Red Dead 2 - No Spoilers

Spent hours on the bastard the other day and achieved nothing in terms of the story.

I rode as far north as I could for the crack and spent time looking at views off the mountains and seeing how far up dangerous cliffs I could get.
I played poker for about half and hour and for way to much into it.
I spent time trying to run over rabbits on my horse
I kept shooing people with arrows from a distance
Got pissed twice

Dicking about is quality in this game

Ah god, forgot once you get the panther you need from down by Rhodes, the "good" satchel becomes available, but you need a sodding cougar - I remember trying to go that challenge to bow and arrow 5 of them on that little road passage up north. Took days and I think that's when I started to get really bored of the game.
I'll still do it mind, but then I'll do something else for bit rather than grinding out collections.

Mind, I'm really enjoying it more in fullscreen 4k with the new PC - played in a window before, but DLSS means I can keep rock solid 60fps on my TV screen on really decent quality settings too - all with a 3060TI.
I always used to find cougars on that island in the northwest around where the legendary moose (I think) spawns.
I always used to find cougars on that island in the northwest around where the legendary moose (I think) spawns.
I meant northeast, not northwest 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
I meant northeast, not northwest 🤦‍♂️
After my 3rd night of wandering back and forth, I tried your suggestion. Didn't even realise I'd got to my waypoint before being attacked by a perfect cougar - nailled it, and now I have the super satchel.
I can actually play the game now.

Still not going to see Thomas Downes, and I'm also not saving Micah Bellend yet though. Fuck them both

After my 3rd night of wandering back and forth, I tried your suggestion. Didn't even realise I'd got to my waypoint before being attacked by a perfect cougar - nailled it, and now I have the super satchel.
I can actually play the game now.

Still not going to see Thomas Downes, and I'm also not saving Micah Bellend yet though. Fuck them both
I don't blame you. Well done on the satchel - that'll be the second thing I do when I start again. The first will be getting the Perlino Andalusian because I'm fed up with the Arabian hoying me off all the time.

Got almost everything upgraded in camp now - just need 2 more damn cougars. Also need 1 more (killed by arrow) for the huntsman challenge, so I guess I'll pop back up at some point and have another look.
Forgot the bugger down by Braithwaite is a Panther, not a cougar after taking the time to find that while I was in the area.

Had to laugh earlier, was walking past a cabin in the middle of nowhere, when the door opened and a grizzly charged right at me - from 10 yards away giving me no time whatsoever to react. Insta-death :lol:
Bastard.

Saved Micah. Felt like the discussions round camp had stagnated. Few more things going on now.
Still planning to leave Thomas Downes until the game forces me though.

I started again on Friday - all weekend went on the legend satchel and finding a f***ing badger.

Read the letter from Mary and the slimy bastard Strauss forced me to pay the Downes' a visit. :neutral:

I started again on Friday - all weekend went on the legend satchel and finding a f***ing badger.

Read the letter from Mary and the slimy bastard Strauss forced me to pay the Downes' a visit. :neutral:
Downes is the only thing on the map now, and has been for ages. Got all the legendary animals that I can at this point, I think there's 3 to go, but they're storyline ones I think. Maxed out one of the trapper challenges too, so have a full set of kit for that. Some of the challenges are nuts though, 40 odd herbs, but no checklist. No thanks!

I've been expecting to get a cut scene to force me to Downes for ages, but its just not happening yet.

Downes is the only thing on the map now, and has been for ages. Got all the legendary animals that I can at this point, I think there's 3 to go, but they're storyline ones I think. Maxed out one of the trapper challenges too, so have a full set of kit for that. Some of the challenges are nuts though, 40 odd herbs, but no checklist. No thanks!

I've been expecting to get a cut scene to force me to Downes for ages, but its just not happening yet.
I think you can 'open' the challenge for a look in.

I got it when I read Mary's letter.

Looking forward to just playing through some more tonight! Might go nab the chestnut Arabian since I've got my Perlino to bonded 4 already!

I think you can 'open' the challenge for a look in.

I got it when I read Mary's letter.

Looking forward to just playing through some more tonight! Might go nab the chestnut Arabian since I've got my Perlino to bonded 4 already!
That better than the White Arabian up in the north west corner?

That better than the White Arabian up in the north west corner?
I think the white is slightly better but it's much of a muchness. I'm swerving the white because it's a pig to keep clean and far too skittish. I went for the Perlino because it's a good hunting and fighting horse. God love her, I've been ambushed a lot and she's never hoyed me off yet. Stayed calm in the face of a cougar yesterday too.

I think the white is slightly better but it's much of a muchness. I'm swerving the white because it's a pig to keep clean and far too skittish. I went for the Perlino because it's a good hunting and fighting horse. God love her, I've been ambushed a lot and she's never hoyed me off yet. Stayed calm in the face of a cougar yesterday too.
Ah, I know what you mean there.
Where's that other one at?

With the kit I have on it, its one point of max across both stats. So aye, its pretty quick.
Did the Strawberry to St Denis dash last night, easily.
Precisely why I wanted an Arabian. Got the chestnut yesterday, named him Red Rum, he's a beaut.

Accidentally bought a saddle I didn't want and wasted all my money yesterday...robbed some coaches, honour in the toilet, did two missions and was $600 up. FFS.

Might go cougar hunting tonight to upgrade my alligator saddle. If I can be bothered, I'll knock up some potent predator bait and go panther hunting.

God, I love this game.

Precisely why I wanted an Arabian. Got the chestnut yesterday, named him Red Rum, he's a beaut.

Accidentally bought a saddle I didn't want and wasted all my money yesterday...robbed some coaches, honour in the toilet, did two missions and was $600 up. FFS.

Might go cougar hunting tonight to upgrade my alligator saddle. If I can be bothered, I'll knock up some potent predator bait and go panther hunting.

God, I love this game.
You're making me want to get back into playing.

I would put hours and hours into just trotting around exploring - can lose weekends on it.

God, I love this game.
I have more money than I could ever spend. Did all the treasure hunts early on, which get you $1000 each time.
You're making me want to get back into playing.

I would put hours and hours into just trotting around exploring - can lose weekends on it.
Funny you say that, doing that dash from Strawberry to St Denis, there were about 4 random events that I had to ignore

I have more money than I could ever spend. Did all the treasure hunts early on, which get you $1000 each time.

Funny you say that, doing that dash from Strawberry to St Denis, there were about 4 random events that I had to ignore
I did the statue puzzle, but Pearson's tools, Dutch and Arthur's lodgings and the Horse Station put paid to that, with a nice, engraved volcanic pistol at the end. :lol:

Back