Recommend a film people may not have seen

Dead Mans Shoes
Was just flicking through the thread to see if anyone had already suggested this. I’m surprised how many people haven’t heard of it whenever I bring it up in conversation. I’d suggest the warriors, although it’s got a fairly big cult following so most people have probably seen it!

Also another good film about food is Burnt. Set in London and Brad Cooper main actor. Darker than Chef but makes ya feel hungry like
Mud - Matthew McConaguhey is class in it

on subject of McConaughey, then Killer Joe (2011) where director William Friedkin (French Connection, Exorcist, To Live and Die in LA) is back to best dark self :cool:

Love a thread like this. Lots of recommendations to sift through.

Here's an oldie I got from a podcast recommendation;

A Man Escaped – 8.5/10

Struggling to think of a film as old as this, that holds up as well as this, that I’ve enjoyed as much as this. Made in 1956, acclaimed director Robert Bresson crafts together a wholly authentic story about a captured French soldier who attempts to escape a German prison during the second world war.

This is a real filmmaker’s film and shows minimalist cinema at its finest. On the surface, it’s very stripped back and straightforward. The escape strategy is communicated in a way reminiscent of a step-by-step manual. Detailing every single aspect in minute detail and making no attempt to conceal the outcome. Crucial pieces of information are delivered in the past tense showing that the ending is not meant to surprise anyone, and the focus is the escape process itself.
Bresson uses a variety of techniques to create suspense and claustrophobia. Perhaps the most important aspect being his use of sound. The sound design here is incredibly important to the story. There are scratches, creaks, taps, knocks, footsteps and gunshots throughout, and they are all key to the plot. Some are cues to let you know the protagonist is in a heightened state of awareness. Others, such as the frequently heard gunfire, are to alert you of unseen dangers and drive home that sense of peril that permeates throughout the entire film.
As someone who has grown up with modern movies, I tend to expect grand finales that are loud and full of spectacle. The ending here is the complete antithesis of a modern-day blockbuster. At first it felt underwhelming but on reflection, I’d say it was simple and satisfying. An iconic piece of filmmaking history that should be celebrated more widely. Citizen Kane is frequently cited as being a masterclass in revolutionary story telling/film-making techniques. Surely, for 1956, this must have been equally ground-breaking?

Love a thread like this. Lots of recommendations to sift through.

Here's an oldie I got from a podcast recommendation;

A Man Escaped – 8.5/10

Struggling to think of a film as old as this, that holds up as well as this, that I’ve enjoyed as much as this. Made in 1956, acclaimed director Robert Bresson crafts together a wholly authentic story about a captured French soldier who attempts to escape a German prison during the second world war.
…..

a good tip - will check it out
Strangely it immediately reminded me of that film 'The One That Got Away' with Hardy Kruger where he plays a Nazi POW trying to escape from camp up in Scotland (near Crieff) which came out only a year later - 1957

Untouchable. A stuffy paraplegic Parisian millionaire hires a patently unsuitable pot smoking ex con from the projects as his live-in carer. A superb, funny/poignant film with outstanding performances from the two central characters. A French film with English subtitles. (Albanian/Gaelic may also be available. I didn't check)

I probably watch this every year but guessing no one under 40 will know about it.

Used to be a guilty pleasure of mine. Haven't seen it in years.

I'll chuck some film noir in:
The Big Heat
Out of the Past
In a Lonely Place
-The last two with a favourite of mine, Gloria Grahame - the subject of Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool (2017) an excellent film about her later years.

Gonna watch 'out of the past' tonight based on your recommendation seeing as it comes after The Big Heat which i love.

If we are going golden age, then

The Big Sleep
Witness for the prosecution
Dial M for Murder
And my all time favourite - 12 Angry Men

Other from left field-

Carnage, with Christoph Waltz etc.. based on the stage play. Truly awesome in its simplicity and delivery

Back