Remote teaching and learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is everyone coping?

We had our first confirmed positive test yesterday, from a member of support staff who is only in one day a week. That meant everyone from that bubble had to go home and self-isolate (who is on the same day). We have gone from around 20 children in the class to just one child in on his own today.

How is everyone coping?

We had our first confirmed positive test yesterday, from a member of support staff who is only in one day a week. That meant everyone from that bubble had to go home and self-isolate (who is on the same day). We have gone from around 20 children in the class to just one child in on his own today.

The torture continues. I dont mind Wednesdays as im in work tomorrow 🍾🥂

How is everyone coping?

We had our first confirmed positive test yesterday, from a member of support staff who is only in one day a week. That meant everyone from that bubble had to go home and self-isolate. We have gone from around 20 children in the class to just one child in on his own today.
Sitting at my computer.

been waiting since 12.45 for my year 9s to join the lesson.

not one has logged onto the call. Not one is online.

sent texts to parents. Zero response. YL ringing parents now, no answers.

Pleased I planned the lesson.

no doubt some of the parents (kids who are supposed to be in the class) who were giving it the big one slagging the school the last few days won’t be logging on and apologising either

Sitting at my computer.

no doubt some of the parents (kids who are supposed to be in the class) who were giving it the big one slagging the school the last few days won’t be logging on and apologising either
Bloody hell, sorry but your kids sound like a nightmare. What age are they?

I keep an eye on my sons chat on Microsoft Teams as it is on both our laptops, just about every kid logs on and does their work. They are all polite to their teachers, calling them Miss/Sir, and the teachers and kids seem to have a mutual respect for each other. It's great watching how they interact and I am really pleased with the education my son is getting now. I'd much prefer him to be in school but for remote learning it's great. They are only Year 7 mind so 11/12 years old.

I keep an eye on my sons chat on Microsoft Teams as it is on both our laptops, just about every kid logs on and does their work. They are all polite to their teachers, calling them Miss/Sir, and the teachers and kids seem to have a mutual respect for each other. It's great watching how they interact and I am really pleased with the education my son is getting now. I'd much prefer him to be in school but for remote learning it's great. They are only Year 7 mind so 11/12 years old.
Year 9 is 13/14 year old.

logged off now. Fuck it. I’ll catch up on some marking and planning.

My year 8 and 7 kids have about 3 'live' lessons a day, these help them stay engaged. The one in year 4 gets
4 lessons uploaded to tapestry every morning. Can't fault the school, it's just shit for teachers, parents and kids at the moment.
I'm running between the 3 trying to help, getting frustrated, then later the wife (nurse) gets in from work knackered and I sit down and do my work.
Our local school has 50% of pupils in at the moment.

Sitting at my computer.

We are seeing something too, Nursery lesson was just half a dozen yesterday, today they combined both the morning and afternoon session around 7 kids online, I know some of the kids have been given laptops so no excuse for them not to join in for a 20 minute class, Year one and I see numbers dropping here as well, my charges love being online and really enjoy all the lessons.

Sitting at my computer.

Haway give them a break man. Those Fortnite matches wont play themselves!
We are seeing something too, Nursery lesson was just half a dozen yesterday, today they combined both the morning and afternoon session around 7 kids online, I know some of the kids have been given laptops so no excuse for them not to join in for a 20 minute class, Year one and I see numbers dropping here as well, my charges love being online and really enjoy all the lessons.

Wish our school would do a daily online lesson. Even 10 minutes would do. Its al just suggested tasks to do.

Last edited:
My year 8 and 7 kids have about 3 'live' lessons a day, these help them stay engaged. The one in year 4 gets
4 lessons uploaded to tapestry every morning. Can't fault the school, it's just shit for teachers, parents and kids at the moment.
I'm running between the 3 trying to help, getting frustrated, then later the wife (nurse) gets in from work knackered and I sit down and do my work.
Our local school has 50% of pupils in at the moment.
yes juggling between 2 ipads in 2 rooms isn't easy but its exercise for me :lol:

Uptake in my eldest daughters online lessons is 70/80% (14 year olds)

Sitting at my computer.

Christ, that appalling.

I taught 54 Y9 pupils today from
2 classes in a lesson. Impressive take up from our kids despite being in a deprived area. Usually have between 20 and 30 kids online in lessons.

Sitting at my computer.

Heard similar stories with university students.

Just me or is this getting more and more excruciating as we get closer to March 8th?
Its absolute hell. Ive got three days to get through at home with them before then. Torture.
8th of March cant come soon enough for me, the bairn gets maybe 1 piece of work done per day and then digs his heels in.......It's resulted in very stressful situations and I've occasionally lost my shit a bit. I cant force him to do it at home, he'll have no choice when he gets back to school - he's looking forward to getting back into his "proper routine".

I'm mentally drained. I've now spent the last 2 month's delivering to my college classes online whilst having both kids at home. The class were great at first but getting them to engage now is like pulling teeth. The kids are drifting too and started off doing loads, but I've let my guard down a bit now and they're bored. On top of that my wife (who is a primary school teacher) caught COVID and then I went down with it over the half term so couldn't even take a week to clear my head. I'm hardly sleeping at the minute and can't wait to get the kids back in school and back into the college myself.

8th of March cant come soon enough for me, the bairn gets maybe 1 piece of work done per day and then digs his heels in.......It's resulted in very stressful situations and I've occasionally lost my shit a bit. I cant force him to do it at home, he'll have no choice when he gets back to school - he's looking forward to getting back into his "proper routine".
Same here.
My daughter is ok at school (she is year 10) but her favourite lessons are dance, drama and pe. She also does gymnastics outside school and theatre groups.
She has suffered massively in lockdowns. These subjects don't work too well with home learning

Awful isnt it. Ive got three of them and the youngest has little attention. Oldest struggles with maths so theres the whole "how do you teach this" problem. Middle one the least needing of attention but still needs some.

God knows how people are coping who have money worries and other things going on too.

I know how some are coping mind... sending their kids out in the front street to play with several other kids😳
Same here.
My daughter is ok at school (she is year 10) but her favourite lessons are dance, drama and pe. She also does gymnastics outside school and theatre groups.
She has suffered massively in lockdowns. These subjects don't work too well with home learning

These groups not doing zoom sessions? Ours do some.. nowhere near the same but its something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back