Reinstate Sunderland Shipbuilding

Why can your proposal not be situated further downriver, like in the docks for example, which would do away with the need for dredging?
What is the industry like at the docks these days? I've not been that way for many years, but on google it looks like it is surrounded by empty concrete. That may be the nature of the place that it has peak activity where it is busy and the google map was taken at a quiet time.

Where did they have in mind for the new yard? Is it the currently unused land next to the new bridge?

What is the industry like at the docks these days? I've not been that way for many years, but on google it looks like it is surrounded by empty concrete. That may be the nature of the place that it has peak activity where it is busy and the google map was taken at a quiet time.

Where did they have in mind for the new yard? Is it the currently unused land next to the new bridge?
I think it is the Pallion yard which is still there, but I don't know what condition it is actually in.

It that the buildings a bit downstream from the bridge? Google has Pallion Engineering tagged there.

It’s to the east of the northern spire, between it and queen alexandra bridge, on the southern side of the river.

Last edited:

Most of it is just wasteland. We do get a few ships in per week but the far end is just used to store ships which are being held in storage due to the drop in oil prices.

It’s to the east of the northern spire, between it and queen alexandra bridge, on the southern side of the river.

Cheers, that is what I was looking at then
Most of it is just wasteland. We do get a few ships in per week but the far end is just used to store ships which are being held in storage due to the drop in oil prices.
Sounds ideal for a start up.

I wonder if there is scope to think smaller scale and build luxury small boats. Loads of companies doing that Norfolk way.

Last edited:

I wonder if there is scope to think smaller scale and build luxury small boats. Loads of companies doing that Norfolk way.
Why bother? Just build a model train set in your attic if you want to live your childish daydreams

The trouble there is its a limited market and there are plenty of existing established builders.

Berthing in Sunderland is cheaper than many other places as its not as busy.

I'd love to see some decent industry move down there but I'm not sure what

Rent alone must be minimum £300-400k per annum if not more and that’s just for the single unit advertised, building must extend to 200,00ft2 or more?

Presumably the company/group would need to prove their credentials / business case to the landlords also?

Rent alone must be minimum £300-400k per annum if not more and that’s just for the single unit advertised, building must extend to 200,00ft2 or more?

Presumably the company/group would need to prove their credentials / business case to the landlords also?
True, they need orders in really. If they can show business is ready to invest, then they can make a start.

True, they need orders in really. If they can show business is ready to invest, then they can make a start.

Suppose they would argue they can’t create an order book without certainty of delivery programme but again comes back to the business plan or as people have said starting small and scaling up overtime.
I note that RSS has stated that they have now formed a private limited company NE MARINE AND OFFSHORE SERVICES LTD, which is good news. Interestingly if I’ve got the right company it’s based out of Montrose and incorporated in September this year.

Last edited:
Just wait until Nissan is closed due to Brexit.
Then there will be a few semi skilled workers avaiable to man the new yard.

Not sure what you'll do about the fact that all the shipyards equipment is now defunct, anyone with any meaningful experience now retired, or the fact that you'd need to pay everyone minimum wage to match prices In the far East .

If you're expecting he UK Tory Gov to overpay on British made product- that's a bit like asking a fox to go vegan.

Here's an idea ....

- focus on hi tech future products - things like Electric cars , batteries , and smart internet ready devices .

And make sure all your markets are firing on all cylinders

..... particularly the one right on your doorstep that has 500 million customers

Last edited:
Just wait until Nissan is closed due to Brexit.
Then there will be a few semi skilled workers avaiable to man the new yard.

Not sure what you'll do about the fact that all the shipyards equipment is now defunct, anyone with any meaningful experience now retired, or the fact that you'd need to pay everyone minimum wage to match prices In the far East .

If you're expecting he UK Tory Gov to overpay on British made product- that's a bit like asking a fox to go vegan.

Here's an idea ....

- focus on hi tech future products - things like Electric cars , batteries , and smart internet ready devices .

And make sure all your markets are firing on all cylinders

..... particularly the one right on your doorstep that has 500 million customers

There are a lot of things that would need to get sorted for the government to meet the commitments they've just made on carbon and climate change targets. Investment in jobs, skills, businesses and technology to meet those targets is sorely needed. Just one example is coming up with a readily available and affordable alternative to gas boilers and water heaters.
Come to that, if some sort of technology could be developed for clean, powerful and affordable engines/turbines or whatever for ships, we could have a shit hot industry sector designing and building that and selling it to Asian countries instead of trying to compete with them on price in a declining technology sector

Last edited:

Back