Reinstate Sunderland Shipbuilding

There are a lot of things that would need to get sorted for the government to meet the commitments they've just made on carbon and climate change targets. Investment in jobs, skills, businesses and technology to meet those targets is sorely needed. Just one example is coming up with a readily available and affordable alternative to gas boilers and water heaters.
Come to that, if some sort of technology could be developed for clean, powerful and affordable engines/turbines or whatever for ships, we could have a shit hot industry sector designing and building that and selling it to Asian countries instead of trying to compete with them on price in a declining technology sector
Yep

Heat pumps will be a massive market domestically- building and installing .

There will be a carbon tax soon - ships will be pushed down a fiscal and green slipway towards zero emission.

Green Hydrogen, ammonia , methanol , e-fuels- these are all technologies to get excited about .

I figured. Ive literally offered to personally show it to the Head of Corporate Banking for the bank I work for. No one has contacted me to take up my offer.

This is the same chap running the same campaign in Southhampton (apologies I wrote Portsmouth earlier)

This is the same chap running the same campaign in Southhampton (apologies I wrote Portsmouth earlier)

Oh. It does seem they are picking up on issues people are passionate about and suggesting they are the answer. I thought it was a Sunderland local very interested in the ship yards. This is political rather than substance by the looks of it.

You know when you get click bait adverts saying "This <insert local town> woman found an amazing thing and now dentists/doctors hate her", then go to stay somewhere else and you find the same woman has just moved to another local town? It sounds good but you realise it is just generated to appeal to clicks. This looks like the same thing, only a few humans rather than a script.

Oh. It does seem they are picking up on issues people are passionate about and suggesting they are the answer. I thought it was a Sunderland local very interested in the ship yards. This is political rather than substance by the looks of it.

You know when you get click bait adverts saying "This <insert local town> woman found an amazing thing and now dentists/doctors hate her", then go to stay somewhere else and you find the same woman has just moved to another local town? It sounds good but you realise it is just generated to appeal to clicks. This looks like the same thing, only a few humans rather than a script.

It's just to promote the political careers of some wacky right wingers. Thats why they are raising money for leaflets not to produce a business case.

A mate of mine lives in Iceland and he gets fantastic adverts like that "Real Woman in Husavik want to meet you now!"

Yep

Heat pumps will be a massive market domestically- building and installing .

There will be a carbon tax soon - ships will be pushed down a fiscal and green slipway towards zero emission.

Green Hydrogen, ammonia , methanol , e-fuels- these are all technologies to get excited about .
Ships are already looking at ways to reduce carbon emissions (and costs)

One vessel i attended even tried an experimental sail on the forepeak for when the wind was behind them. Unfortunately it tore and just dragged alongside them for a couple of days acting as a sea anchor and increasing fuel costs.
🤭

I had family working in the shipyards from the 1930s to the end. It would be a nice thing to see but won’t happen as all the skills required are long gone and those who could retrain them are also long gone.

They don’t plan on building ships..offshore service centre is the given title..you’d be surprised how many people with those skills are still knocking about..the obstacles of the state of disrepair the Pallion Yard is in and the river dredging make it nigh on impossible.

Any of these 'lads' under 50 and in fit state to work in a shipyard?

Read my post above..it’s not going to be a shipyard..offshore service centre.
Nice one. But you'll be hitting retirement by the time they get this up and running, if at all.

Why's it called 'Reinstate Sunderland Shipbuilding' then?

They’ve changed its name mate..on Facebook it’s now called ‘NE Marine and Offshore Services Centre’.

Last edited:
Read my post above..it’s not going to be a shipyard..offshore service centre.

They’ve changed its name mate..on Facebook it’s now called ‘NE Marine and Offshore Services Centre’.

This doesn't inspire confidence.

If they're talking about offshore engineering then do they still need the Pallion Yard?

This doesn't inspire confidence.

If they're talking about offshore engineering then do they still need the Pallion Yard?

Pallion seems to be the target like..I’m not really sure what type of work that entails..they put a picture of one of the Stena boats (which i worked on) on Facebook and were saying that these boats needed services and repairs..so that made it sound like their new fancy name was just a cover for a ship repair yard..and I mean ship repair is basically shipbuilding..it’s the same skills..I did it for a couple of years down Teeside when the yards closed and it’s horrible dirty work..I would have thought renewable energy would have been in the new name somewhere but..you made what I think is a good point in your post in saying ‘if it’s offshore engineering do they need the Pallion yard’..and as someone posted earlier..why don’t they look into further down the river..the docks on the Hendon side where AMEC were in 1993-4 time..cuts the dredging issue down a bit??

There seems to be a few outdated opinions on the Port. I would recommend having a look at their news page, there is lots going on.

Latest News | Port of Sunderland

I work for a large construction company, and we are pricing/hoping to start on a new factory unit down there in the new year. i was down a few months ago surveying the area, and there seemed to be a canny bit of civils work going on. looked like they were expecting a lot of activity in the near future.

Yes, me. Wouldn’t dee it though.🤷🏿‍♀️

I’m 56 and I wouldn’t do it again..not wanting to sound like a condescending old bastard but young people today would shit themselves having to do that for a living..dragging yales and jacks round double bottoms..banging your head off the manhole..no thanks.

Pallion seems to be the target like..I’m not really sure what type of work that entails..they put a picture of one of the Stena boats (which i worked on) on Facebook and were saying that these boats needed services and repairs..so that made it sound like their new fancy name was just a cover for a ship repair yard..and I mean ship repair is basically shipbuilding..it’s the same skills..I did it for a couple of years down Teeside when the yards closed and it’s horrible dirty work..I would have thought renewable energy would have been in the new name somewhere but..you made what I think is a good point in your post in saying ‘if it’s offshore engineering do they need the Pallion yard’..and as someone posted earlier..why don’t they look into further down the river..the docks on the Hendon side where AMEC were in 1993-4 time..cuts the dredging issue down a bit??
I dont think theres any viable space down the south docks now. The old AMEC (formally Greenwells) site is covered with warehouses and Le Blondes old dry dock isn't up to scratch. Apparently they're building a tyre recycling plant down there. Which is nice :lol:

Back