Remote teaching and learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
we've actually got through more of the curriculum learning from home than we would in the classroom. The nature of our kids means that they can become unsettled at the drop of a hat and it's about putting out fires with them all whilst trying to teach. Having them all in their own house means they can't try and kill each other. :lol:

Any teachers got any creative enrichment activities? Our lesson 4 is enrichment on our remote learning timetable. There's endless enrichment opps in a classroom/school but after 2 months of enrichment from home I'm running out of ideas. :)

Last edited:

Awful isnt it. Ive got three of them and the youngest has little attention. Oldest struggles with maths so theres the whole "how do you teach this" problem. Middle one the least needing of attention but still needs some.

God knows how people are coping who have money worries and other things going on too.

I know how some are coping mind... sending their kids out in the front street to play with several other kids😳

These groups not doing zoom sessions? Ours do some.. nowhere near the same but its something

Is there really much difference to that than kids being in the local park playing? Ive practically had a season ticket for mine lately and its great seeing the kids running about playing with each other. For a lot of parents that time down there might be the only break they get from the pressures of home life

Is there really much difference to that than kids being in the local park playing? Ive practically had a season ticket for mine lately and its great seeing the kids running about playing with each other. For a lot of parents that time down there might be the only break they get from the pressures of home life

Yeah true. Probably a bit unfair judging peoples circumstances. It does defeat the point of these rules mind.

Just me or is this getting more and more excruciating as we get closer to March 8th?
Its absolute hell. Ive got three days to get through at home with them before then. Torture.

Now that the kids know when they're going back, it's natural for them to switch off a bit. It's like in school towards the end of a term when you can visibly see the children flagging or caring less.

Awful isnt it. Ive got three of them and the youngest has little attention. Oldest struggles with maths so theres the whole "how do you teach this" problem. Middle one the least needing of attention but still needs some.

God knows how people are coping who have money worries and other things going on too.

I know how some are coping mind... sending their kids out in the front street to play with several other kids😳

These groups not doing zoom sessions? Ours do some.. nowhere near the same but its something
She really disliked the gym zoom stuff. And the theatre group one we pay over 300 quid a term and they tried their best but it was really poor stuff they were doing, so we didn't do it this term.
Drama and dance gcse/btec she's doing
, they're just doing coursework now, which will hopefully mean back at school they have got most of that out of the way and they can do all the 'fun' stuff.
Not long to go!

She really disliked the gym zoom stuff. And the theatre group one we pay over 300 quid a term and they tried their best but it was really poor stuff they were doing, so we didn't do it this term.
Drama and dance gcse/btec she's doing
, they're just doing coursework now, which will hopefully mean back at school they have got most of that out of the way and they can do all the 'fun' stuff.
Not long to go!

Yeah Gymnastics was basically an exercise session😂. Ballet and Karate works well though

Just me or is this getting more and more excruciating as we get closer to March 8th?
Its absolute hell. Ive got three days to get through at home with them before then. Torture.
Yes, I was just thinking the same thing, I've worked harder each day than I ever did when I was working, I've enjoyed seeing how much she has learnt but I am counting down the days now.
8th of March cant come soon enough for me, the bairn gets maybe 1 piece of work done per day and then digs his heels in.......It's resulted in very stressful situations and I've occasionally lost my shit a bit. I cant force him to do it at home, he'll have no choice when he gets back to school - he's looking forward to getting back into his "proper routine".
I think I'm lucky, the little sponge that sits beside me everyday just loves showing us how much she can do and how much she has learned, I do get times when she wants to fool around but even when I think her attention has gone she is still taking it in.

Last edited:
And thats it. Im done. Another 9 weeks of home working/home schooling. Thank god for that. Absolute madness. Pllllease no more.
Just a couple more days for me, the bairn was wanting to down tools today but I insisted he did his maths work (he'll have new choice from Monday but hopefully he just embraces it and gets his head down lol).

2 more days to go. This second spell of home learning has been far worse than the first. Sure some of the material has been better but any novelty factor long since gone and it’s been a real slog. May need to take some time off work to just sit and stare at the telly in my under crackers next week
Think yourself lucky. Probably going to be after Easter before my son goes back to school. His maths teacher is doing my head in. Doesn't mark any work so we have no idea how he's doing and I've asked him on three occasions a question and he replies without answering the question I've asked, he's like a politician!

I have 1 more day of home tutoring, Friday is screenfree, she just has to do a task from a list on Fridays so I have almost a whole day to myself, it's been fun for us but I couldn't imagine being a teacher unless I had a mute button for the kids.

2 more days to go. This second spell of home learning has been far worse than the first. Sure some of the material has been better but any novelty factor long since gone and it’s been a real slog. May need to take some time off work to just sit and stare at the telly in my under crackers next week

Can't wait....sick of the f***ing sight of logging onto seesaw every morning/afternoon. Fair play to the teachers mind as the work has been decent with feedback.
The last 2 weeks have been a right fuck on to get the little one engaged though.

Yep it has been worse with the weather and no real end to aim for.

Ive been tempted to do the same and book a few days tbh
Can't wait....sick of the f***ing sight of logging onto seesaw every morning/afternoon. Fair play to the teachers mind as the work has been decent with feedback.
The last 2 weeks have been a right fuck on to get the little one engaged though.

Our feedback has been at best "great writing" at worst "🖤"
I have 1 more day of home tutoring, Friday is screenfree, she just has to do a task from a list on Fridays so I have almost a whole day to myself, it's been fun for us but I couldn't imagine being a teacher unless I had a mute button for the kids.

Just realised. Only a three week break then more chaos for two weeks😡

Last edited:

This is 100% spot on and needs national attention, what 8 year old will learn at the best of their ability when the learning centres around overblown technical phrases like ‘ sub-ordinating conjunctions ‘ or a 4 year old learning ‘ positional language ‘.

I’m not saying education should be dumbed down but after 6 months of home learning ( an autistic 9 year old, an 8 year old and a 4 year old ) in the last year i wouldn’t say its set currently at a level to make things easy to understand and sink in !

The Tories ( specifically Michael Gove which is no shock ) seem to have bullied Ofsted to make the curriculum sound well typically pomp or more simply Tory.

This is 100% spot on and needs national attention, what 8 year old will learn at the best of their ability when the learning centres around overblown technical phrases like ‘ sub-ordinating conjunctions ‘ or a 4 year old learning ‘ positional language ‘.

I’m not saying education should be dumbed down but after 6 months of home learning ( an autistic 9 year old, an 8 year old and a 4 year old ) in the last year i wouldn’t say its set currently at a level to make things easy to understand and sink in !

The Tories ( specifically Michael Gove which is no shock ) seem to have bullied Ofsted to make the curriculum sound well typically pomp or more simply Tory.
Some of the stuff my 8 year old is learning I've never heard of. I assumed I had just forgotten since I've been out of education for 20 years and I'm a bit thick to start with.

Some of the stuff my 8 year old is learning I've never heard of. I assumed I had just forgotten since I've been out of education for 20 years and I'm a bit thick to start with.

its all just termed in a level of grammar using technical phrases that i dont see helping any kid learn nevermind an 8 year its crazy !

My son is 12 and I haven't understood most of his work for years, especially the maths. It makes so sense to me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back