Recommend a film people may not have seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna watch 'out of the past' tonight based on your recommendation seeing as it comes after The Big Heat which i love.

If we are going golden age, then

The Big Sleep
Witness for the prosecution
Dial M for Murder
And my all time favourite - 12 Angry Men

Other from left field-

Carnage, with Christoph Waltz etc.. based on the stage play. Truly awesome in its simplicity and delivery
I hope you enjoy it. Robert Mitchum at his hard-boiled best.
Strangely enough I've rewatched:
The Big Sleep
Witness for the prosecution
Dial M for Murder - all in the last few months. Re Dial M - I'm not a fan of Grace Kelly, and always want Ray Milland to succeed!
Going to watch the original Cape Fear tonight. Mitchum is extremely unsettling in the Max Cady role.

Untouchable. A stuffy paraplegic Parisian millionaire hires a patently unsuitable pot smoking ex con from the projects as his live-in carer. A superb, funny/poignant film with outstanding performances from the two central characters. A French film with English subtitles. (Albanian/Gaelic may also be available. I didn't check)
Is that the one with fake Dustin Hoffman in it, enjoyed that.

Preferred scent of a woman, similar films I thought

I probably watch this every year but guessing no one under 40 will know about it.

Used to be a guilty pleasure of mine. Haven't seen it in years.

I'll chuck some film noir in:
The Big Heat
Out of the Past
In a Lonely Place
-The last two with a favourite of mine, Gloria Grahame - the subject of Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool (2017) an excellent film about her later years.

I should probably tagged you in the OP to save time, I knew you would have some top quality recommendations

Something underrated or less well known, that you think is worth a watch.

My go:

The 1984 follow up to the undisputed Kubrick classic 2001. It suffers by comparison to the first film but I have a real soft spot for it. It was one of the first proper sci fi films I ever saw, and it has a real humanity and depth to it.

Not everyone agrees with the idea of explaining so much of what went on in the first film, or whether to have a sequel at all, but I think it stands on its own as a worthy film.

A great supporting cast including Helen Mirren and John Lithgow, and the late great Roy Scheider in the lead giving the film some real oomph.

Genuinely thought this was a wind-up.

Sebastiane, Derek Jarman.
I probably watch this every year but guessing no one under 40 will know about it.

Used to be a guilty pleasure of mine. Haven't seen it in years.

I'll chuck some film noir in:
The Big Heat
Out of the Past
In a Lonely Place
-The last two with a favourite of mine, Gloria Grahame - the subject of Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool (2017) an excellent film about her later years.

In a Lonely Place is a masterpiece, mind.

The Wailing - Korean with English subtitles

Death Sentence - Kevin Bacon, top class revenge thriller

Arlington Road - Mystery thriller

The Hills Have Eyes remake - Horror

Oblivion - Tom Cruise sci-fi action

Snowpiercer, that was on film4 last neet, was canny. Stars yon captain America, billy Elliot and bud off the abyss.

Amazing Mr Blunden - fantastic tale to watch with the kids on a Sundsy pm.
Sideways - not to watch with the kids.
Midnight Run - De Niro CAN do comedy.
Hell and High Water - Jeff Bridges' finest hour?
La Haine - superb, super-gritty disaffected urban youth film.
Somebody Up There Likes Me - Paul Newman is magnificent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back