Reinstate Sunderland Shipbuilding

Roo

Full Back
'Reinstate Sunderland Shipbuilding’ is a group of current and former shipyard personnel, who have held senior positions in shipyards such as in Germany, Ukraine, Korea and Japan and have a breadth of experience in ship recycling, repair and construction. Our passion, local knowledge, skills and experience make us well positioned to develop a viable business plan. The group’s core aim is seeing a refurbished Pallion shipyard undertaking a staged approach which would first see ship servicing evolve into ship repair, with this ultimately evolving into shipbuilding.'

If you are interested in supporting our organisation's aims to see the Pallion shipyard reinstated, then please see the below 'Facebook' and 'LinkedIn' pages for all details.

'Reinstate Sunderland Shipbuilding’ is a group of current and former shipyard personnel, who have held senior positions in shipyards such as in Germany, Ukraine, Korea and Japan and have a breadth of experience in ship recycling, repair and construction. Our passion, local knowledge, skills and experience make us well positioned to develop a viable business plan. The group’s core aim is seeing a refurbished Pallion shipyard undertaking a staged approach which would first see ship servicing evolve into ship repair, with this ultimately evolving into shipbuilding.'

If you are interested in supporting our organisation's aims to see the Pallion shipyard reinstated, then please see the below 'Facebook' and 'LinkedIn' pages for all details.

Is this proposal based on emotion, or is there a real business case?

If you can develop a viable business plan then the finding will come. Also the directors need to be seen putting there hands in their pockets too.

It's easy to spend others cash but become a lot more Wiley when it's your own

Is this proposal based on emotion, or is there a real business case?

Yes, there is a real business case and the level of interest we've had from the majority of sectors in the industry has been phenomenal. You will be able to see this on our 'LinkedIn' page.

We have been approached by various firms, companies and institutions on how they can help to take this further and we now have some very infuential and experienced personnel in our project team.

A real business case or a UKIP business case like you posted five years ago?

That was merely the very start of the idea, but over the past five years it has been substantially developed into what it is today and is not in association with any political party or group.

Last edited:
Yes, there is a real business case and the level of interest we've had from the majority of sectors in the industry has been phenomenal. You will be able to see this on our 'LinkedIn' page.

We have been approached by various firms, companies and institutions on how they can help to take this further and we now have some very infuential and experienced personnel in our project team.

Best of luck marra.

One of the sad things about the last election result was that it was a rejection of a great plan to invest in renewables in the north east.
It'd be great to see shipbuilding return but also it'd be great to see sunderland involved in the industry that will define the future too.

That was merely the very start of the idea, but over the past five years it has been substantially developed into what it is today and is not in association with any political party or group.

Is this business case contingent on council funding? I have neither LinkedIn or FaceBook.

Is this business case contingent on council funding? I have neither LinkedIn or FaceBook.

We followed normal procedure by first approaching the council and port with regard to dredging the river, but we were met with the same refusal that previous attempts to reopen the yard encountered.

This has now become an entirely non council funded proposal, though there will be an unavoidable political element to this given the nature of what we're trying to do.

We followed normal procedure by first approaching the council and port with regard to dredging the river, but we were met with the same refusal that previous attempts to reopen the yard encountered.

This has now become an entirely non council funded proposal, though there will be an unavoidable political element to this given the nature of what we're trying to do.

Indeed but if it doesn’t rely on public funding then it’s good news. Best of luck.

This seems like another "Adelaide" pie in the sky, wishful thinking vanity project.

This is no wishful thinking project - and certainly no vanity project. This is entirely viable and it is a facility that is of great interest to the many sectors of the wider maritime industry.

Do you not want to see long term, high skilled jobs return to the city?

This is no wishful thinking project - and certainly no vanity project. This is entirely viable and it is a facility that is of great interest to the many sectors of the wider maritime industry.

Having seen shipyards in other countries I really can't see how we can compete

We just don't have the waterside space
One of my all time favourite songs. Not sure whether I prefer the Elvis or Robert Wyatt version.
Gonna have to check out the RW version
👍

You need to get it up and running quickly marra. I've dusted down my City and Guilds final craft certificate in Marine Plumbing but I've only got two years till I retire :lol:

I worked at Doxys along with Laings and Thomsons back in the 70's.

Having seen shipyards in other countries I really can't see how we can compete

We just don't have the waterside space.

So far we have been approached and had genuine interest from the offshore, oil and gas, cargo shipping, subsea, module fabrication and super / mega yacht sectors - all of whom see that the key benefits of using Sunderland lie in having access to a port, immediate proximity to the North Sea and that the shipyard is a fully enclosed facility which is unique in all of the country.

Back