Ricky Gervais - Stand Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjoyed his stuff until the last tour. Half of it was just him rambling on about tweets people had sent him that he'd already replied to on twitter - that's not material, that's just reading stuff out loud.

Then that 15 minute "bit" about dead babies, which was flat out bad taste. Offending people is fine, but saying things that would make people cry (people who've paid to come and see you), isn't on at all.

Then that 15 minute "bit" about dead babies, which was flat out bad taste. Offending people is fine, but saying things that would make people cry (people who've paid to come and see you), isn't on at all.

I don't think that was in bad taste given the context of the joke, which was essentially babies are fragile and he'd be a shit parent.

Jim Jeffries saying "Ah well, you keep your figure when you don't go to term" to someone that had a miscarriage was bad like.

I remember several years ago some huge event at the old Wembley Stadium, can't remember what it was.
I think he was partly hosting it doing a bit between acts, when one of the acts was held up and they asked him to fill in for anther 10 minutes or so.
He was completely goosed, couldn't do it, didn't know what to say, I can only assume his stand up is strictly scripted.
I remember thinking at the time, the old fella's a Ken Dodd or Bob Monkhouse would have been in their element.

I don't think that was in bad taste given the context of the joke, which was essentially babies are fragile and he'd be a shit parent.
The problem was that he laboured the point extensively and for about 5 full minutes. Pointing to a cot and shouting "dead baby" time after time isn't really that thoughtful, considering there's bound to be people in the audience who lost babies to cotdeath/SID.

That's not funny, its just cruel.

The problem was that he laboured the point extensively and for about 5 full minutes. Pointing to a cot and shouting "dead baby" time after time isn't really that thoughtful, considering there's bound to be people in the audience who lost babies to cotdeath/SID.

That's not funny, its just cruel.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one marra.

Reactions: PTR
I remember several years ago some huge event at the old Wembley Stadium, can't remember what it was.
I think he was partly hosting it doing a bit between acts, when one of the acts was held up and they asked him to fill in for anther 10 minutes or so.
He was completely goosed, couldn't do it, didn't know what to say, I can only assume his stand up is strictly scripted.
I remember thinking at the time, the old fella's a Ken Dodd or Bob Monkhouse would have been in their element.

99% of stand up is scripted. Do you think they make it up as they go?

Go and see any comedian 2 nights running and it'll be virtually the same

What did you think?
Enjoyed it ,shouldn't have had a pint because I was wetting myself
Its not jokes and non stop laughs with him .Never heard anything from before .

Just a better memory and more years of doing it to draw from for Doddy etc
Don't know many comedians who don't follow a script in their heads

Last edited:
Live earth 2007 iirc.

A comedian can spend a year going around clubs refining a 10 minute set, they aren't off the cuff.

I think Gervais could do 10 minutes easily, pulling 10 minutes out of his arse that would be suitable for that audience would a struggle though.

Michael McIntyre or Peter Kay could probably have pulled it off, they're pretty safe in comparison.

Enjoyed his stuff until the last tour. Half of it was just him rambling on about tweets people had sent him that he'd already replied to on twitter - that's not material, that's just reading stuff out loud.

Very bad taste, me and the missus had a stillbirth in 2008, was watching it with her, had to turn it off straight away as she got upset, shame he had to mention it as I love his other stuff

Reactions: PTR
Very bad taste, me and the missus had a stillbirth in 2008, was watching it with her, had to turn it off straight away as she got upset, shame he had to mention it as I love his other stuff
Sorry to hear that mate.

We had a still birth too, as awful as that was, I think that's sort of his point, everything he jokes about is going to offend someone. We were at the show and weren't overly offended, although didn't find it to be a funny section.

Obviously the joke may have offended someone who had lost a baby to SiDS more instead though.

We had a still birth too, as awful as that was, I think that's sort of his point, everything he jokes about is going to offend someone. We were at the show and weren't overly offended, although didn't find it to be a funny section.

Obviously the joke may have offended someone who had lost a baby to SiDS more instead though.
The joke has to be in the detail otherwise who will find that bit funny?
I get his someone will be offended comments but if you deliberately go for the jugular yes they will
He keeps saying people can be who they want to be , I don't mind ..then rips the piss out of them
Its funny but he's contradictory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back