taste. It would be boring if everybody liked the same. However Extras was fantastic at times. The Baftas scenes where he finds Ronnie Corbett in the toilet cubicle and with Richard Bryers and the talking doll. The Vaseline scene with McKellen, Patrick Stewart talking about his script ideas and David Bowie in the poncey bar.... superb comedy.

His mam looking after the old woman... "She won't die Rick"
Then a full bit on speaking more working class when talking to builders (which I think has even been in another stand up) that finished with him talking about the foreman who used the term "a c*nts full" as a measurement.

I'm sure there was more as I remember thinking "I'm sure Karl said that" but I can't recall what it was. Just seems a bit lazy to be padding out a 1 hour ten minutes show with that

We’ll be parking in either the NCP near Frankie and Bennies or Eldon Gardens, likely Eldon Gardens as its free after 5 plus we’ll be getting bait in Nudo 1st. NCP will likely be quieter, defiantly closer, as people will maybe head towards the free parking.

Is that the database shaped twirly car park? Shut early last time I was there and I had to return in the morning to get my car.

The problem was that he laboured the point extensively and for about 5 full minutes. Pointing to a cot and shouting "dead baby" time after time isn't really that thoughtful, considering there's bound to be people in the audience who lost babies to cotdeath/SID.

That's not funny, its just cruel.

If you moderate comedy based on who in the room could potentially be offended by any given scenario, there wouldn’t be much left.

Fundamentally wrong to say “You can’t joke about that” about anything.

Then a full bit on speaking more working class when talking to builders (which I think has even been in another stand up) that finished with him talking about the foreman who used the term "a c*nts full" as a measurement.

I'm sure there was more as I remember thinking "I'm sure Karl said that" but I can't recall what it was. Just seems a bit lazy to be padding out a 1 hour ten minutes show with that
Aye,it didn't really have a strong theme to it like his others but lots of stand up doesn't ,they walk on open their mouths and try to be funny

If you moderate comedy based on who in the room could potentially be offended by any given scenario, there wouldn’t be much left.

Indeed but given there's a million and one topics to joke about its accepted a few subjects are maybe a step too far , you have to ask why he's gone there .Maybe its pointing out something but how long do you stay on that point afters its made

Last edited:
I went last night and enjoyed it. I usually listen to the podcasts when driving to work to this day, even nearly 10 years on. Occasionally I’ll even listen to classic XFM stuff and some of the others posters are bang on; he’s recycled a lot from the podcasts. Some of the stuff he’s used was even blurred out by Karl Pilkington. It was the same with humanity. Probably why he’s been able to put two stand ups together so quickly.

In those terms, I completely agree.

The choice a comedian has to make is whether they want to risk offending the people in their own audience - people who know the comedian well, and know what to expect.
Then the same question, do you want to risk making them angry?

Then finally, and the point I was making, do you really want to make them cry with sadness?
To remind them of the absolute worst thing that could ever happen. Such as joking about soldiers getting killed to a room of people who may have lost children in wars, or, as in this case, joking about SID.

Yes, it is and absolutely should be "allowed". That's free speech and all that. The question is, why would you want to go *that* far? Especially since the joke I'm talking about really wasn't all that funny. If you have an absolutely cracking bit of material, you can get away with a lot, especially if you turn the "nasty" bit around by the end of the joke - but in this case, nothing like that happened. It was just a 10 minute, repeat the point countless times joke about how babies die too easily so why bother.

Caveat - Just noticing people are watching this show live now? We saw it about a year ago - so there's every chance the bit I'm referring to has significantly changed by now.

Last edited:
Yes, it is and absolutely should be "allowed". That's free speech and all that. The question is, why would you want to go *that* far? Especially since the joke I'm talking about really wasn't all that funny. If you have an absolutely cracking bit of material, you can get away with a lot, especially if you turn the "nasty" bit around by the end of the joke - but in this case, nothing like that happened. It was just a 10 minute, repeat the point countless times joke about how babies die too easily so why bother.

Caveat - Just noticing people are watching this show live now? We saw it about a year ago - so there's every chance the bit I'm referring to has significantly changed by now.
That would be his old show surely ? humanity ? this is a new one

That would be his old show surely ? humanity ? this is a new one
Just checked, it was June 2017 that I went, and that one went through to 2018. So aye, its a new tour - Super Nature apparently.

Last edited:

There have been bits in everything he has ever done that have been recycled from his podcasts. Even in the office, the bruce lee undercover police thing I'm sure was on there. Everyone of his stand ups shows has things that have previously been said by Karl

Just checked, it was June 2017 that I went, and that one went through to 2018. So aye, its a new tour - Super Nature apparently.
Aye its a brand new one. Tickets only went on sale a month ago. Small run before the full arena run once he's done with S2 of that new sitcom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back